Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like going on Oprah and telling her my whole life story, and having people who I haven't seen in years because of my shyness, SA, and reclusiveness finally know the deal. I just want to let it all out, expose everything, shame or no shame, so it can be dealt with (preferably with Oprah's millions).

Ever feel like that?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More reasons I think I do this is so people can see that I am not "crazy." Because so many people have that stigma about people like us. And to give more exposure to it.

And because it might help others in my same situation.

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
I understand how you feel, there are times when I want to tell the world and everyone who knows me why I'm so quiet and have so much trouble developing friendships. I wish more people would shine a light on the millions of us who suffer social anxiety.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another thing, I hide out in my room when people come over, but I often think about just going out and sitting and talking and being there. And letting the chips fall where they may. It's to the point now where I'd rather be out and talking and being there with all my flaws and insecurities than hiding in my room.

Of course, it's not that easy, but I am working on doing just that.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yeah I thought about telling people, friends , classmates and so on. But unless they are sensitive caring people, they will tell you to stop being a wuss or something like that. I told one of my friends, he is a good friend but plays the macho crap like most guys do, he to (i believe) has SA, he doesn't go out and he isn't very .. outgoing (lol) but he uses excuses and BSs around it.
I guess my point is most people either won't care or won't understand how real and debilitating SA is.
lets go on Oprah together!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, all the time ! I wish I could tell everyone who ever knew me my story. Sometimes it's because I want sympathy but more often than not, it's because I just want to explain all my strange behavior.

But I won't tell anyone. This is the only place I talk about it. And sometimes I don't feel like I have a "real issue" so I would just get laughed at or something

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Id do it right now if Oprah actually cared

so i post it on sas instead

<---see, theres me!! come and get me world!

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
Oh I'm so glad you brought this up because I was thinking not too long ago that of all the topics they've discussed on Oprah, Murray, Dr. Phil, and all those talk shows, I've never once seen anything on Social Anxiety Disorder. I've seen shows based on phobias but they usually had to do with spiders, birds or body denial. This is why half the population has no idea our condition exist and they certainly don't believe us when we tell them or at least they don't understand it. Oprah has to be running out of things to talk about, she should eat this up.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
I remember oh too many years ago that Oprah did actually do a show that touched on this topic, but that was before SA really had a name. Unfortunate. There were two guys on there talking about how "shy" they were, one of them ran up a huge phone bill calling 900 numbers just for someone to talk to. the other spoke about how he hated to leave the house, that he thought he was unbearably ugly. He was actually rather unbearably cute. But, no matter how many people in the audience stood up to tell him so, you could see that he just couldn't believe it. he talked about ending his life one day. It was one of the saddest shows I ever saw, as well as one of the most awkward.

It was obvious that the audience may as well have been from one universe and the two guys from another. No one knew how to take it, or what to think.

·
Registered
153 Posts
you know back in the day, like 2 thousand years ago, SA wouldnt even be around....what is there to be scared of back then? oh my god there are so many trees on the other side of that river but i need those berries! lol....

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
you know back in the day, like 2 thousand years ago, SA wouldnt even be around....what is there to be scared of back then? oh my god there are so many trees on the other side of that river but i need those berries! lol....
That's probably because people didn't care about all the stupid things they care about today like fashion, cars, houses, well obviously they needed shelter but they didn't care what it looked like or what it had in it or what color it was as long as they had a roof over their head. I wish people were still like that. Very few and seldom do I meet someone who is just living to survive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts