Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is disgusting. Since I moved into my apartment a week ago, I've had to deal with sewer water coming up through the kitchen sink. So far, I've been unable to wash dishes or do anything in the sink at all, except cover it up. It went down and worked for three days, so I took the covers off and thought it was fixed (my landlords are "working on it", and have had plumbers out here working on the pipes), but last night I came home after being gone for 3 hours (it had been raining), and the apartment smelled again and the sewer water was back in the sink. I had to air the apartment out...now it's gone down again and doesn't smell, but god only knows when it'll be back up again.

I've complained about this so many times. I've called the emergency hotline for the people I'm leasing from, only to be told that it's not an emergency, and they'll take a message and 'get on it.' I'm sick of hearing that, I want it fixed right now. This is causing me so much stress, plus I don't know what kind of health problems you get from breathing in sewage, but I don't even want to find out. :eek:

I'm going to call my landlord today (if I can reach her, sometimes she doesn't answer her phone), and ask her what timeline they're thinking about. When it'll be fixed, what they're doing to fix it, etc. I want to know all this stuff; they've left me in the dark. It's on my lease that they fixed the plumbing problems, so I think they can also cut my rent as well. I'm not paying to breathe in sewage water.

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Sweet Jesus, that's horrific and disgusting in equal measures. The landlady really should cut down your rent to make up for this, it's unacceptable. If they don't do something really soon, I think you'd be entitled to make a formal complaint, or maybe ring the local environment agency or something? I don't know what exactly would be involved, but the landlady really should not have rented out the apartment at all if she wasn't even going to fix the problem before letting someone move in.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I called the board of health. They're going to get back to me in 72 hours.

I also called the main number for the realtor, and left a message for them to call me back when the office opens at 9. They're going to tell me exactly what they're planning to do, and how they're going to do it. No more ****ing around and keeping me in the dark.

If they don't straighten it out, I'm going to get the board of health to straighten it out for them. They sounded really concerned when they heard it was raw sewage (and rightfully so, it's disgusting!)

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
Under the Ohio Revised Code, you are allowed to pay your rent to the local Clerk of Courts (I believe) if your landlord isn't meeting the terms of the rental agreement. (Not doing repairs in a timely manner if probably a failure to meet these terms. Look it up in your lease.) The Clerk of Courts will hold the rent for the landlord until the terms are met. That way, you aren't in trouble for not meeting the terms of the lease by not paying your rent, but you are letting the landlord know that *they* aren't meeting *their* obligations and that they need to post haste. I think you also need to notify the landlord that you will be paying your rent to the Clerk of Courts in a letter or something. (It's been a while since I've had to know this. Sorry.)

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
Under the Ohio Revised Code, you are allowed to pay your rent to the local Clerk of Courts (I believe) if your landlord isn't meeting the terms of the rental agreement. (Not doing repairs in a timely manner if probably a failure to meet these terms. Look it up in your lease.) The Clerk of Courts will hold the rent for the landlord until the terms are met. That way, you aren't in trouble for not meeting the terms of the lease by not paying your rent, but you are letting the landlord know that *they* aren't meeting *their* obligations and that they need to post haste. I think you also need to notify the landlord that you will be paying your rent to the Clerk of Courts in a letter or something. (It's been a while since I've had to know this. Sorry.)

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)
this is good info. i wonder if NV has something like this

·
Registered
416 Posts
a good place to vent is http://aptratings.com
Find out your apartment name in that website and go for it.

landlords look at that website. and they get nervous when negative comments are posted about their apartments

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it looks like they're coming over to fix it today. I'm waiting for them to arrive, but that isn't strange - last time, it took until 2pm for the plumber to arrive.

If they don't fix it today, I hope the board of health makes them fix it soon. They called and left a voice mail while I was in class - waiting for the guy who did to return my VM.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
WintersTale, do you have SA? :lol
You are doing exactly what you should be doing. :boogie :boogie :boogie

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WintersTale, do you have SA? :lol
You are doing exactly what you should be doing. :boogie :boogie :boogie
I do. This is really hard for me, actually. I'm stressed, and I actually had to skip classes two days in a row last week because I was so stressed over this (my blood pressure rose, too, and I felt dizzy and got really bad physical symptoms.)

Since last Friday (a week and four days), I've had to deal with two classes, a guy coming to replace the ceiling tiles (he was here today, and he'll be back tomorrow morning to replace the remaining tiles), this sewage problem (which has led to me having a total breakdown and screaming at the people at the emergency number for this company), moving furniture in and getting adjusted to the place, dealing with plumbers, and also forcing myself to get to class, even when I don't want to. I still feel homesick, and I feel extremely uncomfortable here, but I felt the same way when I first moved away from home in 2005.

Add on that I'm also trying to find another therapist, since my old one seems to have quit on me. I am struggling socially; I felt really comfortable talking to the plumber, but the tile guy who came over today would not shut the hell up, and he made me extremely uncomfortable. It got even worse when he wouldn't shut up about girls and dating, since that's a subject that I'm not really knowledgeable about.

I guess what I'm saying is that I feel lonely, and I feel out of my element. I don't like all this pressure, and I moved away from home to be closer to college so I would have less pressure. The tiles and the sink were supposed to be fixed before I moved in; it's on my lease. They're actually deducting rent this month because of that, which is good, but still I can't handle all this pressure. And it's worse when you feel uncomfortable in a new place, and the new place stinks.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Well, to be honest, it really can't get much worse than what you have it.
You have done pretty well so far considering everything. You need to pat yourself on the back. If you can get through all of this, imagine what you can do. :)

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Wow, hope you have a dishwasher, cuz that is a whole new level of disgusting! Hope things work out for you soon.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
It sounds as if you're doing a great job at coping with terrible circumstances, WintersTale. I agree with millenniumman75. If you can deal with this, you can deal with anything!

If the apartment has such serious problems, aren't you thinking about finding somewhere else to live? The landlord is totally out of line in expecting you to live in an apartment in that condition. They probably think they can fob you off because you're a student.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
An update: I met with the guy from the Board Of Health today. He's going to call the supervisor at the realtor's, and straighten this mess out.

One of the landlords of my apartment put in a 'temporary fix' yesterday, and the sink was working fine, until it rained today. Once again, my sink was full of sewage, but less than there was before, and it drained quickly (so it doesn't smell anymore.) I think these people are screwups, but they're screwups who have good intentions. I don't think I should ask to have my lease terminated, because even though they're being insanely slow in fixing this problem, at least they're trying. It's not like it's a landlord who's saying that they're too cheap to fix anything.

I'm pretty sure that by next week, this'll all be straightened out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts