Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it weird that i have SAD but also have a good bit of friends? A lot of people on this forum say they have no friends due to SAD and feel lonely. Ido have friends and still feel unliked. Does anyone relate? I am very social with my friends but still analyze in my head.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have some friends, I'd say maybe four or five. I'm not miss popularity but I'm thankful for those people that put up with me in real life. I still do feel unliked, like you, and I'm always over-analyzing things. Maybe we just got lucky?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am the same way, but I feel like I can't really talk to my friends. I can't believe how honest and open I am with my therapist, it's still weird for me, even after 7 months...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a small group of friends from work that I talk to sometimes and go to lunch with a lot. We even go camping and hiking together sometimes. Before about 5 years ago I didn't have my own friends, I'd only hang out with my boyfriend/husband at the time and his friends. It's really refreshing to actually have some friends now. My current husband doesnt really have friends, so he hangs out with me and mine.

I've been able to make this turn around because of therapy and CoDA meetings. Working on myself and getting better and more healthy, not that I'm where I want to be yet, but I'm getting much closer than I was 5 years ago.

I don't really have deep friendships, though, where I can call people and talk on the phone all night (I hate telephones) or sit down and have a good discussion. Too scary, I only do that with my husband.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've been able to make this turn around because of therapy and CoDA meetings.
Hmmmmm, Cynthia Blue, I had forgotten that CoDA could be helpful. Thanks for mentioning it!

I want to be friend, not a load.

Star :b

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have some friends too, but I can totaly relate to the analyzing thing. Even when I get together with my friends, I worry about really small things. I sometimes think that if we have a fight, they won't ever want to see me again. Or, I feel like they are only really "putting up" with me or something. It sounds weird, but that's how it feels.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It's not weird to have SA, but still have friends. Back in the initial stages of SA in college, i still had regular contact with alot of the friends that i grew up with.

The problem is after college when i had to move out and across the country, i lost all of those friends because of the distance.

I now have no true "friends" who are willing to do anything with me.
It's not that difficult for me to keep friends once i've made them. It IS difficult getting people to see past my quiet exterior and realize that inside i don't ENJOY being alone, and that i'm dying to have friends to DO things with.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think each person is different, where as I have "Friends" even people I have known for upteen years, I can't really relax with.........They have grown used to me, when I tense up, they think I'm thinking....Or moody.....Hell, there are even days I'm not comfortable going to the store with my mum!

·
The b**** is back
1,121 Posts
I've got friends, I just don't feel worthy of them. I went out on Friday and Saturday night and both nights I came home thinking, "I bet they secretly think I'm a loser".

Gah. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, I know there are people on SAS who are lonely and would love a friend but feeling lonely and isolated in a group of people who accept you is just as bad, because you can't enjoy it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have friends, but none are what you would call well-adjusted. All the ones I'm semi-close to (because I feel I can never be fully comfortable with another) have some sort of mental problem. Birds of a feather.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm a 15 y/o male and i have around 20-30 friends but none of which are girls =/ I guess this is because of my SAD and i am too nervous around girls and just want to end a conversation before i embarress my self.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
kennybenny said:
there are aquaintances, and there are friends

i got tons of aquaintances, but friends? i dont know
i have tons of acquintances, but no friends......im so sad....so sad indeed...but since this is a positive thinking forum.....well lets see......all my acquintances seem to like me as a person so i guess im likable....and im capable of making friends and keeping them... :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can relate, I have friends but sometimes I feel I'm drifting apart from them because of my SA. But other times, I think they understand me and like me better than my family and they're just easy to be around sometimes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have 1 really good friend whom I know since high school and trust, one friend with whom I went to college and another one with whom we work out, about girls, let's see I hang out with one and used to have more firend, unfortunatelly once they saw me depressed they did not want to hang out, still a few friedns I can trust is not so bad and a few acuintances with thom I might go parting... most importantly though is confidence and hope once this is achieved making friebnds is much easier...

G

·
I have SA and i have a lot of friends as well. I always found that weird. I have two best friends that i keep in touch with almost everyday. Its a good thing because I dont know where i would be without them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
pyramidsong said:
I've got friends, I just don't feel worthy of them. I went out on Friday and Saturday night and both nights I came home thinking, "I bet they secretly think I'm a loser".

Gah. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, I know there are people on SAS who are lonely and would love a friend but feeling lonely and isolated in a group of people who accept you is just as bad, because you can't enjoy it.
Wow...I feel the exact same way. I went out tonight & am now going over & over & over the night in my head -- Convincing myself that i'm never going to hear from this small group of "friends" again, because they secretly hate me & think i'm lame. It's such an awful feeling.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts