Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always think i have cancer. Or some unknown disease that there isn't a cure for.

I'll get a pain in my ELBOW & i'll automatically start telling myself that something's wrong. Last night, I went to go watch the fireworks & the sound of them was so loud, i convinced myself i was having a heart attack & had to leave. It gets really exhausting! Makes me really feel like i am my own worst enemy.
Anyway, anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Work_in_progress,

I have had this at times, but it never really got that bad. It was always the big diseases that I thought I contracted when there was actually no possible way. If I happened to match just one of the many symptoms, BAM, I got the illness.

The heart attack thing is common with panic and anxiety. While it's true it feel bad, it's the body trying to cope with the stress. You're not dying, just under a little too much stress.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i dont worry about the physical problems so much...but rather the mental problems like developing schizophrenia or bipolar or something crazy like that....

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
I actually started a thread about this a couple months ago.

I've been suffering bad from hypchondria for the past 3 months or so. I really don't know what triggered it, but it's really been driving me crazy. Crazy to the point where I despise it much more than my SA and would gladly live with SA for the rest of my life if I could just stop it with the crazy thoughts.

My leg/knee/ankle/who really knows has been sort of achey lately. Of course there are some logical reasons (unless what I'm feeling is just in my head as usual), but my mind wanders to some movie I saw years ago about some girl with a pain in her leg and it turned out to be cancer and she died. So I definitely know what you're feeling.

:hug

·
Registered
314 Posts
In my earlier years I used to worry about stuff like that.

Now that I'm older, I have enough real-life ailments, aches and pains to keep my mind busy for the duration. :lol

·
Registered
270 Posts
I remember this being the first abnornal problem I had. Started happening at the age of 12, and slowly developed into anxiety. I don't have it too much now days... But every once in awhile I get a episode of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have health anxiety also. I go through phases though where sometimes it is much worse than others. I belong to a Health Anxiety message board which I have found to be VERY helpful. I have been this way since my earliest childhood memories and I'm the only one in my family that suffers from it. Go figure.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I am the same way. I used to worry I have scholiosis (the curving of the spine). Now I worry that I have cystic fibrosis. I cough up a lot of mucus (presumably due to sinus stuff and allergies) and have a hard time breathing (according to the doctor, asthma). There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about the possibility of having this terrible disease and dying of a horrible lung infection in my mid-thirties.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I get alot of palpitations and i keep thinking the anxiety has caused me to have a bad heart,heart disease also runs in my family so thats why im probably so paranoid about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have some of this. It's one of those things that often overlaps with SA and anxiety generally, so it's normal from that point of view.

I actually find that not having health insurance helps! :banana Until I get a job, I just can't afford the doctor or insurance. That means there's nothing I can do about it. If I get sick, oh well...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had stuff like this happen every now and then, but it's not a regular thing and it's not a huge problem. Just an annoyance. I'll have some odd ache or pain, think I have cancer or something, the it goes away and I end up laughing at myself. Or, I'll end up looking back and yelling at myself for being so damned stupid and feel embarassed even though no one else actually knew about my paranoia.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts