Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had CBT and when being discharged from the service the letter said my anxiety scores had decreased from indicating severe anxiety to indicating mild anxiety. I think I may be being a bit stupid but I don’t know if I was diagnosed or not? Is that something you’d know about if it happened like a process because I had assessments but they never said anything, we just started treatment. Is there any way to find out? I don’t particularly want to be diagnosed but I want to know if I am or not.. I think I would probably know if I was but I’m really confused because I wasn’t paying much attention at the time. I also feel weird ringing up my GP to ask so I’m wondering if being diagnosed is a process that you would know about because I have no idea basically.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did they mention what kind of anxiety you have in the letter? There are various types of anxiety's (generalized anxiety, PTSD, social anxiety, etc.) This is very important because no two anxiety disorders are the same. Each are very different from the other. (I'm studying to become a therapist :)). I think you would probably know if you were diagnosed as the doctors, or therapists would probably tell you what your condition is (they really should), but as you have already started treatment, it seems that you may have been already diagnosed, especially since they already assessed you as well. It also does not hurt to just ask. It does seem like a confusing situation, since they should have told you, for example "I am diagnosing you with social anxiety," or something.

·
SUS Member
10,650 Posts
That's odd. I've been in therapy for a year and a half, but psychotherapists aren't allowed to diagnose where I am, so I don't have an official diagnosis.

·
SAS Member
8800 blue lick road
42,217 Posts
Yeah it's kind of bizarre but I also live in the UK and had CBT for social phobia and didn't get a diagnoses lol. You don't really need a diagnoses for social anxiety though since it's very obvious if you have it or don't since it's a single symptom disorder. So the question really is whether you have additional problems/disorder(s) as well as SA.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts