Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently learned that hyphochondria is a common thing among people with OCD. I found a site that describes what hypochondria is pretty well:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001236.htm#Symptoms

I'm totally exhausted, and so is everyone around me. Day after day they deal with my physical complaints. This month has been especially bad. It's just been one thing leading to another, so I'm going to just list them vaguely to keep this post from going on forever..

-Had pressure over my bladder, was convinced I had cancer because of my irregular cycle. Had blood tests, pelvic exams, and some unpleasent ultrasounds done.. They found absolutely nothing, except a low thyroid. Got put on synthroid.

- A month later the pressure came back, with pain. I was convinced I had appendicitis, so I went back to the doctor. Found out I had a bladder infection which took two different medications to get rid of.

- Lots of adominal pressure and pain sent me to the ER because I was convinced I either had appendicitis, or some kind of gallbladder problem. After X-rays were done I found out I was extremely..uh..backed up. Doctor gave me something, and after a week or so it got better..

- about a week later I had more pain in my lower abdomen, with severe burning cramps. Went back to ER, had a contrast dye ct scan done, and was told there was nothing wrong. The next day I finally got my ..well, you know.. but it was the worst one of my life. Severe cramping.. heavy flow..

- Cycle over.. but I still have pressure over my bladder, and now I've developed pain in my larynx. It's the same sensation as being "choked up".. you know..the way your throat feels when you're trying not to cry...but it's constant. Over the last day I've been able to keep it down to a minimum with tylenol, and klonopin.

My main fear lately has been getting cancer.. ovarian, uterine, peritoneal.. In the past it's been about heart attacks, aneurisms, brain tumors, mouth tumors.. For a while it was a joke around here.. my sister would say "I've got a headache, it must be cancer".. and for the most part it is kinda funny..but I don't think they understand how serious this is to me. I absolutely believe I have something and am going to die. I keep having symptoms I don't understand.. and I'm constantly checking my symptoms online (bad bad thing to do), or seeking reassurance from friends and family. I'm driving my family nuts, and I actually had a fight with my mom about it this morning..she even told me that my dad told her the other night that it was good to get out and away from me. I told him I didnt blame him for wanting to get away from me, and that I hated myself and the way I am.. I feel like a bad person because of what I put people through.. I just thought that maybe, maybe if someone out there had some of the same fears..the same symptoms... maybe even some seggestions on how to deal with or get over things.. I could get through this and relax a little.. I'm sorry this was so long.. lol..
Thank god I found this on SEARCH. I think I'm just really backed up too. Or else my appendix will burst and I'll DIE. I'm going for a walk to work it out.

·
Not wearing pants
387 Posts
I can't sleep at night until I'm completely physically exhausted (usually around 2 or 3 AM, I'm up at 6) because I'm convinced I'm going to die. I wouldn't really call it hypochondria because it only occurs at night, but I know how terrifying it can be. I'm usually convinced that either my lungs are shutting down, or that I have a blood clot travelling to my brain or lungs, that I have an aneurysm ready to burst once I fall asleep, or that I have cancer and that it just metastisized. It sucks.

A bit off topic, but have any of your doctors mentioned endometriosis with your recent symptoms?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I recently learned that hyphochondria is a common thing among people with OCD. I found a site that describes what hypochondria is pretty well:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001236.htm#Symptoms

I'm totally exhausted, and so is everyone around me. Day after day they deal with my physical complaints. This month has been especially bad. It's just been one thing leading to another, so I'm going to just list them vaguely to keep this post from going on forever..

-Had pressure over my bladder, was convinced I had cancer because of my irregular cycle. Had blood tests, pelvic exams, and some unpleasent ultrasounds done.. They found absolutely nothing, except a low thyroid. Got put on synthroid.

- A month later the pressure came back, with pain. I was convinced I had appendicitis, so I went back to the doctor. Found out I had a bladder infection which took two different medications to get rid of.

- Lots of adominal pressure and pain sent me to the ER because I was convinced I either had appendicitis, or some kind of gallbladder problem. After X-rays were done I found out I was extremely..uh..backed up. Doctor gave me something, and after a week or so it got better..

- about a week later I had more pain in my lower abdomen, with severe burning cramps. Went back to ER, had a contrast dye ct scan done, and was told there was nothing wrong. The next day I finally got my ..well, you know.. but it was the worst one of my life. Severe cramping.. heavy flow..

- Cycle over.. but I still have pressure over my bladder, and now I've developed pain in my larynx. It's the same sensation as being "choked up".. you know..the way your throat feels when you're trying not to cry...but it's constant. Over the last day I've been able to keep it down to a minimum with tylenol, and klonopin.

My main fear lately has been getting cancer.. ovarian, uterine, peritoneal.. In the past it's been about heart attacks, aneurisms, brain tumors, mouth tumors.. For a while it was a joke around here.. my sister would say "I've got a headache, it must be cancer".. and for the most part it is kinda funny..but I don't think they understand how serious this is to me. I absolutely believe I have something and am going to die. I keep having symptoms I don't understand.. and I'm constantly checking my symptoms online (bad bad thing to do), or seeking reassurance from friends and family. I'm driving my family nuts, and I actually had a fight with my mom about it this morning..she even told me that my dad told her the other night that it was good to get out and away from me. I told him I didnt blame him for wanting to get away from me, and that I hated myself and the way I am.. I feel like a bad person because of what I put people through.. I just thought that maybe, maybe if someone out there had some of the same fears..the same symptoms... maybe even some seggestions on how to deal with or get over things.. I could get through this and relax a little.. I'm sorry this was so long.. lol..
This has to be one of the most debilitating anxieties to have. About ten years ago, I woke to go to the bathroom and could hear a rushing sound coming from my head. I was convinced no end I had a brain tumor and it was just a matter of time for my demise. I worked up the courage, with many panic attacks and i told the doc, my thoughts were irrational regarding this, so I went and had tests done and they assured me I didnt have a brain tumor. It turned out a main artery or vein was positioned closer to my eardrum and I could hear the blood pumping, not nice too hear, cause at the time I'm hoping while I'm forced to hear it I hope it keeps going. It was awful.

Luckily I just think now, pain and body aches are just part and parcel of living. My husband having had cancer and survived got me out of my illness phobia, cause my fears were based on feeling a pain and ache, he had no pain and he had cancer, so fear all gone.

I obsessed for months over a heart palipation and now I believe if you aganise over it with anxiety your body will actually have a palipation. I have one now and then, but if I go over it like I used to I would definitely have many more brought on my fear.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have gone through periods where I've had hypochondria as well, and I do link it to my OCD. I've convinced myself I've had HIV, various types of cancer, multiple sclerosis, heart disease - all the big ones. Even now my lungs are always a little congested and in the back of my head I keep telling myself I have lung cancer (not might have - definitely have), ignoring the fact that my allergies are acting up and likely the cause of it. It's tough combined with social anxiety - because on the one hand I have this intense fear of my physically health, and on the other side I have this intense fear of looking crazy at the doctors office. Usually the social anxiety wins out, and I never seek any consultation.

The one thing I did do was get an HIV test, because I did something stupid in my past (even though it was very unlikely I contracted it), and it provided huge relief to get a negative answer (best $50 I ever spent). The rest of them I've gotten better at talking myself out of. I try to realize that things do happen like that, and if it happens to me, that's unfortunate, but I'll handle it. If I did have cancer and I wasted so much time worrying about whether I had it or not, I think my main regret if I were to die would be not having enjoyed what little time I had :)

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Let's try not to resurrect three year old threads. It sets a bad precedent.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I developed hypochondria about a year ago. SA is bad enough, but always believing you're going to die is a nightmare. It's a bit better now, but this used to cause me to have panic attacks daily. My main fear is cancer. I'd rather die of a heart attack because at least that would be quicker. The only thing I can do is try to keep busy and distract myself so that I won't obsess. And I can't watch any medical shows. I worry about my loved ones becoming terminally ill as well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, after a righteous you-know-what I feel better. A couple days ago I ate a tortilla made from sprouted grains/beans/nuts and it really messed me up. Endometriosis? I'm heterogomatic, like totally haha.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Well, after a righteous you-know-what I feel better. A couple days ago I ate a tortilla made from sprouted grains/beans/nuts and it really messed me up. Endometriosis? I'm heterogomatic, like totally haha.
poo? :lol
mmm You look CONSTIPATED! :lol. You need milk of magnesia! :lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts