Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Lookin' for the sky...
251 Posts
I am majoring in Computer science. So count me in. I can help post articles and threads to help out if need be. :)

·
No idea
780 Posts
I played around at Khan-academy's computer science sandbox.:b They use javascript. https://www.khanacademy.org/cs/tutorials/programming-basics

I'm considering going into this topic further, but have heard that javascript isn't the ideal option for noobs... Anybody know a good language to start with?

·
still searching...
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm considering going into this topic further, but have heard that javascript isn't the ideal option for noobs... Anybody know a good language to start with?
I know a great deal of JavaScript. Its a dynamic web-scripting language that is a combination of C, Java and HTML.

Turing :p is the best option for noobs. Java is friendly.

·
No idea
780 Posts
I know a great deal of JavaScript. Its a dynamic web-scripting language that is a combination of C, Java and HTML.

Turing :p is the best option for noobs. Java is friendly.
Thanks for the tip! Turing is open source too, right?:)

·
still searching...
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Development, definitely!
Once you enter your 3rd/4th year of Comp Sci- prepare to spend endless nights pulling your hair from frustration from errors upon your code :p

(from what I heard)

But if you pull it off in the end and your good at it you'll make a triple digit salary after 10-15 years of work in a good company. And if you choose to develop something yourself with the right business skills and succeed you will live the dream :boogie

Thanks for the tip! Turing is open source too, right?:)
Yeah it is open source and great for beginners.

·
Optimism Prime~
7,122 Posts
I played around at Khan-academy's computer science sandbox.:b They use javascript. https://www.khanacademy.org/cs/tutorials/programming-basics

JavaScript isn't a bad option for beginners I would say. It's syntax is very forgiving and you can achieve a lot with relatively little code, which makes it a lot more rewarding to work with for someone relatively new to programming.

For those somewhat experienced, you can be immensely productive in very little time. Here's a script that I wrote in about 30 minutes the other day that adds an Ajax call and animation to a web page.

*don't mind the formatting of my code, it's got messed up when I transferred it on here.

My Script I wrote recently said:
$(function(){

$(".link").click(function(e) {
e.preventDefault();
var pageRequest = $(this).text();
var self = $(this);

/***Queuing the Animation***/
$(this).queue(function(){
$("#main").addClass('fadeout');
$(this).dequeue();
})

.queue(function(){
$("#main").css('opacity', 0);
$(this).dequeue();
})

.queue(function(){
setTimeout(function(){
$("#main").removeClass('fadeout');
}, 1200);
$(this).dequeue();
})

.queue(function(){
jQuery.ajax({
type:'Get',
beforeSend: function(request){request.setRequestHeader("Access-Control-Allow-Origin", '*');},
url: './darthurSite/' + pageRequest + '-component.html',
data: null,
crossdomain: true,
dataType: 'text',
success: function(result){

self.queue(function(){
setTimeout(function(){
$("#main").addClass('fadein');
$("#main").empty();
$("#main").prepend($(result));
}, 1200);
$(this).dequeue();
})

.queue(function(){
setTimeout(function(){
$("#main").css('opacity', "");
$("#main").removeClass('fadein');
}, 2400);
$(this).dequeue();
});

},//end of success function

}); //end of JQuery.Ajax()

$(this).dequeue();
});

return false;
});

});
The downside to JavaScript though is that it's not strictly Object Oriented. And a lot of people are seemingly in love with that paradigm :um It also can be hard to maintain for really large projects without using a framework.

·
Banned
3,217 Posts
haha okay i will join.

i'm majoring in cs too :b

i'm mostly curious about biological data analysis. i wouldn't mind understanding how computers *actually work* in more depth, or understanding the details of a lot of things, but that can wait.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I dropped out of a CS degree last year due to depression.
I posted one of my 3rd year assignments on my website, for anyone who's interested.

I'm currently working on a 2d game, which I intend to release via a bunch of app stores.

·
Villain in glasses
3,511 Posts

I started with python, a good frameworking language, and in my AP CS class I had to learn java. I think javascripts too close to java and c/c++ syntax-wise to be for beginners. Also it's not really useful outside of web design and scripting game engines.

·
Optimism Prime~
7,122 Posts
I started with python, a good frameworking language, and in my AP CS class I had to learn java. I think javascripts too close to java and c/c++ syntax-wise to be for beginners. Also it's not really useful outside of web design and scripting game engines.
All modern languages derive their syntax from C/C++. (Python included)

Although I do agree that JavaScripts usage is limited to web stuff, it is at the same time the only language used in browsers today and therefore it's the most future proof language around at the moment.

I would argue also that the JavaScript language is a lot cleaner and smaller in size than Python, which could be a good thing for beginners.

·
Villain in glasses
3,511 Posts
pshh, what? python is awesome because it's not tedious like C.
Exactly, I can write a java program that took me 2 hours to do (that's how long my homework can be, minimum) in python in max 40 min. Awesome for time constraints, it looks cleaner too, too bad the AP test is for java. The only reason C is still used, is for high preformance in game engines and writing OSs, C is definitely not a beginniners language.

·
Villain in glasses
3,511 Posts
All modern languages derive their syntax from C/C++. (Python included)

Although I do agree that JavaScripts usage is limited to web stuff, it is at the same time the only language used in browsers today and therefore it's the most future proof language around at the moment.

I would argue also that the JavaScript language is a lot cleaner and smaller in size than Python, which could be a good thing for beginners.
No there's asp.net, of course I'm not advocating the use of an outdated microsoft product, javascript is more widely used, but it's syntax is almost the same as java, and by experience I know python's much easier to learn than java (I still have java nightmares).

·
Optimism Prime~
7,122 Posts
pshh, what? python is awesome because it's not tedious like C.
Exactly, I can write a java program that took me 2 hours to do
Gentleman, my point still stands. All modern languages derive their syntax from C/C++. Python is a subset with some additional syntatic sugar. Therefore learning C/C++ at some point (the strictest form) will undoubtly make you a better programmer. I know 5 languages myself (with a 6th on the way), and one of the main reasons behind that is by learning C++ - definitely not for beginners I agree, but you would be foolish to totally dismiss it at some point.

No there's asp.net, of course I'm not advocating the use of an outdated microsoft product, javascript is more widely used, but it's syntax is almost the same as java, and by experience I know python's much easier to learn than java (I still have java nightmares).
On the client side of web programming (In the browser) there is no alternative to JavaScript. ASP.net/PHP/Ruby are all on the Server end.

I agree that learning Python is easier than Java, but I disagree that it is easier than JavaScript. JavaScript does indeed borrows a few keyword names from Java, but the size of the language is still much smaller than both Python & Java with that being said. I also worry about having Python as a first language given that it has so many unique idioms that you don't tend to find anywhere else (magic methods, lambda blocks, explicit defining of self etc.)

·
Villain in glasses
3,511 Posts
We really should start a new thread for this.

I agree that learning Python is easier than Java, but I disagree that it is easier than JavaScript. JavaScript does indeed borrows a few keyword names from Java, but the size of the language is still much smaller than both Python & Java with that being said. I also worry about having Python as a first language given that it has so many unique idioms that you don't tend to find anywhere else (magic methods, lambda blocks, explicit defining of self etc.)
All I said was I think python is easier to learn than javascript, not that it is easier to write in, IDK if it is I don't know much javascript.
Most of those features in python are optional, you don't need to know about lambda functions to use functions. OOP is optional in python, so you don't need to use self, I think that makes it superior to Java and C# in regards to learning it, In Java everything has to be within a class.

I know 5 languages myself (with a 6th on the way), and one of the main reasons behind that is by learning C++ - definitely not for beginners I agree, but you would be foolish to totally dismiss it at some point.
I'm not saying C/C++ is an inferior language, to the contrary it's very powerful, however It's not that useful if your not doing low level tasks, like OS writing, or things that require performance like game engines, It's the granddaddy language and so thus deserves the most credit.

·
No idea
780 Posts
Is it alright for newbies (like me) to join your group, and maybe start a Q&A thread ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts