Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is social anxiety or a speech disorder, but when I researched speech disorders nothing seemed to fit, so I considered social anxiety.

I don't feel uncomfortable in big crowds, or around anyone, and I don't get anxious. But if I start talking I get all red and frustrated and I start to stutter, no matter who I'm talking to or even what I'm talking about. But when I'm not talking I'm perfectly fine.

It takes me about five minutes to get up the courage to speak up in any conversation, and when I'm done saying something, my heart is still racing and I get really shaky.

So I don't know if it's a speech disorder or not. I've always had a small stutter, and some anxiety talking, but it's gotten worse over the years.

The rest of my family is really loud and outspoken, so I don't think it's genetic.

·
Day Of The Dead
945 Posts
Maybe you're worried you'll say something wrong, mix up your words, or offend someone? This happens to me sometimes. After someone says something, I think of a really good either smart or funny reply, but I hold back on saying it because it might offend someone.

Like for example this popular thing where after anyone says anything another person says "That's what your mom said last night" or something along those lines. Well one time someone said that to be funny and the dude who he said it to's mom was dead, and it wasnt funny at all.

So maybe you're worried about offending someone? Does this sound right? Or is it something else?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think so. It's really anything I say. Even saying "Hi" makes me get all shaky. I don't even think about whether or not something I say is going to offend someone, really.

I just don't know =/

·
Banned
227 Posts

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
You might have a low level of social anxiety, it fits the social part of it. Though there is a difference between having SA and being shy. If you feel like people are judging you when your talking then that would be a form of social anxiety. If your not sure if you should say something to someone or are feeling bashful about speaking then that is more a form of shyness. You could simply just me nervous. Some people have nervous disorders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts