Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Angst Abolition
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like the only reason I avoid people now is because of how my face and eyes react whenever I make eye contact.

Prior to this year, my social anxiety surrounded a lot more than that. But now I can see so clearly (no pun intended) that for the most part I'm avoiding the tension that arises when I try to look at people. It's just this physiological issue, as opposed to this web of negative beliefs and such.

its very frusturating. Nothing I've tried has helped. At all. I can look at people in the eyes, sometimes more than they can..but the whole time it's almost like I'm conscientious of the tension in my face..or looseness..it's the conscientiousness that causes awkwardness. It's so frusturating. I feel like if that one issue was gone, I truly would have no problem just trying to talk to people.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't actually get what's going on, but have you tried googling it at all? I don't know if I'm close, but I've been told by a few people that I look "*****y", so I force myself to widen my eyes a bit and consciously relax my face.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Do you have a doctor or someone to talk to about it? Unfortunately I don't know much past that because I don't find it physically draining. Do you do this often or only sometimes? I wonder if you do it often enough, it might eventually become more natural for you, and therefore less draining? Just a thought.

·
God, Family, Homeland
569 Posts
It's still subconscious thought patterns that are getting to you. Otherwise, there would be no reason for your sympathetic nervous system to kick into overdrive every time you lock eyes with someone.

If it wasn't for that, you'd look at someone's eyes no different than you would look at anything else. Maybe it would help if you focused near their eyes instead, like the bridge of the nose or the eyebrows. Then you could move to the sclera and then finally the pupils.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts