Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It might seem strange that I do not fear public speaking to a ridiculous extent like I fear other forms of social interacting, but that is my case. This is fortunate for me as I hope to someday go to law school and become a lawyer (I know, a lot of lawyers don't even need to appear in court).

I think the reason I do not fear public speaking to the extent that a "normal" person does is because every second of my life feels like I'm on stage. When I'm walking down the street, when I'm ordering food at a deli, whenever I'm doing anything ORDINARY it feels like all eyes are on me. So when it comes to public speaking, its not that I thoroughly enjoy it or anything, but I'm so used to the "all eyes on me" feeling that I can perform pretty well. Its like I have 19 years of public speaking experience (I'm age 19 now).

Does anyone else notice this? I just wanted to point it out because its one thing SA has done to give me an advantage over a non-SA sufferer.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think you guys are lucky. I think if I would be able to speak publicly I would be pretty satisfied with my life. I suffer from both performance anxiety and one on one as well. But if I had to choose, I'd go with the ability to speak publicly. I could and probably should re-think this though. Be careful for what you wish for, right?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Does giving a speech or presentation in class count as public speaking? I haven't done it outside of a class assignment, but I usually didn't feel any more than a normal amount of nervousness when speaking in front of a class. I think it's because I'm too focused on what I'm presenting and it's less personal than actually interacting with someone.

It's really odd, the one time that people ARE actually focused on me and probably judging me, I'm not very worried about it. My mind is weird.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
I have a hard time understanding how anyone could find public speaking or anything like less frighting than more intimate situations. Public speaking offers you the opportunity to make a fool out of yourself in front of numerous people all at once verses one at a time. It's a very efficient method of humiliation.:lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a hard time understanding how anyone could find public speaking or anything like less frighting than more intimate situations. Public speaking offers you the opportunity to make a fool out of yourself in front of numerous people all at once verses one at a time. It's a very efficient method of humiliation.:lol
yeah but with public speaking EVERYONE is expected to be afraid of it. so most people making some sort of presentation will stumble a little bit or have a shaky voice. also, with a presentation or an argument in class you essentially know what you're going to say ahead of time. there is a specific subject matter. you're not expected to find some random topic and carry a conversation about it.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
yeah but with public speaking EVERYONE is expected to be afraid of it. so most people making some sort of presentation will stumble a little bit or have a shaky voice. also, with a presentation or an argument in class you essentially know what you're going to say ahead of time. there is a specific subject matter. you're not expected to find some random topic and carry a conversation about it.
When I look back on my experience in school I don't really remember anyone else showing any real anxiety during presentations, not even a shaky voice. I don't count stumbling over some words as a sign of any real anxiety though. But maybe times have changed I don't know. I think if you experience severe anxiety knowing what you are going to say ahead of time doesn't help much because you're likely to forget it anyway under the stress. With one person who cares what they think it's just one person, unless it's someone important to you.

Just one example of how bad things can get dong a public presentation :lol

Actually I don't know if this guy was really nervous or what. :stu

·
Worst poster, hands down
303 Posts
For me, public speaking is definitely a lot easier than talking in a small group or one on one with someone I don't know too well. Especially if I know my subject really well, I can actually be quite good at presentations and such, or at least that's what I've been told. This has been a big improvement over how I was only a few years ago. Now I can talk in front of an audience without appearing too nervous or uncomfortable.

·
Registered
126 Posts
[ So when it comes to public speaking, its not that I thoroughly enjoy it or anything, but I'm so used to the "all eyes on me" feeling that I can perform pretty well. Its like I have 19 years of public speaking experience (I'm age 19 now).

"I bet you got it twisted you don't know who to trust
So many playa hating ****** tryin to sound like us
Say they ready for the funk, but I don't think they knowin
Straight to the depths of hell is where those cowards goin
Well are you still down *****? Holla when you see me
And let these devils be sorry for the day they finally freed me
I got a caravan of ****** every time we ride (every time we ride)
Hittin mother***** up when we pass by (when we pass by)
Until I die; live the life of a boss playa
Cause even when I'm high, f*** with me and get crossed later
The futures in my eyes, cause all I want is cash and thangs
A five-double-oh - Benz flauntin flashy rings, uhh
B***** pursue me like a dream
Been know to disappear before your eyes just like a dope fiend
It seems - my main thang was to be major paid
The game sharper than a mother**** razor blade
Say money bring b****, b**** bring lies
One ****'s gettin jealous, and mother**** died
Depend on me like the first and fifteenth
They might hold me for a second, but these punks won't get me
We got foe *****, and lowriders, in ski masks
screamin Thug Life every time they pass {All Eyez On Me}"

HaHa!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
When I look back on my experience in school I don't really remember anyone else showing any real anxiety during presentations, not even a shaky voice. I don't count stumbling over some words as a sign of any real anxiety though. But maybe times have changed I don't know. I think if you experience severe anxiety knowing what you are going to say ahead of time doesn't help much because you're likely to forget it anyway under the stress. With one person who cares what they think it's just one person, unless it's someone important to you.
Most people are nervous about giving a presentation. Some people don't always admit it or show it but they are. Therefore people are more understanding if you mess up a presentation/speech (unless you are supposed to be a professional like a sportscaster). People aren't so understanding when you are nervous about socializing with a particular person or group. That's why public speaking is easier (yet not easy) for me.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Most people are nervous about giving a presentation. Some people don't always admit it or show it but they are. Therefore people are more understanding if you mess up a presentation/speech (unless you are supposed to be a professional like a sportscaster). People aren't so understanding when you are nervous about socializing with a particular person or group. That's why public speaking is easier (yet not easy) for me.
Well I think they understand it but probably as shyness and are not very tolerant of it and yes it's true I guess most people do understand more about stage fright and fear of public speaking. But for public speaking I'm talking about a real phobia not just messing up. When you're talking phobia it's like panic attack time. My experience with people's reaction was more like "dude what's wrong with you, get a grip." Most normal people have no idea what real phobic anxiety is, have never seen it or experienced it. Jitters, butterflies yeah but that's not a phobia. But the kinds of things we did in school, maybe a lot didn't like doing it but they sure didn't panic over it. And as a matter of fact up until grade 6 I had no real problem with it and actually enjoyed some of it.

One thing is though with me I'm not even sure the core issue is fear of what people may think anyway but how it makes me feel. It probably all boils down to what you feel more in control with.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well I think they understand it but probably as shyness and are not very tolerant of it and yes it's true I guess most people do understand more about stage fright and fear of public speaking. But for public speaking I'm talking about a real phobia not just messing up. When you're talking phobia it's like panic attack time. My experience with people's reaction was more like "dude what's wrong with you, get a grip." Most normal people have no idea what real phobic anxiety is, have never seen it or experienced it. Jitters, butterflies yeah but that's not a phobia. But the kinds of things we did in school, maybe a lot didn't like doing it but they sure didn't panic over it. And as a matter of fact up until grade 6 I had no real problem with it and actually enjoyed some of it.

One thing is though with me I'm not even sure the core issue is fear of what people may think anyway but how it makes me feel. It probably all boils down to what you feel more in control with.
I know where you are coming from. Many times I've done more than just mess up in a speech. One time when I was giving a speech, i tried to make eye contact with my audience. As I looked out into my audience it was a complete blur. I couldn't make out their faces or anything and I felt like I was going to faint. I almost panicked right there because nothing like that ever happened to me before. But, I looked down and finished my speech. Also, my legs were shaking, I was sweating, my heart was pounding...I wouldn't even bother to raise my arms because my shirt was drenched in sweat all the way down to my elbows from being so tense (with my arms glued to my sides). Yuck! I almost always got points taken off because of lack of eye contact, not speaking long enough, speaking too low/unclearly. But, the student evaluations of me were surprisingly nice! They said things like don't be too nervous/shy, make more eye contact...I was dreading that because I thought they would make all kinds of cruel comments.

Even worse, when I took French in college, another girl and I had to do a skit in French for a grade in front of a class of about 30. I panicked and completely forgot more than half of my lines. The teacher had the script and was trying to help me out by reading the lines to me. My partner remembered her part and mine and tried to help me out too. I was so panicky, I didn't even hear them. There was this long pause (seemed like minutes) in the skit. I wanted to sit back down because I was panicking. So, I skipped a huge part of the skit and just spoke some of my last lines. More than anything, I felt badly because I messed up my partner in the skit. It wasn't her fault she got stuck with an awful partner. Still she was very forgiving and understanding when I apologized to her in an email.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.