Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m doing something that is both scary and wonderful all at once. For the past several months, I have known someone who I thought was a friend, but it turned out he wasn’t.

For the past week, I’ve been hanging out with different people and have been trying to cut off contact with him. I feel liberated, but at the same time guilty, despite the fact that my actions need no justification. But it is something I see as being necessary, but I still have feelings of guilt for breaking off this friendship no matter how bad it was.

So I’m here now to ask for some support, that’s all. Or maybe some tips from others who have successfully broken off from someone else. Just being able to talk about this helps too.

(kind of a not so great thread for the triumphs forum, but I'm feeling more free to meet new people and to be more social. I also have a greater respect for myself which is something that I really need. So it's not all that bad)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Way to go!!!!

:yay :yay :yay :yay :yay

:boogie :boogie :boogie :boogie :boogie

xoxo
Maggi

·
Registered
430 Posts
That's always tough, but it sounds like you're doing the right thing. I'm going through something similiar with a friend of mine, and even though it was scary at first, I find that it's been a confidence booster of sorts to break off contact with this person. It feels good to take a stand, to basically say there are certain things I don't have to put up with, no matter how lonely I am. Stay strong man.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks guys. Funny thing. Tonight I was eating dinner with some folks, and the topic shifted to this former friend of mine. The people I was eating with were like: "yeah, I don't like that guy because he's really negative and brings everyone down". That makes me more confident in my decision. Things are awkward now, but I think he'll start leaving me alone.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Soma,

Sometimes it's good to have the second opinion. I guess that is one of the finer points of having friends - it makes the SA fog seem clearer :yes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts