Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At work, a coworker did not invite me to her wedding but she invited other coworkers on the job. I did not know she was getting married, someone else told me. The bride to be even asked me if I still talked to another coworker that used to work with us. I told her no but I wondered why she wanted to know. Now I Know she wanted the phone number of the coworker so she could invite her to the wedding. That is why I hate social anxiety. I am excluded from social events, I have trouble meeting people and making friends easily. I am quiet and people find it hard to connect with me because of my social anxiety.

·
Banned
575 Posts
I think it is very unfortunate that most people don't seem to understand social anxiety and then, they treat us as if we were nothing.
I find it bad that they did not invited you because you are quiet because it would be bad if you were disturbing, and I'm pretty sure they must have invited some pretty disturbing people there. :S -- As, Cypher states, if I take it to your example, maybe even if you got invited, you would have not felt at your place with people you wish you were not around, maybe not but I am taking a guess. :)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
you are basically a stranger. why should they invite you? would you invite someone who never talks at all?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you are basically a stranger. why should they invite you? would you invite someone who never talks at all?
I see what you are saying. It is not that I do not talk as much as it is sharing more about myself to others. Outgoing people share more of themselves while quiet people do not reveal as much about themselves. It is hard to reveal things about myself though. Many of the coworkers have husbands, boyfriends, children, siblings and they talk about those things.

·
Song and action man
518 Posts
Well I mean look at it this way, would that be an event you would have wanted to go too? But I know though it can be hurtful to feel excluded.

I mean if it bothers you that much you can always look for another job thought jobs are hard to come by today.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I mean look at it this way, would that be an event you would have wanted to go too? But I know though it can be hurtful to feel excluded.

I mean if it bothers you that much you can always look for another job thought jobs are hard to come by today.
Fortunately the situation is not that bad, not that many people were invited so it does not bother me to the point where I have to look for another job. But it would have been nice to be included and not excluded.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it is very unfortunate that most people don't seem to understand social anxiety and then, they treat us as if we were nothing.
I find it bad that they did not invited you because you are quiet because it would be bad if you were disturbing, and I'm pretty sure they must have invited some pretty disturbing people there. :S -- As, Cypher states, if I take it to your example, maybe even if you got invited, you would have not felt at your place with people you wish you were not around, maybe not but I am taking a guess. :)
You are right, I would have felt out of place or might have avoided the event and stayed home. Either way, I would have been anxious if I went and ashamed of myself if I did not go.

·
Banned
8,934 Posts
Sadly, all relationships have a balance on give and take. We can't expect to develop relationships unless we have something of value to bring bto the relationship. The key is finding the right people with mutually beneficial properties. Someone with a big ego needs a sycophant. Someone who loves to laugh needs a comedian. Someone with a lot of problems needs a kind ear and a shoulder.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Im kinda jealous that you don't get invited. Count it as a blessing. At least you dont have to mix with strangers.

I get invited to everything at work (small work force) and I'm running out of excuses not to go. They invited me to their Iftar night (Muslim thing) today and my excuse was feeble. They accused me of being antisocial...

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im kinda jealous that you don't get invited. Count it as a blessing. At least you dont have to mix with strangers.

I get invited to everything at work (small work force) and I'm running out of excuses not to go. They invited me to their Iftar night (Muslim thing) today and my excuse was feeble. They accused me of being antisocial...
It is not a good thing not to be invited to social events, I feel ignored when others are invited and I am not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts