Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else suffer from these? If you don't know what hypnagogic hallucinations are, it's when you're just drifting off to sleep and you see or hear something like you would in a dream. For me, it is terrifying. It started when I was about 16, and I would see spiderwebs or mist. It was startling at most, and I would spend the next 20 minutes trying to comprehend that it wasn't real.

These days I probably have these 1-2 times a month, but they are so much worse. I see the weirdest sh** and wake up screaming bloody murder because of a glowing blue bug on my ceiling or something. There was another time it was a wooden bug-thing flying into my room. Nothing particularly threatening, but there were a few times I probably woke up my entire apartment building. I spend the next 3 hours shaking and sometimes crying.

If anybody else suffers from this, please share your experience so I know I'm not alone! :|

·
Banned
10,878 Posts
Yep . I've had vivid , frightening .. hypnagogic hallucinations .. since I was 4 .

They'd involve giant , glowing .. cartoon-like .. flesh-eating birds and reptiles .. ... showing up on my window , and flying right into my stomach ... .. which then evolves into a full-blown nightmare .

As I grew older , they became less frequent , but more realistic ... .. such as spiders , and people talking to me (auditory hypnagogia , that's all I pretty much get now) . What's scary , is that the visual hallucinations are indistinguishable from real spiders .

I could even stand up , and walk towards these phantom spiders .. and they'd still be there , 10 seconds after .. before fading away completely .

·
Registered
230 Posts
hello-maybe you drink caffeine? Maybe it's a supplement you're putting into your body that's making them? Maybe you're not getting enough sleep or the opposite: you are not doing enough in the day to tiring your body in the healthy way, i.e. walking 30 minutes which is healthy. I never had such bad ones as you describe but I know many people suffer them, but it's important to say an affirmation before bed, like "It's not real" :)

·
Quack
1,673 Posts
I've only experienced it twice in my life, both times involving spiders. One time the spiders were crawling up my wall and the other time across my bed... it seemed very real, I started beating the crap out of my pillow. I wonder why spiders and other scary **** are a common theme?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hello-maybe you drink caffeine? Maybe it's a supplement you're putting into your body that's making them? Maybe you're not getting enough sleep or the opposite: you are not doing enough in the day to tiring your body in the healthy way, i.e. walking 30 minutes which is healthy. I never had such bad ones as you describe but I know many people suffer them, but it's important to say an affirmation before bed, like "It's not real" :)
I practically live on caffeine. I don't know if that's it, but the one thing these episodes had in common was being overheated and restless beforehand. Also it happens more intensely and frequently in times of high stress. And thinking about it before I go to bed usually guarantees it will happen...haha I can't win :) and of course I know as soon as I wake up it's not real, but I still can't shake that horrible feeling...

·
stay alone
1,571 Posts
i only get sound hallucinations sometimes when in this type of state, never anything visual, but it can still freak me out if it's like an imaginary loud banging noise and i think someone's trying to break into my house or whatever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts