Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
929 Posts
"At this point consider me "damaged goods"

Lol you're 16 brah.
There are people way older than you still in this mess. You have SO MUCH time to sort this out and live a happy life where you're able to be function well in society.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"At this point consider me "damaged goods"

Lol you're 16 brah.
There are people way older than you still in this mess. You have SO MUCH time to sort this out and live a happy life where you're able to be function well in society.
Time doesn't mean much when you're someone like me...
It's never gonna happen, a happy life.

Or at least I don't think it'll happen, it'd take a miracle no doubt.
Sixteen isn't that young either, two years and I'll be a man, hopefully.

Though that's doubtful as well, the way I'm going now.

·
This guy are sick.
120 Posts
I can relate to a lot of what you're saying, Sky.

I don't like most people. I've met very few people that I've actually liked since after secondary school and all of them apart from one has been online.
But it's even worse for me since I'm stuck in ****ty old alcoholic Ireland, where if going to the pub is not the only thing you want to do on a weekend, then you're not worth giving the time of day. People are so fake, empty and boring. I really can't stand them.
I don't want to pretend to be something I'm not so I've given up. There's no point in even trying to make friends because with such a low number of people and such lack of diversity, the odds are highly against me.

So yeah, it is really hard to seperate the wheat from the chaff, as you say, but from what I've seen of you on this forum, you're a nice guy, Sky. If there are any cool people, then you deserve to have them as friends, unlike me.
That's all I can really say. I don't have any answers for how to meet the good people. Sorry.

·
Banned
3,564 Posts
It's tough. If you're not planning on meeting someone or talking to people when you go out, chances are you won't because unless you have a really attractive personality or really good looks, people aren't going to just want to talk to you for no reason. So they don't even notice you, or what you're going through. All they see is a 16 year old kid, they can't see the loneliness or the pain. I can totally relate to what you're saying.

I'd given up too when I was your age (a couple years ago). I pretty much accepted that I was gonna live a crappy life, and decided that I was gonna live for myself and my family and hope for the best. So I told my parents about my anxiety (I'd hit rock bottom at that point emotionally and spiritually, I just hated my life), and they got me this awesome psychotherapist who specialized in teenagers. Honestly, he was the turning point for me. He was not only a great therapist, but he was a good human being, and believe it or not, like you I hadn't met many of them in real life outside my family.

I can't tell you that there are great people out there waiting to embrace you because I don't know honestly. I've met some nice people but I haven't met anyone who seems to want to be close friends with me so I'm still looking for those people :stu. But all I can say is keep hope alive, you seem like a good guy, once you start gaining control over your anxiety I'm sure people won't mind befriending you :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey, if you can make it to 20 it's smooth sailing.
There are people who would miss you in their life so do the right thing and stick it out. Find a peaceful place.

·
Greenmail
4,205 Posts
I literally CAN'T live my own life, I CAN'T be the person I want to be, I CAN'T have friends.
Stop saying I can't and start saying I will. Your post suggests that going outside and trying is not an improvement, just because you didn't do everything else you wanted to do.

What is the point in giving up? It doesn't get you anywhere and it never will.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
It's tough. If you're not planning on meeting someone or talking to people when you go out, chances are you won't because unless you have a really attractive personality or really good looks, people aren't going to just want to talk to you for no reason. So they don't even notice you, or what you're going through. All they see is a 16 year old kid, they can't see the loneliness or the pain. I can totally relate to what you're saying.
Quoted for my side in this. I totally "feel your pain" Skyla.

I'd given up too when I was your age (a couple years ago). I pretty much accepted that I was gonna live a crappy life, and decided that I was gonna live for myself and my family and hope for the best. So I told my parents about my anxiety (I'd hit rock bottom at that point emotionally and spiritually, I just hated my life), and they got me this awesome psychotherapist who specialized in teenagers. Honestly, he was the turning point for me. He was not only a great therapist, but he was a good human being, and believe it or not, like you I hadn't met many of them in real life outside my family.
I'm similar in this aswell, but I made a decision a different way, a lot more internalizing (and a lot more on my own) than Hopeful. I would have told my parents and all that, but I guess I was too scared (and too proud I guess also) to try to do it:

• I realized that my life "sucked". I hated my life at the beginning.
  • I pretty much sucked at everything, and still do.
  • But I just said that disliking myself and life for sucking eternally is futile, and I revised my motto.
  • So I decided that I am going to suck the best (or the worst) that I possibly can.
  • To do that, I like my faults, and take pride in my negative qualities, just as much as my positive qualities.
  • I like drawing cartoons and watching anime, so I just devoted my life to that: being essentially a "nerd for animation".
  • I just constantly express my personality, which is CHOC full of perverse forwardness, social awkwardness, unnecessary friendliness and comedy. Oh, and comedic anger, can't forget that!
I guess in a way though, Hopeful and I are opposites:
Hopeful strives to eliminate negativity to exude positivity (I think),
Whilst I view and express negativity as something positive, and exploit that.

Why am I typing this? My advice to you is: find some cool way of kicking your anxiety in the bud, or becoming friends with it or something. I'm sure once you find that, It won't be that hard to do get "better".

I can't tell you that there are great people out there waiting to embrace you because I don't know honestly. I've met some nice people but I haven't met anyone who seems to want to be close friends with me so I'm still looking for those people :stu. But all I can say is keep hope alive, you seem like a good guy, once you start gaining control over your anxiety I'm sure people won't mind befriending you :)
Yeah, pretty much this too.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Like someone else said you're only 16. There's no point in saying it's all over when you have plenty of time left. When you get in your 20s... that's when you have to worry if your situation hasn't changed.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all you nice people, great advice! I'll look back on this thread when I'm having a hard time...

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts