Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
A Person
6,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so basically i'm an office administrator. I come to work. sit down for 9 hours and do some boring ****e on a spreadsheet and leave.

During my stay at work i don't really talk to anyone. i might say hi and agree to whatever my bosses say but that's about it. it sounds like a dream. it really isn't.

everyone in my office is so quiet and doesn't talk. it's a far cry from my last office where office banter was ripe and encouraged.

everyone in my office is old with kids, i have nothing to relate to them, i have nothing to say to them at all. i've been working there for 2 months and the people i sit next with i barely know their names. I haven't really said anything to them and I'm with them 37 hours out of the week.

it's depressing. i spend more time with these people than my bloody family.

*sigh*

·
Registered
35 Posts
but for some people wouldnt this be the ideal job? Sometimes office banter can make someone with SA feel uneasy, especially if that person can't contribute / fit in like everyone else can?

My job is the opposite. It requires constant communication with all sorts of people (I'm a Business Analyst), and I'm constantly stressed about my performance. :(

·
A Person
6,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
at my last job i liked the office banter as i'm quite a jokey person anyway so it felt like i was part of the gang (i never feel like that)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I did that in my previous job then my boss criticized me for being too serious and never smile and my coworker won't leave me alone. I wish my coworker was like yours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
my last job I had a few weeks ago, temporary seasonal factory work, im talkin conveyor belt very repetitive and tedious boxing and packaging **** u know, anyway this was my second time doing this, did it last may and didnt mind the people I worked with too much, most were foreigners who didnt speak too much english anyway so it was great, so i decided to return this year, anyway it was only for 6 days (i ended up just doing 5) and on the 3rd day I was on a different line loading packaged full boxes onto pallets, there was two guys working with me one of them decided to call all the shots and tell us what to do, the other guy was a slow witted moron, anyway the "leader" was out getting a new pallet and me and dufus were standing there, he was trying to put the boxes in the right order but didnt know how cuz they were different sizes, I made a little joke, "lets wait for the other guy, he's the expert" he laughed, then when the other guy came back he said (in a tommy chong stoner kinda voice) "hey man I swear that guy just talked to me right now" and the other guy was like "oh ya? really? what was he talking to himself?" "ya, huhuhuhuh, we better not say anything he might kill us or something huhuhuhuh" then the "leader" tried to put his hand on my shoulder and say "hey man we're just joking" "its ok its cool we're just joking ok" I ignored and just kept staring forward thinking like really? wtf? is this high school all over again? I thought I was done with this ****, I'm 27 for crying out ****ing loud, so anyway I started getting lazy on purpose, I wanted to throw heavy boxes at their faces but decided not to for many obvious reasons, I just walked over to the front, got a little bit of water, drank it and went to the bathroom, not to go but to just sit in one of the stalls like i used to in high school and put my hands over my face pissed off, so after about 10-15 mins of cooling off, I return, but go to another line and start helping them, it was harder quicker work but it was better than dealing with a couple of retarded ****heads all day, plus it made more work for them so HAHA ... ugh, needless to say i wont be going back there again, well maybe idk about that yet, upcoming in may again they're gonna be hiring again and i would like the money, maybe this time i'll just bring my mp3 player and headphones and play music all day disregarding everybody and their stupid little comments or what ppl might say like I do whenever I go out to stores or walk my dogs etc... anyaway sorry for the long book u guys but i been meaning to get this off my chest for the past few weeks and really didnt know where i could vent/share and have people that understand until now

·
Registered
560 Posts
I would definitely like your work environment where people actually work, mind their own business and minimal interaction as possible. Far better than work drama of any sort.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've now reached that point where I can walk into the office, not say hi, bye or a single word for a whole day. All that really comes out of my mouth is the odd akward apology or chuckle when your trying to share a kitchen, narrow office space and a bathroom with colleagues. I'm not proud of this and was hoping this sort of work environment would help push me positively towards minimising SA, but instead I sometimes wonder if I have instead relapsed and gone backwards. Its come to a point where I cannot bring myself to walk over to someones desk or accompany them at their desk if they need my help, I just feel like the centre of attention around 30 people suddenly and get real jumpy inside. What bugs me more, is sure it has its quiet moments, but its otherwise a buzzing enough workplace with people mainly between 25-35, so it leaves me bothered that I'm fairly excluded. I just count my blessings I'm atleast employed . . . . But I feel like i'm trading what little confidence I have in me for money. :|

·
SAS Member
2,118 Posts
I just listen to music with my headphones on most of the time - work depresses me too much to really put me in the mood for talking to people to be perfectly honest. I do however talk a bit to the young guy who I sit next to - we get on quite well. I don't really have much to do with many of the others - they're all popping out kids, buying houses and discussing who has the best life insurance policy. Can't really relate to/care about any of that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts