Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took my 5 year old today to see a therapist for the first time. shes having some issues in prek communicating to the teacher when she needs something, such as going to the restroom,etc...she refuses to say hello or goodbye and often ignores people that are talking to her. otherwise she talks your head off when you get to know her...shes also got phobias of some cats, alarms, bugs, etc that are keeping her from wanting to go to the park, she covers her ears in parking lots fearing horns will go off....etc. I feel AWFUL. I myself have suffered from social anxiety and phobias for as long as i can remember...apart from being extremely quiet and shy throughout school a big one sticks in my mind from the age 9 til highschool i constantly had a nervous stomach due to a phobia of vomititng in public. i was so anxious about it i wouldnt eat breakfast or lunch at school...only at home....

the conclusion the dr made was that she has some anxiety and phobias which is a combination of things shes learned from seeing my behaviors, etc. and the other is hereditary...i feel like such a failure of a mom i cant even explain. i have tried and tried to be more normal socially and everything but i just cant seem to be!! im reallly considering going on meds (ive vowed not to since my grandma was misdiagnosed and she went into a severe state of depression/vegetable)...i dont know what to do right now. i guess im just venting really. :(

·
:/
957 Posts
Don't blame yourself for her having anxiety because it will only make you feel worse. You sound like a great mom because you noticed what your daughter is going through and took steps to help her. I wish my parents would have known something was wrong and that they would have gotten help for me at a young age. I'm not sure what advice to give to you because I don't have kids. I guess I would just try to reassure her that it's okay to be around other people. Setup play dates for her. Have company over that you are comfortable with to show her that you like to socialize. Maybe if you talk to the teachers at school for them to spend more time with her would help her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.