Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't talk to people I don't know for my life.

So, my best friend and I were talking on the phone, and we got into my anxiety, and she wanted me to role play so I could get SOME sort of a confidence booster. I don't exactly do well with role plays because I know it's not real and I know who is really going on, but I felt like it helped.

She forced me to say she was a shy girl I feel like I want to know, sitting alone in the library, and said I had to go over and say hi (as an example) and compliment her, and start a conversation. Obviously, she doesn't understand that I completely suck at this, since she's pretty popular and social, but encouragingly, I got past the "hi" and "what's up" parts with no problem, which I usually have trouble with. I feel like now I have to take this into real life and I'll be seeing her tomorrow, probably having a million chances to talk to this girl again, and I just see it as a really encouraging thing that I'm even making progress.

I'll hopefully update tomorrow after gym to see how this goes, I doubt I'll make an attempt to, but the fact that I'm going this far to force myself to make an effort (along with a goal list on my livejournal) is encouraging.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I just got home from school, and she wasn't in gym class, or in school today from what I saw, and there were some other people I tried to talk to on the bus, but I didn't particularly do well.

But hey, I tried, and I feel pretty damn happy about it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts