Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
fellow human
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clueless about fishing

So I'm going fishing, but I don't really know how. Does anyone have any pointers? It's lake fishing. I have a rod, a reel and some hooks, and some synthetic powerbait. All I know is how to cast the line, and reel it back in. Does anyone have experience with catch and release? I have no plans on eating them. Any general fishing pointers are welcome. A step by step guide would be great. I looked online, but some places are really in depth, and others assume you already know something about fishing (and I'm completely clueless).

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
If you are using artificial worms, just let it sit on the bottom and kind of twitch it every 20 seconds or so. If you don't get a bite in a couple of minutes, reel it in and cast again. When using a worm, put a small sinker about a 15 inches above your hook.

If you are using top-water bait (lures that float on top and then dive underwater when you reel), reel it a little, then let it sit for a minute, then reel it a little more, let it sit, and keep repeating.

If you are using crank-bait (lures that swim underwater, just reel moderately fast).

If you get a bite, don't jerk it right away. Let the fish nibble on it and start to swim with it, then give it a yank to set the hook in its mouth. If the fish swallows the hook deep in its mouth, you'll probably need to use a pair of pliers to get it out.

What kind of fish are you fishing for?

If you want to fish for catfish, I'd suggest getting some Spam or chicken liver and cut a piece about an inch in diameter. Just put it on a hook, cast your line, and let it sit until you get a bite. Check your line every 10 to 15 minutes or so to make sure your bait hasn't been taken or fallen off.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Do you have water? Beer? Long pole shaped object? Then you should be good.

That wasn't really helpful I know. I don't know anything about fishing either, but I wanted contribute anyway.

·
fellow human
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are using artificial worms, just let it sit on the bottom and kind of twitch it every 20 seconds or so. If you don't get a bite in a couple of minutes, reel it in and cast again. When using a worm, put a small sinker about a 15 inches above your hook.

If you are using top-water bait (lures that float on top and then dive underwater when you reel), reel it a little, then let it sit for a minute, then reel it a little more, let it sit, and keep repeating.

If you are using crank-bait (lures that swim underwater, just reel moderately fast).

If you get a bite, don't jerk it right away. Let the fish nibble on it and start to swim with it, then give it a yank to set the hook in its mouth. If the fish swallows the hook deep in its mouth, you'll probably need to use a pair of pliers to get it out.

What kind of fish are you fishing for?

If you want to fish for catfish, I'd suggest getting some Spam or chicken liver and cut a piece about an inch in diameter. Just put it on a hook, cast your line, and let it sit until you get a bite. Check your line every 10 to 15 minutes or so to make sure your bait hasn't been taken or fallen off.
I think I'm fishing for trout. Is powerbait/synthetic bait no good?

·
fellow human
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have water? Beer? Long pole shaped object? Then you should be good.

That wasn't really helpful I know. I don't know anything about fishing either, but I wanted contribute anyway.
I'm pretty sure I'll have water :D Or do you mean drinking water. And I am a cube (more rigid than a square), so I don't drink beer.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Well there's different things you can do.
1. You can cast, let the line drop for 3 minutes, and then wind up (you may wind up slowly or fastly)

2. You can cast, and wind up immediately (surface fishing).. again you may wind slowly or quickly.

3. You may also wiggle the line whilst reeling in.

4. The important thing is change. Change up your style by combing 1 & 2 in various ways. This increases you chances.

5. You can also vary the weight on the line, and the colour of the bait.

At 18, I know a lot about fishing... but that ain't exactly what an 18 y/o girl would find interesting now is it. >sigh< .. I know to many socially useless facts.

I have been fishing with my parents for 6 years, and have not once ever spotted a girl my age fishing.

·
fellow human
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well there's different things you can do.
1. You can cast, let the line drop for 3 minutes, and then wind up (you may wind up slowly or fastly)

2. You can cast, and wind up immediately (surface fishing).. again you may wind slowly or quickly.

3. You may also wiggle the line whilst reeling in.

4. The important thing is change. Change up your style by combing 1 & 2 in various ways. This increases you chances.

5. You can also vary the weight on the line, and the colour of the bait.

At 18, I know a lot about fishing... but that ain't exactly what an 18 y/o girl would find interesting now is it. >sigh< .. I know to many socially useless facts.

I have been fishing with my parents for 6 years, and have not once ever spotted a girl my age fishing.
Thanks. A specific technique hadn't even occurred to me.. I was just going to throw it, and let it sit. Does type of bait/lure really matter? I plan on using this pink/orange powerbait mush.

·
Banned
577 Posts
Well although i haven't fished in 10+ years i know that in order to catch a fish you kinda gotta think like a fish. If you see a bushy kinda overhang, it's a good idea to cast in that direction, as fish kinda like to hang out and wait in those kind've areas in case a bug falls into the water.

·
Registered
290 Posts
all i can say is that fish always like to bite on the live bait/worms much more than the fake stuff.. umm also you should find ways how to tie proper knots, you can probably find that online. then after you throw it in the water you watch the tip of your rod and once you see it go down a couple of times you should take the rod and pick it up aggressively soo u know the hook gets in their mouth (if you take it out to early you won't get the fish, if you take it out too late you may lose the bait or the fish will swallow it too deep and it's hard to remove the hook). i dunno it's not soo hard, you will learn as you do it... it's sorta hard to explain without being there.

·
fellow human
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well although i haven't fished in 10+ years i know that in order to catch a fish you kinda gotta think like a fish. If you see a bushy kinda overhang, it's a good idea to cast in that direction, as fish kinda like to hang out and wait in those kind've areas in case a bug falls into the water.
That's really funnny, and it sounds like a good idea. I'll be sure to try it.

all i can say is that fish always like to bite on the live bait/worms much more than the fake stuff.. umm also you should find ways how to tie proper knots, you can probably find that online. then after you throw it in the water you watch the tip of your rod and once you see it go down a couple of times you should take the rod and pick it up aggressively soo u know the hook gets in their mouth (if you take it out to early you won't get the fish, if you take it out too late you may lose the bait or the fish will swallow it too deep and it's hard to remove the hook). i dunno it's not soo hard, you will learn as you do it... it's sorta hard to explain without being there.
My dad actually just showed me how to tie a knot. I don't know if it has a name or anything, but it seems to get the job done. He twirled the hook a bunch of times, then put the loose end through this opening at the top.
I get what you are saying about the fish... though it sounds like the fish might get hurt? Do fish bleed? I probably sound like such a wuss. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
That's really funnny, and it sounds like a good idea. I'll be sure to try it.

My dad actually just showed me how to tie a knot. I don't know if it has a name or anything, but it seems to get the job done. He twirled the hook a bunch of times, then put the loose end through this opening at the top.
I get what you are saying about the fish... though it sounds like the fish might get hurt? Do fish bleed? I probably sound like such a wuss. Thanks for the tips.
Yeah the live bait will bleed. But it depends on how you hook it. For example, it is possible to get a hook in your finger and not bleed. It stings like h3ll but it does not bleed. To put live bait, you pass the hook just under the skin, either near the tail, or in the middle of its back.

And as for live bait v.s. artificial. As long as the artificial bait is brightly coloured and shiny, it should do the trick.

·
Registered
290 Posts
hehe yeaa i know which knot you're talking about, that's the only one i know too, i use to always rely on my mom to do all the preparation but i had to learn recently to do it myself.
and yeaa fish do bleed if the hook is in too deep and you have to take it out with pliers. for this reason if the fish swallows too deep you should just cut the line and let it go cause it can survive with the hook in. i would also bring gloves or a cloth soo u can hold on to the fish better (although that's probably not good for the fish).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts