Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of my fifth week of my freshman year in college, and my SA has completely taken over my life. For the first week or so I actually really enjoyed myself. Me and one of my best friends from high school went out to a lot of parties and I actually met some people. I was always busy and even though I didn't make any close friends, I was being sociable and made contacts. I guess it was the alcohol that helped me be a little more outgoing and friendly. I even met a cute girl who I really thought was interested in me, and I was genuinely interested in her (we kissed, she slept in my bed a couple times).

However, everything has taken a turn for the worse since then. My friend, who I've known since middle school and hung out with daily in high school, has completely abandoned me. For whatever reason he decided that he didn't want to be around me anymore. I haven't done anything with him in over two weeks, and we pretty much don't speak anymore. I tried to talk to him about it, but he would always avoid the issue. I don't know what I did wrong, but our friendship is basically over. He was the only real friend I had here, and losing him leaves me with nothing. To make matters worse, he is constantly hanging around with the only people I've really met, which pretty much prevents me from hanging out with them (if they even want to, they haven't contacted me).

And this girl doesn't seem to want to be around me either. Even though it seemed like we were really hitting it off, she only speaks to me through occasional texts and Facebook messages, and we haven't done anything together in a long time (even though she lives just a floor above me). She is very outgoing, and I figure she finds my shyness in public unattractive. I also learned that she has since kissed another boy, who she spends a lot of time with. I really do like her and had hopes of being in a relationship with her, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I got a taste of what college life could offer, and I thought I was finally breaking out of my shyness, but these past few weeks have been by far the most difficult of my life. I've always struggled with meeting new people, but I've never felt this abandoned and hopeless. Not only can I not meet new people, but I can't even hang around the few people that I have met. I have nothing to do anymore, and I never leave my room because I feel too embarassed to be seen alone all the time. I'm in a constant state of depression, and I have to go home on the weekends because if I don't, I'm afraid I will hurt myself. I have never been satisfied with my life, but I've never had this desire to end it either. I know it may seem immature to think about killing myself over losing a good friend and being heartbroken by a girl I barely know, but understand that this was all I really had.

I don't know what to do to turn around my situation. I feel like I need to get out and meet new people and try to start over, but I've never been able to do that before and I don't know how I'm going to do it now. I've been seeing one of the school counselors, but that hasn't done me much good. If you guys have advice at all, I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What about joining some fraternities and clubs on campus to meet people? Also, I would definitely find a good therapist because what you are thinking is not good at all. You sound very depressed. If you are not on medication, you may need to see a psychiatrist to try meds for depression.

Have you asked the girl you are interested in out on a date?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about joining some fraternities and clubs on campus to meet people? Also, I would definitely find a good therapist because what you are thinking is not good at all. You sound very depressed. If you are not on medication, you may need to see a psychiatrist to try meds for depression.

Have you asked the girl you are interested in out on a date?
I would join a frat or a club, but I don't think I have the courage to do it. These past few weeks have been so hard on me that I automatically assume that I am unwelcome wherever I go. My next appointment is on friday and I will ask my therapist for a prescription, because I really do I think I need it.

And no, I haven't asked her out on a real date. I've gone out to eat with her a few times, but nothing too serious, and this was all 2 or 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would join a frat or a club, but I don't think I have the courage to do it. These past few weeks have been so hard on me that I automatically assume that I am unwelcome wherever I go. My next appointment is on friday and I will ask my therapist for a prescription, because I really do I think I need it.

And no, I haven't asked her out on a real date. I've gone out to eat with her a few times, but nothing too serious, and this was all 2 or 3 weeks ago.
Dude,

This girl probably thinks you blew her off. Girls like to be asked out on real dates. The worst that can happen is she says no. Take care. There are plenty of girls out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts