Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am currently going to college in Menomonie WI, which is a medium sized the town in Northern WI. I cannot find a therapist/psychologist who deals with anxiety disorders. Through searching the internet I have only come across therapists in the area that deal with substance problems and family issue. I am not sure what to do, I have been dealing with intense anxiety for the past 3 years, and it is getting old very fast. Using an audio program and other self help things I have managed to alleviate much of the anxiety. However anxiety still looms around daily and the stress it is causing combined with the stress from school work continually pushes my mental limits. This semester just started, but I really do not want to end up like I did by the end of last semester (near suicidal). I lack a driver’s license and a car, so going far is sort of out of the question. I have tried doing CBT by myself once before about a year ago and I had a real hard time sticking with it. I have taken up practicing mindfulness via meditation , while nice I would like to do more. So what should I do? Any suggestions? It took me a few days to get up the courage to make this post….. GAH I hate this

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Hi, I am sorry you are having a hard time have you talked to your regular physician about your problems? That is where I started the doctor gave me medication which helped.

You could also try contacting the local counselor who does family issues. If they can't help you perhaps they can refer you to someone.

Not sure where you go to college but many colleges offer counseling for students.

I am also a big fan of martial arts and yoga.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Not sure where you go to college but many colleges offer counseling for students.

Yes this is true. Take care friend

·
Registered
141 Posts
My college had counseling through the health center. Even if yours doesn't offer that, they might be a good place to check for resources (check with their office or director rather than the individual groups). The health center and also the spiritual life office had a list of resources in the area. They also might be able to help/make suggestions for transportation.

·
electric
6,777 Posts
My college had counseling through the health center. Even if yours doesn't offer that, they might be a good place to check for resources
Exactly what I was going to suggest. You might be paying for pretty good mental health resources in your tuition already.

Besides that, a psychologist might specialize in a particular issue but still be good to talk to about something different, a lot of therapy is fairly universal I just tend imagine. I don't think it's like going to an eye doctor and asking for braces or anything.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
First I'd check your college counselling services, as previously mentioned. Then I'd talk to the therapists in your area, or a doctor. Substance abuse is usually caused by anxiety--perhaps they could help you with anxiety, or refer you to someone they know.

·
Stranger
238 Posts
I would always recommend conquering your fears. If a situation bothers you, stay in the situation until your rational thinking returns. This is how I've bettered myself. (It's a great feeling). This is how I've got over my Anxiety Disorder, which isn't really a disorder that has to affect you forever.

Do not think about things you don't have. Be proactive, and dream a little.

Most people don't understand the serious implications this may cause, and most doctors can't understand this idea. It's really quite terrible, it affects millions of people and yet most do not understand. My doctor pretty much made fun of me. It was really bad.

Negatively approaching a situation never helps, it is a cause that's bound to fail. I also know this. I know many of you will approach this negatively, and you've already failed.

I live with this every day (it was bad at one time). A counselor or therapist can help.

I'm glad you found the courage to post this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was strangely surprised to see that your in the same town as me. Talk about a close fellow member. I'm currently seeing a psychiatrist and a psychiatric counselor at the human resources center, but only because that's what I can afford. Depending on what side of town your on, you could walk to that office. The weather is a bit of a problem right now, being so cold. I really would take advantage of your resources at the college, as I think you will receive better services.

Also, if you really need a ride somewhere, if it's urgent and your in a really tough spot, you can ask me. I know what it's like to be in a bad place with no help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts