Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am nearly 20 years old now. Anxiety has inhibited my life long enough. I would like to make it as little as is possible. But I've already done therapy. I KNOW what the damn therapists are going to say. If I went into a therapist for social anxiety, he/she would say, "You need to go socialize." But I have socialized. And I can tell you that is not the answer. You are still anxious and awkward. It doesn't get any better. You would think that socializing would make it better. But it doesn't. You will be anxious, and probably how much you are afraid of it is what sustains it (see my other thread for that). Thus the way to beat it really would be to show yourself that anxiety doesn't have to keep you from being who you are. By acting relaxed and confident no matter how anxious you are. But anyway...I digress.

That is what a psychologist will say to me. And that does not help me.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
You have to find a psychologist who will focus on behavioral therapy not psychoanalysis (waste of time). He should give you assignments that gradually increase in difficulty.

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
You have to find a psychologist who will focus on behavioral therapy not psychoanalysis (waste of time). He should give you assignments that gradually increase in difficulty.
May I ask why you think psychoanalysis is a waste of time? I'm not saying you don't have a valid point (in fact, in some ways I'd agree), but I just want to hear why you think that to be the case.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many professionals even practice psychoanalysis? I have never done that. I've done CBT. It could have been poorly administered CBT. I don't know.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
I'm curious to know if they've tried to treat your OCD? Based on your posts it seems to me that might be more the root of the problem and maybe even the cause of your SA, so to treat the SA without treating the (underlying?) OCD might be pointless. Sort of like when they tried treating my depression with meds, it didn't work, because the reason I'm depressed is because I'm anxious. :?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mean, I've gone to therapists and spoken about my OCD with them. Basically all one can do about OCD is exposure therapy. It works. But honestly whenever I get rid of one obsession (I'm not really actively doing exposure therapy, and I never really have done it with dedication) another one crops up. It's like there is this implacable obsessive energy that will always be there... :-/

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'd suggest reading a self help book and practicing self CBT. My favorite by far is Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy by Dr. David Burns.

Also, learning and understanding psychology and sociology can do wonders for improving your interactions.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
May I ask why you think psychoanalysis is a waste of time? I'm not saying you don't have a valid point (in fact, in some ways I'd agree), but I just want to hear why you think that to be the case.
In high school I was assigned a counselor because of my poor social development. We would talk every week for 2 or 3 years. It didn't help one bit.

After my suicide attempt and total meltdown in college my parents found me another psychologist. He focused on giving me increasingly more anxiety provoking assignments. That worked incredibly well in less than a year.

Why do I have social anxiety? Who knows? Even I don't know for sure. But it doesn't matter what caused my behavior. What matters is correcting the behavior or thought pattern.

Psychoanalysts think that if they can help you discover why you're unhappy or why you're behaving abnormally that it will help you. It won't. People spend years on these couches talking about their childhood hoping to make some breakthrough. But their behavior has probably become a habit and only re-training their mind will help.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
But honestly whenever I get rid of one obsession (I'm not really actively doing exposure therapy, and I never really have done it with dedication) another one crops up. It's like there is this implacable obsessive energy that will always be there... :-/
I've had that experience too. :/ Really it seems only the best that can happen sometimes is hopefully the new obsession won't be as bothersome as the old one, though in the end it's substituting one evil for another.

I hate saying it, but I think being really dedicated to the therapy is probably one of the few things that would work. Though I understand why you haven't been able to be fully dedicated to it, I'm in the same place myself. It takes lots of exhausting effort that not everyone is up to. ;_;

1 - 9 of 9 Posts