Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so tonight i had the brilliant idea to go to a midnight release party for the movie twilight at my local borders. with no intention of actually buying the movie, i only wanted to meet girls (since the movie is very popular among girls my age)

so i dress up all cool and im looking downright adorable! of course this means nothing when you dont have the courage to even initiate a freakin conversation. so what do i do? i shop around the store for about 30 minutes, and slink away with my tail between my legs (didnt even buy anything)

im kicking myself right now because this was like the perfect opportunity, i even spotted a girl wearing sweatpants from the high school i went to (perfect ice breaker ugh) Im not unattractive, in fact i know im pretty cute, but thats not enough. it all just feels so unfair

so yeah im feeling like such a failure right now it sucks! an opportunity like that isnt just gonna pop up again :/

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yup, at least you went! And you stuck around for a decent time. Okay, maybe you didn't have quite the success you were hoping for, but that doesn't make it a failure. You should be proud of yourself. You went out on a limb. Maybe not on the highest limb of the tree, but definitely at least halfway up.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You made the effort and that in itself is a victory. But I understand how you feel because I used to put myself through the exact same thing. Years ago I would sometimes feel confident enough to put myself out there so I would get all cleaned up, put on my best clothes and find a place where I was sure to find single women. But once I was there I realized I still felt the same fear and anxiety I always had, that no matter how good I looked on the outside I was still just as scared and inexperienced on the inside as I had always been. So after spending a short time there I would often drive home crying because I felt so upset and frustrated.

I haven't done anything like that for years since because it's too depressing to go to those places where there are women but to be too afraid to approach them. I don't even want to go out in public anymore because I always see attractive young women or couples and it only frustrates me further. Not exactly the optomistic approach i know, but I can't put myself in those situations of trying to meet women anymore because the depression that follows after I fail is absolute torture, much worse than the pain of being alone. Nonetheless I admire your courage and confidence for trying, I hope you are able to do it again soon. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awe thanks guys, you make a good point, i would feel even worse if i had just stayed home

as for an initial plan; i guess i didnt really have one, was gonna wing it. was sort of hoping for someone to start talking to me or something

·
Registered
374 Posts
haha I work at wal-mart, and wow I've never seen so many people in the store at midnight..it was crazy..and yes there were tons of nice girls there..this really was a good idea for you, but I can't imagine how you could have started a conversation...the circumstance would have had to have been right, don't feel bad, really confidence guys would certainly be challenged to pick up a girl at a quick really 30 min event like this...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts