Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isn't this statement true for everyone?

I can look at a photo/video of my hand, look at a mirror image of my hand, AND look directly at my hand..... but with my face, I can only look at a mirror image or a photo/video image. I can NOT look directly at my face with my own eyes.

Only others can look directly at my face with their own eyes.

And direct human vision is the most accurate because ....

1. Mirrors = are not perfectly accurate: Why? Image is reversed. Mirror surfaces have imperfections (not perfectly smooth, light reflection/absorption differs from non-mirror image, dust on mirror, etc.). Viewing angles are limited.

2. Photos = are not perfectly accurate: Why? Only 2 Dimensional (a 3D image on a 2D surface is still 2D). Flash, pixel limitations, numerous color/brightness/etc. adjustment all distort the real image. Unnaturally still (even when we sleep we move some). Image display devices can also distort image.

As you can see, photos can be very inaccurate and even mirrors have inaccuracies.

It seems that only others truly know what our faces look like.

What do you-all think?

This thought came to me when I was contemplating the difference between my perception versus other perception of how I look. Maybe others have a more positive perception of how I look because they are seeing a different version of me. A version that is less distorted than the indirect images I see from reflections and pictures/videos.

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
I guess it depends from what angle you are looking at yourself and also facial expressions, lighting conditions, etc... can make people look different

1 - 3 of 3 Posts