Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a triumph I had not long ago within about the past two and a half week's or so, There's this guy I know, but not well or anything, that comes up on my apartment complex asking people here if he can borrow money or if they have anything such as videos /dvd's/cd's and such they can loan him, He pretty much only come's around when he want's something, well sometimes even though I know I should force myself to say no to people I end up giving him change or letting him use my phone/computer to look up something or such, However not long ago of all thing's he had been upstairs talking with me for a few minuets, then I step inside for a moment and when I go back out next thing I know my neighbor downstairs is asking me if I will play the role of lookout so to speak in making sure she get's one of her dvd's back.

Turn's out in the moment I was inside he had gone down to their apartment and asked if he could borrow a dvd from her, And she not knowing this person quite as well as I do sort of made some kind of agreement with him that she would loan it to him only if he agrees to bring it back to me/Jason, not to her and her boyfriends apartment, but mine!!! when he finishes using it, This dialog took place without my knowledge until of course she's already asking me if I will be sure she get's her video back, and he come's to me to return it then I take it back to her, At first I said if you want to loan it to him just do it, Then she said to us that she once loaned a video to some guy and never got it back, At that point I simply said I don't want to get involved in this, And it turned out that neither one tried to push the issue any more after that, But for me this is a pretty major accomplishment over anxiety, Because Im one of the people who has a hard time asserting myself.

It usually has to get pretty serious for me to assert myself even that much, But I kept reminding myself that if in a situation like that you give in and allow yourself to be a go between then chances are it seems, that if something go's wrong guess who's left holding the bag,None other than Mr. Middle man of course, I still do wonder if I would have given in had they become more overbearing about it? But I at the same time do consider going just that far as an accomplishment. Situation's like that, having people come to some agreement involving you when you aren't aware and haven't given your consent to be involved is enough to jangle the nerves of some non-anxious people, leave alone someone with SA or SA like symptom's, I still have a very long way to go for sure, But I am going as far as to give myself a congratulation's Jason for that one.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Bravo I'm happy for you Jason. No sense worrying yourself sick over things out of your control. That's great you nipped it in the bud first. 'Like what' You're going to be responsible to get this persons stuff back if he doesn't return it? puh-lees

Sounds like good call & congrats. You might tell them to be cautious lending this guy stuff but I think you were spot on not getting involved. :clap

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank's Alone42long, As for letting her know to be careful yes I think I might do that,obviously though From what she mentioned about not getting one of her dvd's back before with another person, it would seem she should know by now not to lend stuff to those she doesn't know well, I think I will mention to her to be careful about this guy though, To do my neighborly duty so to speak :) . I like your avatar, I have a black cat named Sheeba, In physical appearance her eye's are bigger in proportion to her face than the cat in your avatar for one physical difference,And her face is a bit more angular shaped for another, Her eye color is bright gold with a bit of a greenish tint, Sheeba's a real character of a cat. :) .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts