Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Invisible Threadkiller
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got home from work yesterday and my computer was frozen on the startup screen. It appears there was a power failure sometime during the day. I rebooted the computer and it still freezes at the initial startup screen. It only will get past the screen if I disconnect my hard drive.

I went out and bought a new hard drive and it booted fine and I installed the OS. I tried hooking up the other hard drive as a slave and it causes the computer to freeze at startup. All my pictures, movies, music, and banking, and CAD designs was on it and only the pictures up until 5/08 were backed up. I was actually in the process of backing up photos the last couple weekends.

I'm just going to die if I cant figure out how to get the data off it. The worst part is finding out that Seagat has a firmware problem that can brick their hard drives. Would have been nice to know before my hard drive was bricked.

·
Just chilling
223 Posts
(this is all assuming you have windows)

Does it freeze up while loading windows?

have you tried loading the computer with 'safe mode'?

and if you have a disk, try using it to 'repair' windows. (though I think you may lose some data doing this, but i'm not entirely sure)

disclaimer: I'm not much of an expert

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You could try accessing the drive by booting into Linux from a Live CD - "Knoppix" got me out of the doodoo when I had problems.

·
Registered
813 Posts
If everything else fails, send the hdd to a data recovery center. It's gonna cost you quite a bit of money though.

·
Invisible Threadkiller
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It freezes while detecting the hard drive. I tried the drive in another computer and it doesnt freeze that computer but the computer wont even detect it.

I think the HD is a brick now but I will let a friend take a look at it and see what they can do.

·
Invisible Threadkiller
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Theres hope for my data. Somone has developed a fix for my hard drive since it happens to be a common problem. I ordered a $3 cable to modify to be able to communicate to the hard drive firmware serially. Once I give it a shot I'll post the outcome.

·
Invisible Threadkiller
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After waiting 10 days for my cable to arrive I finally got my data back last night. I'm so relieved. I copied all the data over to my new drive and installed the new firmware on the bad drive. Hopefully it will be stable now.

It really wasnt that difficult to fix after I got the cable. I just had to send some commands serially to the hard drive through hyperterminal to reset it. The cable just allowed me to use the USB as a COM port. I wa just lucky that I found the directions to do it. There was even a vid on youtube. Here is a link if you want to see what I had to go through to fix it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts