Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Meow Meow Meow
141 Posts
Aw, I'd be your friend. :rub

I wish I was social enough to actually have some kind of friend. I kind of miss having friends. Well if they won't come up to you to befriend you, maybe you should try reaching out to some females that you feel you'd click with? Someone has to do it lol.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hey, look on the bright side, I see it as a great thing! I hate having female friends. As far as i'm concerned, women (most of the time) are just *****y, cruel, jealous, horrible, make up & clothing concerned, shopping obsessed people, and who wants that?! I certainly don't.

Guys are much nicer :p You're lucky :)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Dang, women aren't that bad. There are plenty of women out there who aren't obsessed with shopping, drinking, getting laid and gossiping. I swear, I'm one of them, as are plenty of you on the boards, probably. And maintaining friendships with only guys can get awkward, because regardless of what people tell you male/female relationships are rarely purely platonic. Even more so if the girl is attractive.
Most of the friends i've ever had have been male, in fact, in the last few years i've only had one female friend.

Believe me, none of those were romantic in any such way, so it is easy to just be friends with a man. I've never had any problems with male friendships, but I have had lots with women.

Of course, there will always be exceptions, as there are with anything, but they are rare and hard to come by.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
Hey, look on the bright side, I see it as a great thing! I hate having female friends. As far as i'm concerned, women (most of the time) are just *****y, cruel, jealous, horrible, make up & clothing concerned, shopping obsessed people, and who wants that?! I certainly don't.

Guys are much nicer :p You're lucky :)
I agree! They aren't all like that, but a great deal of them are. My best friend is also a guy, and I just feel more comfortable talking to guys. As to the original poster's question, about why girls don't like you, maybe they are jealous? I've had that experience.....when you are attractive, which I can see you are judging by your avatar pic, perhaps some women don't like you because they feel threatened.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Girls can be really evil, Its hard to work them out sometimes!
Every girl friend I have had has stabbed me in the back! I am just bad at judging people sometimes, or I used to latch onto nasty people, I really dont know why!
Im starting to make some new friends, girls believe it or not!
Ive always been closer to guys, usually gay ones though, who can be *****y as well but it was never really aimed at me!

But sometimes girls might see you as a threat, BECAUSE you are comfortable around guys.

But there are lots of nice girls out there! Social networking sites are a godsend!

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
The misogyny expressed by the women in this thread makes me sad. I'm sorry for the people who've had bad experiences, but I don't think all (or most) women should be written off as b****y back-stabbers!

To the OP, snap! Me too! I gravitate towards men and wish I had more female friends. I often get asked (by guys) "Have you got any hot single friends?" and I reply "Yes, plenty. Oh, you meant females? Sorry, not one." *sigh*

I tend to avoid women more than I avoid men, I suppose I'm just more scared of girls than boys.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Uhh Can I PLEASE have your problem lol? I only have friends that are girls and can't seem to talk to guys to save my life! Do you have a sister or only girl in your house? I find it really easy to talk to girls but sometimes they can be judgemental.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can sort of relate, except thesedays I don't attract any sort of friends, period. In the past I always had more guy friends and felt more at ease with them, but when I got together with my now-husband, they mysteriously disappeared..

For me, being friends with girls has always seemed kind of awkward and forced. Of course the ones I had experience with were superficial drama queens. The ones I would be friends with are probably as socially anxious as myself. I also tend to get on fairly well with bisexual girls for some reason, though I'm not quite sure what that has to do with anything.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I relate somewhat. My closest friend is a guy and since I mainly talk (in person) to his friends, who also happen to be guys, that's pretty much all the friend action I get, no girls. I did have a girl friend, a while ago, but we had a big argument and never talked again. I didn't understand that because my guy friend and I have fights, but we always make up or it's like it never even happened. Maybe because I've known him longer or something.
I'd love to have girl friends to hang out with. Go shopping with, maybe trade clothes with, talk about the dreaded 'girl stuff', talk about guys with. Well, I can do that last one already with my guy friend, but I'd sometimes rather just talk to a girl. Somehow, I can never approach a girl and no girls really ever approach me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the exact same problem as you. I'm much more comfortable making making friends with guys than with girls. At a social gathering, I'll mainly gravitate towards males, simply because I feel more accepted by them and less judged. Girls judge on a higher scale. They judge clothes, hair, makeup, attitude, etc etc. So do guys actually but on a completely different scale. Girls are more hateful, jealous and b****y about it all. There are definitely exceptions though, and I wish I befriended those, or do in the future. My closest friend is a guy, and so is my roommate. But deep down, the connection isn't as strong as it could possibly be with a girlfriend. And I always feel as though it's not platonic, and they are only friends with me because they think something more will come of it in the end :( I always have to stick in clues somewhere that I have no desire for it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
All of my friends are girls, I would have no idea what to say to a guy and to be honest I'd feel kind of weird being friends with a guy. Guy friends are a waste of time for me because they are soooo envious, desperately hoping every and any girl will like them, and they end up being a pain.

Some girls are mean and nasty to be sure, but others are not. The stupidist thing is that the nice ones seem to be worried about what the mean ones think? Who gives a crap what some jerk thinks, just ignore the *****y ones! I only care what the nice girls think anyway, I'd totally stick up for them if they told a ***** to shut the f up!

·
Banned
791 Posts
I'm weird. Online, most of the people I talk to are male. Offline the majority of acquaintances and friends I've had have been female. It would be cool to have offline guy friends that were just friends and I wasn't interested in them and they weren't interested in me in a sexual or romantic way. I have no idea how to go about making those kinds of friends though.

·
Registered
290 Posts
i can relate... in the last couple of years i noticed it's much easier for me to make guy friends but since i have a bf and i don't want to be disrespectful to him i have to keep my distance and i guess they're just acquaintances, i don't hang out with guys unless it's for work or school. from what i heard/read most guys cannot be just friends with the girl especially if they're attracted, soo these guys are probably just waiting for their chance to ask you out. the reason i find it easier to get guys as friends cause they usually initiate more, don't judge you as harshly since at least ur talking to them, giving them attention... i think to get girl friends you gotta put yourself out there alot more, more risk for rejection, but try to be more open to other girls, smile, ask questions, maybe get their email, phone if u chat a lot and then finally ask them to hang out... scary... but worth it in the end.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I always get the feeling that these guys are into me and that's the only reason they bother talking to me.
I'll go out on a limb here and say that there is probably a lot of truth in that statement. I'm sure they think of you as a friend, but if they got the chance they would probably love to be with you on a romantic and physical level.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well, could be you are not trying hard to reach them. Or come to think of it this way -- maybe some girls just don't want to befriend you because of that fact also -- they are jealous of you because you tend to have much male companion. They wanted to be in your shoes and because they are just not that lucky enough they just try to stay away from you.

Just to reach for them (female friends) some more. Maybe you are just looking into the right direction.

Or maybe you might try to befriend me. I could be all you may ever need. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
I often get asked (by guys) "Have you got any hot single friends?" and I reply "Yes, plenty. Oh, you meant females? Sorry, not one." *sigh*
That happens to me ALL the time!! Guys for some reason think it's weird that I don't have a big group of girl friends that I can just call up magically on a dime. Sorry, no. It's easy for me to explain, but hard for them to figure out.

I had a core group of friends (3 guys, 3 girls) in high school. ALL OFF THE GIRLS BACKSTABBED ME HARDCORE. :cry So when I came to college I steered clear of them beyond casual hellos. It seems to be mutual, anyway. The girls seem really peeved that I can talk to guy so easily and they can't. There are two kinds of girls who associate mostly with guys: a) those who genuinely get along with and feel more comfortable with them, and b) those girls who just want all of the guys' attention on them. I guess the girl-on-girl hating stems from the second assumption.

So, I've had girl friends but to me it's just not worth seeking out anymore. It seems like every time I "vouch" for a girl and say she's alright, I always find out they were bashing me minutes earlier. I guess the only girls I make an effort for are my guy friends' girlfriends. They come in not liking my presence anyway, so I kind of have to prove them wrong if I want to keep hanging out with their BF (that sounds a little wrong, okay...)

I just trust guys more. And they value my relationship advice a lot differently than their guy buddies. Sometimes in a room full of testosterone it's nice to have one female voice (that isn't biased to have to always defend her sex).

And I mean, I'm just being practical too. I need someone to watch UFC, baseball, and talk cars with me!!! :banana

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the same problem. I'm not that attractive, so I guess I attract male friends with ease because I have a number of "male-dominated" interests, so it's easier for them to talk to me. Most women I've met have come off as rather catty, so I tend to avoid them. Sure, it would be nice to have at least one female friend, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. :eek: I used to have some, but they forgot about me/won't talk to me, for whatever reason.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I need some male friends :(
I find it really hard to talk to males.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts