Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to put this but I guess this forum might fit. The reason why this is in my mind at the moment is because of an injury I initially sustained back in 2006 never fully healed and now I may go under the knife to reconstruct my ankle. When I was a teenager I was a pretty decent boxer. Bare with me because I'm gonna go through a lot of coaches but it will make sense. My original boxing trainer was the best teacher and I made good progress with him but he was crazy and ended up in jail. What followed was a struggle to replace him. So I found the other local boxing gym and went there. The trainer there liked my ability but he was an egotistical jackass who lacked intelligence, barely taught anything, and tried to belittle his teenage boxers and acted like everyone was just there to work hard and represent him gym. It would have been more excusable if he was good or intelligent but he wasn't. Naturally I left after spending some time there. I found another gym but had to travel. After 2 or 3 months at that gym it shut down because the guy didn't pay his rent. After a few months off this other guy who I knew invited me to his new gym. This guy actually used to train my second trainer back in the 90s and he showed up at the guys gym every now and then and seemed decent. I went. This is where the physical problems started. The guy wanted me to go into the Golden Gloves since I was now old enough to do so. This is a popular amatuer tournament and in my region the finals were held at Madison Square Garden back then so that became my goal. I wouldn't have been satisfied with anything but a deep run. We had One week I kinda rolled my ankle and seemed to have a minor injury. No problem. However one week later I was boxing and the ankle went out and I collapsed. I forget how many days I took off after that because the trainer was trying to convince me to just work the mitts right after the injury and though it would be ok. (Dope) It was probably back in the gym a week later. I trained hard and he pushed me hard. Then one day I am going for a jog and I feel this sudden rush of pain like the ankle is about to give again if I take another step and I hop on one leg. It didn't give out, but I cut the jog short. I mention to him that the ankle is still giving me problems but hoped it would go away. Suddenly this started happening more and more. I would jog and I would end it on one leg. The ankle was becoming less tolerant. I told the trainer that I didn't know about this tournament but he started saying things like "Registration deadline is 2 weeks away, you gotta get it in". I think the deadline was early january. I noticed that my conditioning wasn't what it was in the past and was lacking and my balance and stability also started feeling iffy. I should have stopped there but hey, I was a teenager being pushed on and I still held out a little hope. The guy kept bringing up the countdown to the registration deadline as things weren't getting better for me. He started saying things about how I need to train harder and get in better shape and pushed me on. ( I had some limitations there jackass). Anyways opening night of the gloves was in late january and the finals were in April so I didn't really see my ankle holding up all that time or even unti March. Forget winning without being near my best, how much longer could I keep training with him pushing me on? So then I told him, in person, that I did not sign up and maybe next year. He said "WHAT" all surprised. He acted like he wanted to say something but said nothing. The next day I get a phone call from him that shocked me. He told me to go back to the other guys gym (Second trainer) and that it would be for the better. This seemed crazy to me because all the guy did was make fun of this guys gym and intelligence. Now he's telling me it's a good idea? He already talked to the guy and had it arranged before he called me and told me that the guy wanted me back. Then he acted like he was trying to hit me with that and run. I questioned him and asked him if it was a good idea. After all, he had mocked that guys gym and I already left that guys gym so he might not be so cool with it and things might be uneasy between us. He kept going "ya ya ya" and seemed to be trying to get me off the phone with me ASAP. He wanted no business telling me this in person but wanted to drop this on me on the phone and then hang up and leave me to deal with this bad ankle that I tried on for a while and that he kept pushing me on. I was so shell shocked that I was actually dumb enough to have a meeting with the guy he sent me too. (Second trainer). Part 2 in a few minutes

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I go back to this guys gym to talk to him because apparently he just wanted to have a meeting with me. I walk in and say hi to him. He doesn't say hit. He just has this mean look on his face and nods his head. Then he goes to the assistant trainer and goes "Put him on the scale" in a hard tone like I'm a piece of meat or something. I walk in his office after that and he sits me down. Immediately he starts saying "You know I keep hearing all this crap about you complaining about your ankle." He spends the next 20 minutes running me down and belittling me and I'm reminded why I left his gym only this time it's 3x worse. He is clearly bitter that I left and I was misinformed when I was led to believe he really wanted me back and that it would be a good idea. He told me I need to get in his gym, start training hard, and start earning some of his respect. He asked me why I didn't go in the golden gloves and said that I was mentally weak. I mentioned my ankle even though earlier he said I was complaining but I didn't care because I was gonna keep complaining so long as he was being an ******* about it. He told me that I wasted 2 years of my life. (Not sure where this came from. I guess he meant because I left his gym even though It was closer to 1 year) Christ man, was it so bad that I wanted to go in next year while I was hopefully healthy? He tried to tell me that I needed to suck things up because he fought with a bad elbow once. (He knew nothing about the injury, but comparing an elbow to the ankle is pointless anyway. They are in no way related) He said that I better get serious or I better take a hike. He said that excuses are like *******s and everyone has one. After about 20 minuted of this guy lashing out at me while being beat red in the face I finally stood up to him and told him that I was taking time off to let things heal weather he liked it or not. I explained to him some of the problems I had running and he let up a bit. However he ending it by standing up and saying "By the way, the gym is 100 dollars a month now instead of 50" like he was making some sort of point. I guess he thought he had me back now so he could talk to me like that. I walked out of that office, once again shell shocked. Was this guy trying to run a business like this? He obviously raised the price to keep himself in business and needed company. When I got out of the office the other trainer said "How did it go". The head trainer goes "Pumping the juices" all egotistical as if belittling me for citing an injury worked. I couldn't believe the other trainer led me into this. This bugged me for a few months but it was the last time I ever saw either one of those trainers. I took about 4 months off, went to Physical therapy, and very slowly felt better. After 4 months I went back to the guy whose gym closed down because he opened up another one and in my mind I was gonna go in next years Gloves just to get over that whole experience. After 2 and a half months my ankle had gone bad again and was really uncomfortable. It stayed bad. So much for that. My ankle has been on and off ever since and I didn't think that much about it until recently. That was 2006-2007. Now it's 2014. The 3 ligaments in my ankle have become more stretched again, especially the inner one and I have been on the verge of surgery for months and it's not getting much better. I might opt for it because it's tough to walk now and the Surgeon only said that PT was "Worth a shot". In other words it will probably never be quite right again. It hasn't felt much better since and I'm going back to the surgeon. I thought of how this began and traced it back to 2006 and looked up this guys gym page. He has comments on his page like "We make a difference in our kids lives" and "Former members are family and are welcomes back".(Wonder If I'm invited back after he ditched me with an injury and then tried to get off the phone) This makes me consider doing the following options.

1) Calling him.
2) Writing a letter
3) Writing a bad review to make sure my experience prevents another teenager from going there
4) If I grow some social confidence, showing up at his gym and making him face me and explain his actions instead of how he said nothing and called me on the phone the next day and fed me to the wolves.

Ironically, this guy didn't have many amatuer bouts himself. I had more than he did in his day actually. So I'm not sure why he was so upset with me not competing and wanting me to compete for him. It was also a little weak in character for him to pull the phone business to tell me that because he knew what he was leaving me to deal with.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I agree, they should have been more straight forward, understanding, and clear with you. Honestly, I can't imagine why they would behave in such a way. I believe you should usually trust your body's signals, I think you were right to be worried.

One thing that I dislike about gyms is the people who typically run them, they too often put on a front and have ulterior motives, which isn't necessarily an issue, it's just that sometimes they go about accomplishing their goals in unimaginative and/or disagreeable ways.

At the very least, for sure, write a review about the gym... I always read those lol. You might want to wait until after you confront the trainers first though.

·
the last song ♥
2,414 Posts
write an angry letter but dont send it

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One guy is a big guy with a history of fistfights and zero accountability of his own flaws. Not worth it. The other guy seems like a 2 faced phony who probably hoped to never see me again. More worth it. Besides the other guys gym went out of business.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts