Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate working. I hate money. I hate that I have to make phone calls in front of 20 people. I hate not being able to communicate well. I hate being "professional". I hate the uncomfortable clothes and the small talk.

I hate that I tried to tell my "coach" that I can't work in the make shift environment they set up (I can't talk on the phone in front of people!) and that I therefore shouldn't have my performance evaluated based on how I work in that environment (they're remodeling, I should be in a cubicle).... and I looked absolutely ridiculous because the "coach" had nothing new to say - they can't change anything :blah so I was just wasting their time.....:|

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Amen. I hate ALL that too. Alot. Do you work in a call center? I used to and hated it. I hate my current job as well. I always sound retarded on the phone. I just can't communicate well at all.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Oh God I can totally relate. At my first job out of college I sat in a cubicle and could hear everyone's conversations around me....so whenever my own phone would ring I would panic and not answer it so no one would hear my conversation. At the last job I had I ended up having to share an office after having my own for a year....I would put off phone calls until my coworker stepped out. Blegh. I am trying to break myself out of that habit but I don't even like talking on the phone (to strangers) in front of my fiance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh God I can totally relate. At my first job out of college I sat in a cubicle and could hear everyone's conversations around me....so whenever my own phone would ring I would panic and not answer it so no one would hear my conversation. At the last job I had I ended up having to share an office after having my own for a year....I would put off phone calls until my coworker stepped out. Blegh. I am trying to break myself out of that habit but I don't even like talking on the phone (to strangers) in front of my fiance.
I thought I was the only one that did this.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have done that type of work and hated it. Based on experience, I just can't work in a big office around a bunch of extroverts who can't shut up and bore the hell out of me. I want to work but it can only be something that will be a fit for my personality. Anything else, based on a lot of other jobs I quit, won't cut it.
I have never cared about money. I just want to be able to live comfortably. My main thing is to be happy at a job that I look forward to going to everyday.
Yeah, at the last job, I didn't have a cubicle, but everyone else did. When I inquired, they said that there was nothing they could do about it. WTF? There was all kinds of empty space around there. Plus, I was at a small table with people walking behind me, beside me, basically hellacious cramped area. I quit because of that, a harassing supervisor, and a little prick who was always making personal phone calls, and then would be watching me all of the time. One day, he was watching me go through some papers, and I have to admit, I was just screwing around trying to look busy, because I had reached the end of my rope, and didn't care about the job at all. He asked me what I was doing, and I said, "Don't worry about what I'm doing, worry about yourself. You and your personal phone calls". I swear I was going to kick that guys a--, so I had to get out of there, and quit at the end of the day. This was back in November.
I am sick of jobs where I hate getting up in the morning, and going into a place with a bunch of people who can't shut the f up, to be miserable all day.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I would just turn it into something as if you were starring on a television show. You know, how the actors and actresses talk on the phone with nobody on the other end to make it look like they are speaking to people. Just make a performance out of it.

They really aren't critiquing you about it - if they are, they really need to find something else to do with their time. :yes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts