Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

I do nothing all day

16K views 42 replies 37 participants last post by  NoEgo 
#1 ·
day after day after day
i don't know what to do :no

#3 ·
does nothing consist of sitting on the computer? I used to do nothing nothing nothing...now I only do nothing most of the time.

I started going for walks outside every day. It really helps! I cannot express to you just how much a simple stupid walk around the park can do.

#5 ·
There are many things you can do:

-watch movies
-go out with friends
-go out with guys
-go out jogging
-go shopping
-read novels
-study (school)
-go to the library
-go to a coffee shop
-cooking
-meditation (this one is good - let me know if you want more advice with this)
-play sports

Pick one or two of those!!

#8 ·
I would prefer to do "nothing" all day long (nothing to me consists of anything that involved being at home and not leaving the house). I try to get outside once a day, even if its just to walk out and check the mail. Since I have kids, I make sure to take them to the park, get some sun (it helps sometimes) and take them swimming, but I make sure I take them swimming a little later in the day so there isnt as many people there; otherwise, i feel overwhelmed.

#10 ·
I do nothing for much of the day and used to feel lazy for it, but now that feeling has largely diminished. I feel that if I don't care about anything, then let me do nothing and see for how long I'm able to do that. I have to go wherever my heart leads. If it doesn't go anywhere, then neither will I. Not sure how wise that is, but if it works, I'll tell you.

#11 ·
yeah sometimes I go a few days without doing nothing. and then when night time sets in I think what a waste of an awesome day that was.
But then like yesterday I went fishing for a few hours. I bumped into the lifeguard on the way back and we chatted for like 20 minutes. When I got home and the night settled in ,I did not have that guilty 'I'm such a loser' feeling at all. Just getting out even if it is just for a walk can clear your thoughts and almost do a reset of your brain.Also if you can get some sun while walking that will boost your mood whether you like it or not :p

Maybe just try and avoid shopping malls and all those super duper happy couples and such ;)

#12 ·
I feel as though I don't do anything. It makes me feel terrible at times, but when an opportunity pops up for me to go out and meet up with people, I would actually rather stay home more than anything. Sometimes I feel terrible because going out feels like a chore. Isn't that just terrible? Some people would love to be in that situation, but I would rather spend my time alone and getting nothing done... which in turn makes me feel bad about myself. It's a vicious cycle. I think I might just be lazy.:sigh

#29 ·
I feel as though I don't do anything. It makes me feel terrible at times, but when an opportunity pops up for me to go out and meet up with people, I would actually rather stay home more than anything. Sometimes I feel terrible because going out feels like a chore. Isn't that just terrible? Some people would love to be in that situation, but I would rather spend my time alone and getting nothing done... which in turn makes me feel bad about myself. It's a vicious cycle. I think I might just be lazy.:sigh
I feel the same way..

#19 ·
I understand, but there are a few things one can do without exposing themselves too much (although of course, one definitely should work on gradually exposing themselves to things that scare them)...

You could always meditate (not only is it something to do, but it actually creates physical changes in the prefrontal cortex area of the brain - it basically weakens the areas involved in sadness, depression, stress, anxiety, and it strengthens the areas involved in decision making, being happier, more optimistic, and less fearful).

Another thing you can do is exercise at home, and gradually work up to taking short jogs outside (you can start out really early or a bit later in the evening when not many people are out and about).

You could also cook and watch movies at home!

#20 ·
Soon, I will be doing something. Without school or a job that makes money you can't really afford much. I think it's why I stay home since I am embarassed that I don't work and secondly I have no money to be able to afford to do things. Thirdly, I have no vehicle or bus nearby so therefore I stay home. I hate it!

#21 ·
Before June I did mostly did nothing for like a year and a half straight. That whole time I only had one or two jobs that lasted two months at the most, wasn't going to college, spent 90% of my time on the internet, hardly hung out with people, the main reason I would leave the apartment was to go to my weekly therapist appointments or to walmart so I would leave the apartment maybe once or twice a week and some weeks not at all. I did basically nothing for a long time and honestly I needed the break from life because of how horrible my mental disorders got and I was taking small steps to overcome my disorders and get back into the stream of things. Now for this summer, half the time I do nothing. Meaning I stay at home going online. The other half the time that I'm doing "something" it's working at my stupid retail job or hanging out with a friend that I see once or twice a week, or going to metal shows a few times a month or less, or going to psychiatrist appointments. I wouldn't be able to handle spending all my time doing "something" because I can't handle doing too many things in life at one time, I'm the kind of person who has to take steps and adjust to things and have a lot of support because I feel overwhelmed by the stream of life.

Like I said I did "nothing" for at least a year and a half, wait actually it's more like three years because ever since I dropped out of college I still spent most of my time online. Well then, three years of mostly nothing. Now my activities have slightly changed due to making it a goal to hold down a job and making it a goal to go outside and experience nature to let myself get close to a new friend even though that was challenging. My advice is to take things in small steps and make short term goals for yourself but make sure you never push yourself to do more than you can handle. And if you still spend some time doing "nothing", that's totally ok because at least for some of the time you'll be doing "something." However, I don't like when people act as if doing "something" makes people worthy, so I'm not trying to say you're bad for not being able to change your current habit. I'm very understanding since I was in the same pattern for three years. Still somewhat am, like I said.

#26 ·
Donothinger

So you're 17. That means you're still in high school right?

That's sometime. All those hours away from home still amounts to something.

Ideas...

Get or download Rosetta Stone software to learn a new language from the comfort of your own home.

Exercise videos on youtube that you can follow in your own home.

You live with your parents or guardian right? They buy food and food stuffs and stock the house.... Allrecipes.com has some great recipes. Great to learn to start cooking.

Start looking into colleges, and what you might want to study.... collegeboard.org

I suggest that you pick a time today and you say... today I am going to take a walk around the block. Then do it again tomorrow. Keep doing it until you feel comfortable taking that walk. Then later on you can extend it. But just knowing you are getting minimal exercise and sun. We can't be couped up inside all day. I was until last week. And I decided to change it.

I signed up for 2 classes. One martial arts and the other painting. I come home sometimes feeling humiliated but I know I am doing something good for myself.

#27 ·
Zangerita's advice about Rosetta Stone and youtube exercise videos is great.If you want to keep busy while at home I'd also recommend:

-Making a list of books you want to read, and get cracking;
-Checking out imdb's top 250 movies and get cracking on that as well:)
-Starting a blog;
-Finding cool recipes on foodnetwork.com or food52.com and trying them out;
-Drawing;
-If you have digital camera,learning it's functions in and out,and snapping pics of everything in your vicinity;
-Playing with make-up/creating new outfits from clothes you've got;
-Playing cool arcade games that make your mind sizzle,e.g.Machinarium,Limbo (these games really feel like an exercise for the brain:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.