Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lateralus
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peace out social media.

Some of you may remember I deactivated my facebook account a month ago. I managed to last only a mere week before crawling back. I am DETERMINED not to crawl back.

Both twitter and facebook are counter-productive for me. Seeing all the social things others are up to bothers me and depresses me. Going onto facebook always makes me feel worse.

I barely had any followers on twitter, I was primarily using it to keep quick track of news actually - but it's still social media, so it's gone out of principle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought about doing that :) I'm beginning to relise that Facebook is really bad for me because I will over anaylize other people, including myself. Now just comes the day when I delete it - mainly keeping it around for family members and close friends who live far away.

Sometimes I'd rather talk to them on fb than on the phone (family) lol! I know it sounds terrible, but some of the people in my family are shall we say...unstable :eyes and it makes me anxious to speak to them on the phone.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I deactivated my fb a few yrs ago bc it got too distracting and I haven't gone back since. I'll activate it soon tho bc people always bug me about it and look at me like I'm a freak when I tell them no I don't have a fb

·
Permanently Manned!
2,894 Posts
Good for you, i am very close to deactivating my fb account, i never go on it, and i have no interest in looking at people's lives on it.

·
Lateralus
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My primary reason for deactivating - social networking for a guy with no social life seems rather pointless, no? I specifically told facebook that in my message (they asked for a reason for deactivation). I hope somebody reads that.

In other words, nobody cares about me on there. Going on there only depresses me, as I see all the guys and gals I used to go to high school with - with their social lives and success stories. It's jealously, and it always makes me angry and/or depresses me. I have several bones to pick with most of those people. I do have some few I'd like to keep in contact with, namely extended family...but it ain't worth it. I've vacillated about facebook because I want to keep some distant, pathetic level of connectivity to others. It's grim. But it's not real connectivity, and it ain't really healthy for me considering the mood it often puts me in.

I didn't even use twitter for social networking. I followed a bunch of sports and other news accounts. I seldom tweeted and only had a few family as followers. I deleted it out of principle.

·
Banned
811 Posts
I don't see the purpose of Twitter or Facebook without any real contacts. The main idea behind those websites are to market yourself and communicate with others. Twitter does allow users to follow celebrities and major news organizations for quick updates. Live tweeting major events can boost your followers if your tweets are funny. That's cool, but doesn't change that I'd be depressed as **** without any friends to socialize with.

I hate these devices. I'd love them if I were a social animal that enjoyed communicating with people every day. Social websites are mentally exhausting.

·
Out of here
1,680 Posts
OP, congratulations for your resolution. I refuse to join either of these as I know they will have adverse effects.

·
Madly In Love
313 Posts
personally i find twitter to be a load of bollocks, facebook does what it does a million times better!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts