Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my depression is much stronger than my anxiety, and I've left the depression untreated for a long time now. I'm afraid it's actually becoming a part of me, rather than just being a disorder that exists apart from my actual self. for example, I can't be bothered to read about things like politics, economics and history- things I was once really interested in. Is it because of my depression, or am I really just a stupid and lazy person now?

I need help

·
Registered
31 Posts
The depression is definitely not you, and will never be you. Once the depression is under control, you will be more inclined to do the things that once interested you, or find new things that do!
My guess is it is the depression, because of the way you're referring to yourself, and just because you're asking for help! A true 'stupid lazy" person wouldn't be questioning that quality of themselves and instead be content. Don't be too hard on yourself for not being interested in what you used to be, that will only make things worse- Be gentle with yourself!
Are you taking any medication? Or seeing a doctor? Have you tried any alternative medicines? Basically I'm wondering what you're doing to make yourself feel better.
Please don't worry though, the anxiety and depression will never become you, they are still just disorders separate from yourself, you are still you- If that makes sense! :) Good luck!

http://elizabethp-mylife.blogspot.com/

61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The depression is definitely not you, and will never be you. Once the depression is under control, you will be more inclined to do the things that once interested you, or find new things that do!
My guess is it is the depression, because of the way you're referring to yourself, and just because you're asking for help! A true 'stupid lazy" person wouldn't be questioning that quality of themselves and instead be content. Don't be too hard on yourself for not being interested in what you used to be, that will only make things worse- Be gentle with yourself!
Are you taking any medication? Or seeing a doctor? Have you tried any alternative medicines? Basically I'm wondering what you're doing to make yourself feel better.
Please don't worry though, the anxiety and depression will never become you, they are still just disorders separate from yourself, you are still you- If that makes sense! :) Good luck!

http://elizabethp-mylife.blogspot.com/
thank you for your helpful response. I'm not really doing much to help myself right now. my parents just got a divorce and I don't want to stress them out any more. Plus it could be a problem financially to get meds or a counselor. I was hoping it would just go away quickly this time around so I wouldn't have to deal with it. perhaps I'm just making excuses, I don't know.

·
Registered
561 Posts
^^ What Jasmine said. Your depression and anxiety doesn't define you. You're just so used to feeling that way, you don't know how else to feel. You're definitely not a stupid lazy person, losing interest in everything is part of the depression. You're not alone. Even though you might feel like there is no way out and everything is hopeless and pointless it's not true. You really should talk to someone. It helps alot.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Even if you were stupid and lazy, everyone gets like that now and again. Sometimes you need a break, or sometimes you need to focus on other things.

I think that you should at least mention your problem to your parents. Your medication and psyche sessions might be completely covered under your insurance (if you have it). I don't know anything about your parents or how they generally respond to things, but there are probably a number of ways that you could talk about your problems with them without them immediately going into panic mode.

Here is an article that seems to be talking about what you're describing. Seeing depression as a part of your identity...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts