Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else also dealing with this?

It kind of weaves itself nicely into the vicious circle. My SA keeps me at home... In my room... with the internet.

I remember not too long ago I thought I had skin cancer. I spent weeks researching malignant melanoma and checking myself, same with testicular cancer. It's really horrible when it happens much like the horrible thoughts I feel due to SA it completely occupies my mind and I'm unable to focus on anything else but dying :l The doctor confirmed the little moles I have are completely fine but I still feel sick with worry.

Lately I've been fearing a heart attack. Any slight pain in my chest and I'm straight on the net again... frantically gathering symptoms, statistics, cures etc but the weird thing is when I have one of these episodes I start developing certain symptoms like "little pains in the arm".

When I manage to occupy my mind i.e playing a cool game I feel great. But for some RIDICULOUS reason I think to myself "it must of all been in my head... I don't fail any pain or anything" then I think "pain"... then I magically develop symptoms again and it starts all over.

It's incredibly frustrating I'd just like to be able to relax but there's always something like this on my mind, driving me to the brink of insanity!

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I had it really severe from about your age to my mid-twenties when it decreased somewhat. I found it worse than social anxiety, and I had that severe too!

I found that using CBT-like techniques to suspend judgement and shift the laser beam attentional focus onto consideration of the wider context (which I can describe in more detail if you like) to be very effective, among other things.

A tendency to notice extremely small details is a perceptual difference some of us naturally possess that can predispose to such obsessive checking. Such detailed perception can be very beneficial in some aspects of life, but when associated with anxiety can cause massive distortions and magnification in our evaluation of risk. Another large contribution to such distortions comes from the media, which makes many diseases seem far more likely to occur than they do in reality. General stress levels and lack of distraction and wider perspective due to staying indoors too much were among my major triggers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lately I've been fearing a heart attack. Any slight pain in my chest and I'm straight on the net again... frantically gathering symptoms, statistics, cures etc but the weird thing is when I have one of these episodes I start developing certain symptoms like "little pains in the arm".
You're only 18. I'm not a doctor or anything, but I'm pretty sure it's highly unlikely to have a heart attack at the age of 18. :)

·
Full circle, new highway
365 Posts
You're only 18. I'm not a doctor or anything, but I'm pretty sure it's highly unlikely to have a heart attack at the age of 18. :)
Unless you are 800 pounds or something but you don't look it.

·
immortal in the making
820 Posts
i know the feeling. and it's horrible thinking "argh!! i've got this!!" or "oh no!! i'm probably going to die because of that being linked to that and possibly causing this that and the other!"
but, you can NEVER be too certain exactly what is causing certain things that you are scared of. not without hardcore probing (lol?). it's good to be aware of what your body is doing, and what you can do to help it keep in good condition. but you can only do so much. unless you really are ill and any pain is noticible beyond just "what was that?" it's more than likely nothing you need to worry about. everybody gets pains here there and everywhere. no matter how fit and healthy they are.
at least you know it's hyperchondria (cyberchondria). knowing that is, in its self, the first step to getting over the constant worry.

·
Somewhere but not here.
1,802 Posts
I have the opposite, whatever it is called.
I assume everything is the least problematic thing possible. Like my current leg/hip pain, I've assumed that it was a strain for the last 2 months, that hasn't been able to heal because my job requires that I move it all the time. I should schedule some time off, but getting time off in July with my small amount of seniority is Mission Impossible. Plus I had a week off in late May.
I went to the doctor last month and the x-ray showed nothing, so I'm continuing my assumption.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Christ you're exactly the same as me.

Recently started getting little jumps in my leg muscles which got worse.
Stupidly self diagnosed with the cursed internet and thought i had MSS or ALS (The disease which Stephen hawking has)

But went to get it checked out and they think it is related to my anxiety and/or the fact i have a little known syndrome called benign fasciculation syndrome.

Never fall down the pit of self diagnosis

·
Registered
19 Posts
:roll Ugh, I'm the same way. Right now I'm going though the 'I have a brain tumor or brain cancer' stage. I need to go to the dr for a check up, but you know how that is...:afr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts