Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 27 and I've never been in a relationship

How pathetic is that???
I just realized that either I need to push myself out there risk looking desperate and try to get a girlfriend or "continue waiting until the right one comes along" like I've been doing for the past 10 years.

Will I be 30? still single and regret my entire life for being stupid?

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
:hug

There is nothing pathetic about that at all. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Getting yourself out there is a good idea. You won't look desperate. There are plenty of people out there trying to meet others.

Hang in there!! :)

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Yeah I'm gonna be 23 soon so I'm not too far behind you. I don't think the 'waiting game' or 'waiting for the right girl to bump into you' strategy is any good. We need to put ourselves out there, but not in a desperate way.

·
Registered
255 Posts
23 here and in the same situation. In my case its the whole mindset of waiting for something to happen and fear of rejection. We just have to assert ourselves and put ourselves out there. WAY easier said than done, but may very well pay off.

·
Monster
6,552 Posts
I'm 25 and I've never had a girlfriend either.

Are you calling me pathetic?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I was in my first relationship this past summer and I was 23. I was a real mess when we got together but it goes to show that even if I am at my lowest point I still got a girl.

I think with more self-confidence building and whatnot that it will get easier to be in more down the road.

It really does take one event and one girl to open your eyes.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
It's not pathetic. I'm in the same situation, though two years younger. Sometimes it's a little depressing, but oh well. This seems to be a pretty common situation on this forum.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'm 24 and have never had a boyfriend. It's increasingly frustrating - many of my girl friends didn't date a lot in their teens, but now that they've reached 22, 23, 24, they've found someone.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Getting yourself out there is a good idea. You won't look desperate. There are plenty of people out there trying to meet others.
I have been "getting myself out there" for 5 years and I'm still alone. I do have social anxiety, after all.

·
Magnanimous carcinoma
6,888 Posts
Hey, I'm almost 24 and I've never had a boyfriend. There's a lot of people here in similar situations, which probably isn't very comforting, but true nonetheless.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
How pathetic is that???
I just realized that either I need to push myself out there risk looking desperate and try to get a girlfriend or "continue waiting until the right one comes along" like I've been doing for the past 10 years.

Will I be 30? still single and regret my entire life for being stupid?
I'm 30- I've had girlfriends in the past but the older I get the harder it seems to meet anyone. You should try to push yourself now rather than waiting. It only gets harder.

2,348 Posts
I just turned 25 and never had a boyfriend and I doubt highly that will change. Joining OKCupid just furthers my belief that guys are not interested in me.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I have been "getting myself out there" for 5 years and I'm still alone. I do have social anxiety, after all.
Oh, and I dont? :roll

Mr or Miss Right isnt going to find you by knocking on your door. Being around others increases one's chances of meeting people and possibly, someone you can hook up with. I am not trying to give some generic advice. How can you meet anyone if you dont try to intermingle?

And, in today's world,intermingling includes SAS, various other message boards, Match.com etc and such. I can remember back in the dark ages when these avenues werent available. That is part of being out there. You think its hard now: I can remember in my earlier years where there wasnt even the internet and I must be sounding like a dinosaur but I had to deal with things without any kind of support AT ALL.

If I were single, I would definately be trying here at SAS. There are hundreds of people here, most of them younger. Its much harder for dinosaurs :b like me at a site that has such a predominantly younger age group.

Finding someone you click with can be a very hard thing SA or not....SA obviously makes it harder...but not impossible. That is all I am trying to say.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I wasn't really being negative or dismissing what you said, Penny. Sorry if I came off that way. I'm just saying. I'm sure plenty of people here do get out. I probably have more of a social life than some people my age that don't have social anxiety simply because they work so much.

I don't think I'll find anyone here. I don't really care to for the most part. Besides, even if someone was interested in me they may have lost that interest after reading enough of my posts.

I was talking to some girl from OkCupid.com that seems pretty cool. She said she wasn't into making online friends and was looking for people to do things with. She wanted me to call. I said I would but still haven't. I don't think I will. She seems too cool for me.. and then I might have to hang out with her friends and all. I'm not into that stuff.

I think I'll be single for a pretty long time and a lot of other people here will be too. I try to be realistic. It's kind of depressing but in my case I would almost rather have a better living situation before I have a girlfriend. I don't know. I guess that doesn't even matter that much. It's obviously my anxiety and quietness that holds me back with women.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts