Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering. I can ask questions and answer them in class with pretty much no anxiety. I mean I'm always anxious. I ask this because I'm trying to figure out what is worse for me, GAD or SAD. I definitely have MAJOR social problems, I'm just wondering if they are caused by a more general anxiety or a specific fear of talking to people.

·
Recovering shut-in
164 Posts
I have SAD - When I was in school, I could talk in class very well. I'm a bit of an egghead, and I feel getting involved in the Q&A helped me retain information. Then again, I don't have a fear of talking to people on a broad, impersonal level like that. I can give speeches in front of an audience with no problem, for example.

But put me in a one-on-one conversation and I crumble to bits. :b

·
Registered
137 Posts
Kind of. Not really. If I have to ask the teacher something though I never say it out loud and ask them in private or after class. I just don't feel comfortable with the idea of the entire class knowing whatever it is I wanted to ask.

·
Kasumi Utako
407 Posts
Except for answering questions directly asked to me, no.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I can't raise my hand to ask questions in a big class. But in my majors where there's only a few of us and I know most of my classmates, it's no problem.

·
SAS Member
7,407 Posts
No. It's very scary and nerve-wracking, but I have to do it if it's part of my grade unfortunately. Which usually ends in embarrassment...

·
Banned
3,670 Posts
I've never had problems interacting in school. My problem is with getting close to people, making relationships with them. I'll only keep people up to acquaintances at best. I guess my situation is the opposite of many here. I probably don't have SAD or some other form of it.

However, I can understand the fear and anxiety some will have. For instance, to raise your hand and ask a question to the teacher or professor and usually everyone else in the room will all be looking at you at once. Yeah, I can imagine that will be nerve-wracking to some.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I'm essentially anxious all of the time. But I CAN talk in front of groups of people. One on one is where I have trouble.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I can, albeit not very well. My anxiety kind of starts to kick in, my heart rate increases ten fold and I start sweating and stuttering like nobody else's business; particularly in classes that I have no friends in therefore making me uncomfortable. I also almost never ask for any help during class. If I have something to ask the teacher, I end up doing so in private out of the earshot of everybody else because I always think they'll judge me.

·
(/・・)ノ 
1,840 Posts
It's very difficult. Forcing myself makes my heart race ridiculously fast. I give much sorter answers than most people too, which sometimes leaves them confused by missing information.

So basically no, I can't.

·
Aimless
710 Posts
Yup. Talking class, or really interaction that isn't at all personal doesn't bother me so much. Once it's personal, once I have to be more than just a stranger, that's when I get into trouble.

·
Banned
622 Posts
I can, but I really dont like too. Like when the curriculum designates "class participation" as 10% of the grade, I say to myself, "well, a 90% is still pretty good."

·
Nope, still not!
3,273 Posts
Yeah I just can't hold a conversation.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
See, this is probably where my SA is at its worst. For the most part I will not speak in my seminar classes unless I'm asked a direct question. Also, when I do speak I can feel myself blushing and I feel really breathless and can hardly string a sentence together without pausing for air.

I have my first seminar class of the semester tomorrow and I'm really dreading it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I could talk in class, and absolutely love public speaking. It's the idea that I am in an environment where it is expected for other people to pay attention and respect (this is not synonymous with agree, either) what I have to say.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts