Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my graphic design class, everyone is so close to each other. Everyone talks to everyone else and they're all friends. Accept for me. I'm very quiet and shy. And I don't know how to talk to people. They're all talkative and outgoing. So I'm usually sitting in a corner by myself for two hours while everyone else is talking and having fun. I like graphic design, but I hate that class the most because it's so embarassing. I feel like I'm ruining the group, like everything would be better if I wasn't in the class.

· Registered
17 Posts
I feel ya. I was going through the exact same thing that you just said. I was really shy and too anxious to start the conversation with anyone in my class. It's hard because the class is a relatively small(about 40 people) compared to a big lecture hall. Everyone seems to be forming their own cliques. Often time I felt like an outcast and just want to cry. Overtime, I realized that the more I feel about it, the more it will get worse and nobody even cares about me. So I just try push myself to focus on what I should do and the things that makes me happy. It seems normal now. Btw, I would talk to you if I was in your class. :)

· Registered
6 Posts
Yup. The same thing is happening to me in all of my smaller classes, the worst of which unfortunately happens to be the class most directly related to my major. Everyone is friends with each other and I'm just there like..."Hey, I'm not really as unfriendly as you all assume I am and just want to be friends with you too!.."

Unfortunately, my crippling shyness and general aversion to most people makes it extremely difficult to make friends in my class. Oh well. You have my vote of sympathy.

· LoneWolf
345 Posts
you are me.. in every single class.... :( I'm in my second year..... and just makes you feel that.. university life will be life this...
their happiness, happy talks looks so far that you'd never be able to do so.

but all you wanted to do is just to chat happily with classmates..

· Registered
11 Posts
I feel the same way. I'm in a really small class (12) and most of the other people know each other from previous courses. They're also super smart, which makes me feel below them. For the midterm they had a study session and they didn't even invite me; I just want this semester to be over :(

· SAS Member
4,478 Posts
I had a Physics class like this in high school.In uni,my Hispanic Linguistic class is like this. It's like the smaller the classes get, the more cliquey students become. Just do good in the class so you can get the hell out of there.

· Nowhere Man
831 Posts
In my graphic design class, everyone is so close to each other. Everyone talks to everyone else and they're all friends. Accept for me. I'm very quiet and shy. And I don't know how to talk to people. They're all talkative and outgoing. So I'm usually sitting in a corner by myself for two hours while everyone else is talking and having fun. I like graphic design, but I hate that class the most because it's so embarassing. I feel like I'm ruining the group, like everything would be better if I wasn't in the class.
The same thing happens to me. I just don't fit.
Specially because they party hard. I can not remember any weekend when they don't do soemthing together and i'm just like: "nahh.... i can't go. Have fun guys". I always wonder what they think about me. Guess they don't even talk about me at all.

· Registered
596 Posts
I feel you. I'm taking a Metals and Jewelry making class this semester and there's a total of ten people, including myself, in the class. The majority of the class are all buddy-buddy and text each other all the time. There's only one boy in the class, and he's really quiet, probably a mixture of being shy and being the only dude. I feel like him and I don't fit in with the rest of the class since I almost never speak up and I'm not really friends with anyone in class. I'm friendly and nice of course, but I just don't connect with anyone there. All the girls always joke in class and the professor joins in with them all the time. I always feel so left out when I'm there...

· castor sacs
7,191 Posts
I feel similarly, although for sure I am not the quietest one in my animation class (that title belongs to another girl who never speaks, and when she does, it is in the quietest whisper you will ever here. even her drawings are delicate and small!), as I have blossomed somewhat (ahah) to speak more freely, especially when in my element. It helps that I met one of the guys in that class before we even realized we were in the same class together -- he's a rowdy, loud class clown; therefore he is the connection to everyone. I associate with him, and quickly become accepted by the others.

Nonetheless, I do feel a bit different than everyone else. Besides cracking a few jokes here and there, none of my classmates know me on a personal level. It's because the class is small, we have to present storyboards bi monthly, and the professor constantly calls on people to participate....especially me, for some reason :( ....that I have been superficially accepted. They probably only have a sense of comfort around me because I constantly have to answer questions and present my storyboards -- although, for the latter, I am proud. I have been complimented a lot for my ideas, cinematography, and unique drawing style. In the end, I think my art speaks for me. Luckily, in a class full of animators, we share the same creative bone and an array of personalities. We seem to embrace our idiosyncrasies. Even the titled "quietest girl" in our class is loved by our classmates and the teacher. :p It warms my heart. But enough of that cheese.

I think the best thing to do is speak through your designs. Share some ideas, and see if it starts a conversation with other classmates. In the end, graphic design can be very collaborative. As long as you have a piece of work or a few sketches to put down on the table, you have made your entrance as an artist, which should ideally be sufficient grounds to be accepted, and perhaps even create closer relationships with your classmates.

· ISFJ
1,473 Posts
...everyone is so close to each other. Everyone talks to everyone else and they're all friends. Accept for me. I'm very quiet and shy. And I don't know how to talk to people. They're all talkative and outgoing. So I'm usually sitting in a corner by myself for two hours while everyone else is talking and having fun.
I feel like this almost every day... I'm going through another bought of depression from built up loneliness now... *sigh*

I'm just not made to be social... makes life so much more difficult.

· Registered
199 Posts
I feel the same.. I'm just ruining the mood if I'm there, sometimes I feel like I'm invisible. I can't enjoy college at all.. Everyday I just come to sit around and listening to people talking, laughing while listening to them, studying, even highschool was better.. Maybe I really am invisible.

· Registered
27 Posts
i've been in these situations...but i've learned to cope somewhat. Still, i usually sit alone while everyone is having fun interacting in groups all the time but i try not to think about it or feel bad and focus on the subject or anything ..not my anxiety...and that works ...anxiety actually goes away and sometimes i end up talking to few classmates without any anxiety...just some short conversations...but nonetheless...
Sit alone,but don't be sad about it...people dont wanna come talk to sad looking people when there are cheerful people around..

· Registered
944 Posts
Yep I hear ya. After 3 years wasted in my college and technical classes a severely worsened SAD and no friends I am finally looking into doing something else with my life.

· Registered
25 Posts
I can relate. There are 6 students in my calculus class, myself included, and the other students sit towards one side of the classroom and are always joking around with each other and talking and helping one another. I sit on the other side of the class in the back corner all by myself. No one ever talks to me. I sit right by the door too, and when they enter the classroom they walk right by me, like I'm not even there. It's quite depressing. And embarrassing. I just feel so awkward.

· Still playing.
7,314 Posts
That describes my film classes. Part of the reason why I dropped out (/failed out).

My advice? Focus on the academics. I didn't, and I deeply regret it, because now I'm fairly ****ed academically.

· Wanderer
283 Posts
Yeah I can relate. These guys in my class are all close together and the outgoing
and loud one(also obnoxious and obvious attention seeker) is pretty dumb and lies a lot and yet everyone likes him. So I guess stupid+liar+loud=Master at making friends?

· INFJ Loner
55 Posts
Well, first of all, thank for making this thread/topic since I've enjoyed reading all of the posts here. Glad I'm not the only one in this situation since I don't fit it with majority of my classmates because they don't talk to me or don't care even if I approached them and when they are near towards sometimes they backstab me and say things that are not nice behind me back! I don't know why they do that... I wish their attitude it's not like that! I really can't stand those loud, obnoxious and annoying classmates of mine! I wish I had different classmates or I was in a better school, if only I am smarter to pass the entrance exam of my dream school (since I know the students there are better). So I'm stuck in this stressful college of mine full of people that I don't like... Sad to say, but it's true! My life is so miserable everyday, especially in my college! :[ :|

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.