Rolf Harris playing Stairway to heaven
In your head

And now I know how Joan of Arc felt
Now I know how Joan of Arc felt
But I couldn't understand a bloody French word she spoke

·
Registered
410 Posts
There would be few Smiths songs that aren't about SA :)

I like Ask- a jaunty little tune about shyness.

and then there's The Eels:

·
Recovery/"Over it"
3,391 Posts
No I've never had a job, because I'm too shy

·
Registered
229 Posts
With a very few notable exceptions (see "Ask" as mentioned above), The Smiths could easily be the official band of SA, as far as I'm concerned. Plus their music is beautiful! 1986's "The Queen is Dead" was recently voted the best album of the 1980s, and they remain hugely influential.

Sad lyrics with happy-sounding melodies; perfect music for when you have the sort of melancholia that is more bittersweet than full-on sadness. Some of Van Morrison's stuff is like that too (e.g., "I'm Tired, Joey Boy", "One Irish Rover").

·
Nowhere Man
823 Posts
Now this is my type of thread!

Shoplifters of the world... Unite and take over!

·
Nowhere Man
823 Posts
With a very few notable exceptions (see "Ask" as mentioned above), The Smiths could easily be the official band of SA, as far as I'm concerned...
I have always thought of a tie between The Smiths, Joy Division (just listen to Atmosphere, From Safey to where?, Digital, Dead Souls, 24 Hours, Passover...)
and Nick Drake as the official artists for SAD. Someone mentioned Eels and the song "Things The Grandchildren Should Know" that's not SA related IMO, their song Ordinary Man reflects it a bit more, so does Agoraphobia by Deerhunter.
Anyway, my favorite Smiths song is and always has been "Please Please Please let me get what i want":

How Soon Is Now? is a great song no doubt but i feel like ti has been used too much to keep it's original value. Did i made myself clear? :|

·
"A question of time"
1 Posts
Max 87
I love your list Joy Division pick for SA official band.
How 'bout Depeche Mode circa Black Celebration?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts