Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a christian, I was raised in a christian home. I accepted Christ when I was six. Yet my life has been incredibly difficult. Lately I have been struggling more and more with fear, anxiety, anger and loneliness. I'm so conflicted by everything I know about God and being a Christian compared to the way I feel. I don't fell happy I don't have joy. I feel the opposite. I literally cry out to God and get no answer, no comfort, no relief. I'm tired of crying to him, asking him for help and getting no answer. Then I wonder what am I doing wrong, what sin do I need to confess, who do I need to forgive. I want to give up, maybe God isn't real maybe the beliefs I have been raised in are just stories. Yet there's something deep inside me that can't let go of those beliefs.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Believing in your faith or not will not change your situation. I hope you know that you aren't being punished and that you can still change your life and be happy. I'd offer advice but I don't know what it is that's tormenting you so badly.

I'm sorry that you're in pain.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm a christian, I was raised in a christian home. I accepted Christ when I was six. Yet my life has been incredibly difficult. Lately I have been struggling more and more with fear, anxiety, anger and loneliness. I'm so conflicted by everything I know about God and being a Christian compared to the way I feel. I don't fell happy I don't have joy. I feel the opposite. I literally cry out to God and get no answer, no comfort, no relief. I'm tired of crying to him, asking him for help and getting no answer. Then I wonder what am I doing wrong, what sin do I need to confess, who do I need to forgive. I want to give up, maybe God isn't real maybe the beliefs I have been raised in are just stories. Yet there's something deep inside me that can't let go of those beliefs.
I feel the same exact way.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
If Jesus were alive today, I think he'd tell you to look outside of your wants and desires to find fulfillment in life.
It seems like you're frustrated and upset over what God hasn't given you, when it's really just your perspective on life that needs to change. Jesus would want you to focus less on what you want, and more on how to help others enjoy life.
Instead of praying to God for things that would make you smile, do something small to help another person smile. Love your neighbor as you love yourself...

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Sounds like you're experiencing what people of every faith often experience, that which is called "the dark night of the soul." Trying too hard, stress, depression etc. can interfere with one's spiritual development/ health. Sometimes it is better to take a break, for however long (weeks, months, etc.) to reassess and renew.

It could also be that you need to explore other faiths, too. In my opinion, there are many ways to the divine, and spiritual wisdom is... well, a lifelong acquisition best nourished from many sources.

That said, even people of the greatest faith (think Mother Teresa) have, at times, their doubts-- their "dark moments." Yours is a "normal" part of spiritual growth, should you choose to see it that way.

Just follow your heart, for it will not lead you astray.

From a Pagan perspective: link

·
Simple Man
253 Posts
I'm taking a long break. Good point by the guy above. :clap

No matter how much i read the bible or prayed, i still felt Nothingness. It was depressing in itself.

I felt like i was taking too much pressure from christianity. Like i cant live up to its standards. Yet as i've branched away i am having more problems with my anger and tolerance towards people. I guess its because i don't feel like i'm having someone over my shoulder telling me i should be more kind.

·
Registered
200 Posts
. . . . . Lately I have been struggling more and more with fear, anxiety, anger and loneliness. . . . . I literally cry out to God and get no answer, no comfort, no relief. I'm tired of crying to him, asking him for help and getting no answer. Then I wonder what am I doing wrong, what sin do I need to confess, who do I need to forgive. I want to give up, maybe God isn't real maybe the beliefs I have been raised in are just stories. Yet there's something deep inside me that can't let go of those beliefs.
Without God, I was alone in this world (or I felt like I was alone, with noone else to rely on). Without God, I became afraid of what other's thought of me, avoiding anxious situations, thinking people were against me, and being very lonely.

After I found God, through Jesus' teachings, I was never alone. God gave me strength, and helped me realize that I was too focused on me (too focused on what people thought of me) that it kept me from living. Being God focused, allowed me to stop being selfish, and try to become more selfless, trying to please God.

559 Posts
I'm taking a long break. Good point by the guy above. :clap

No matter how much i read the bible or prayed, i still felt Nothingness. It was depressing in itself.

I felt like i was taking too much pressure from christianity. Like i cant live up to its standards. Yet as i've branched away i am having more problems with my anger and tolerance towards people. I guess its because i don't feel like i'm having someone over my shoulder telling me i should be more kind.
:ditto I'm going through this right now as well it feels.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Maybe you aren't looking where God might actually have information for you.

For some things, you have to be shown through other people. :yes.

·
Registered
444 Posts
chrish08 said:
I literally cry out to God and get no answer, no comfort, no relief. I'm tired of crying to him, asking him for help and getting no answer. Then I wonder what am I doing wrong, what sin do I need to confess, who do I need to forgive. I want to give up, maybe God isn't real maybe the beliefs I have been raised in are just stories. Yet there's something deep inside me that can't let go of those beliefs.
I'm in a similar situation with faith/religion currently. I'd like to have faith or find some meaning I can devote myself to, but I don't believe in God (which is not to say that I don't think about the idea of God a lot). I'd like there to be an afterlife. I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't want to just be snuffed out at the end of life, but it would be dishonest of me to embrace a philosophy just because it gives a sense of comfort - I'd like it to be true.

·
Still searching..
400 Posts
Maybe you were using religion as a crutch. You will find god again...and probably in a much more significant way.

But it sounds like you have things to sort out first.

and I would encourage you to consider that realizing you don't agree with religion, or that you see faults in it, does not mean you have to believe in nothing.

·
Registered
351 Posts
There are times that I feel the same. But I always thank God for the meals I have or for coming home safely though.. I really don't understand how things work to be honest. I have friends who don't believe in God and talk so negatively towards religion and tell me that it's all made up bull**** and yet they live happy lives. In the other hand, I know this person who is really religious and she thanks God for having a fun class or for doing a good drawing and she is always happy as well. Always happy about having great friends, family and a great father.

It gets really confusing and I end up feeling like God picks his favorites and the others could struggle it out and I hate thinking like that, but I can't help it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Let's not make this a thread about whether Christianity is true. The question is where to go when God doesn't seem to be real or present.

I think the most important thing to have when religious doubt comes is the sense that you are able to decide. Trust your own competence.

If you talk to anyone else about your beliefs, a few will often try to take advantage of the opportunity to get you on their "side." This usually happens with family more than friends. You may be made to feel guilty or stupid. The people who make you feel guilty will act as if something's wrong with you. You will be told that you used to be a nicer person when you believed this or that, or that you're not trying hard enough to see the world their way (and if you did, they might say, you'd see things their way).

As far as trying to make you feel stupid, some will tell you that you're not mature enough or wise enough yet to decide whether God is real, whether such-and-such religion is true, whether a particular doctrine is true. This will most often come from people who either claim to have more experience with God (or possibly more experience that there is none) or more experience with life in general. These people are the hardest to deal with for those of us who have difficulty being assertive. Many people will act like you haven't looked into their religion enough, and if you try to have an honest conversation with them about it, you're likely to be faced with sarcasm and condescension. "You've read the Bible more than once? Oh that really makes you an expert!" "You're only such-and-such years old. Don't you think that's a bit young to whether such-and-such is true or not?"

Being "between beliefs" - even just between doubt and affirmation of one belief - sucks. The thing to do for now is to trust yourself. Don't let others talk down to you or try to make you feel guilty. Don't let them make you feel like your beliefs should line up with theirs or they'll be offended. If they are offended, it is not your problem. What matters is whether you can live with your own beliefs.

·
absurdinista
3,011 Posts
whether your god is real or not is irrelevant. whatever makes you happiest to believe is where i hope you are headed. good luck :)

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Spiritual Support
Faith based support. NOT for debate

Some posts were removed due to debates.

Respect the fact that the OP chose to make this thread in this (no debate) part of the forum, when they could have made it in a debate forum. They aren't looking for anti-faith arguments if they are posting here.

You are welcome to open up your own thread in a debate forum on any issues brought up here, but Spiritual Support and Agnostic and Atheist Support forums are for support only.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Some posts were removed due to debates.

Respect the fact that the OP chose to make this thread in this (no debate) part of the forum, when they could have made it in a debate forum. They aren't looking for anti-faith arguments if they are posting here.

You are welcome to open up your own thread in a debate forum on any issues brought up here, but Spiritual Support and Agnostic and Atheist Support forums are for support only.
And if you think your God is the ultimate answer, and final judgement, you are wrong, the final judge and jury is the super moderator. (who will soon delete this post) :)

One last thought, social anxiety stems from being afraid of the "super moderators" of this world. With God, we can be at peace with ourselves, even with "super moderators" judging right or wrong.

·
Daydreaming
586 Posts
These are just some thoughts I wrote down today and thought I would share them.

GOD WILL ALWAYS ANSWER, ALWAYS HELP even if it takes a long time… you just need to keep waiting, and have patience. In my situations over the years… I have waited, I have had patience too, and hope at times… but at other times, becoming SO hopeless….
Because we are human, we are only prone to excessive hopelessness, or feeling bad, or discouragement. No matter how deep it gets though, and no matter how much our minds might trick us… It will always end eventually and the sun will shine again!
God is always there. Just like this earth, it is always here, God created the earth, so God can never not be there… he always is, because he created everything.
Always remember: Faith is not a feeling.

I know how hard it can be. Keep hanging on, trying to have faith, and hang on to that bit of hope you may have inside of you, one day, it will all be over and God will show himself again. In times like this, we must not give up. :)
God can bring good out of this situation. You may not see it now, but you will someday.
For myself, even in times like this that made me want to forget God, give up on him... in the end, that only made me feel worse. Giving up on faith doesn't solve anything, but keep holding onto it does. I hope you will find some comfort soon!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts