Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sewer Aligator
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may have hypersensitivity. Any kind of eating/chewing noises bother me A LOT. For example, I was taking a test the other day and the guy next to me had a roll of life savers. I didn't care until he put one in his mouth and I could hear it clacking around. Then he crunched it up loudly. I was so relieved when he was done, but then he put another in his mouth. After that, another. Then another. And another. I was going BAT**** in my head. I couldn't concentrate on the test at all. All I could hear were the damn clacking and crunching noises. I felt like I was going to burst into tears out of frustration. One thing that helps relieve the anger is self harm, typically urges to hit my head. In that case, all I did was scratch the back of my neck as hard as I could because it would be weird if I hit myself in the middle of class. When I'm out of the sight of others and noises are bothering me, I do hit my head repeatedly and sometimes legs. Other noises bother me as well, like the sound of the TV when I can still hear it with headphones on and my parents' voices in the morning. The only thing to truly relieve any of the feelings is for the noise to stop, get out of hearing range, or drown out the noises with headphones blasting music. I really need to be able to get a better control over it, or do something to make it less severe. I've gotten head aches and bruises on my legs from hitting myself. I've tried googling for solutions, but everything is inconclusive. Any advice? :l

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
I harm myself too due to pain from sensory onslaught. Inform people close to you while you're not in such a state so they'll know. It'll also explain any displays of pain or anger. The only thing I can do is learn as I go along. For instance, after a test incident such as that I'd know for next time to tell the teacher how distracted I was and either get them to make the guy to stop (it might be against rules anyway) or move me.

Blocking out noise completely can make you more sensitive, so don't always wear ear defenders if you use them. Much of it's beyond your control, but pin down everything that isn't and deal with that - it'll leave more resources for dealing with the rest. In your control are things like your attire (if you've tactile sensitivity). The trouble with noise issues is they always come from others so your strategies must involve communication and negotiation.

·
Sewer Aligator
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've told some of my friends about it, and my parents know about it. One of my friends actually told me that I was probably hypersensitive, so I googled it and it seems that I am. He also said it can sometimes mark the start of a migrane, but I've never had one.

I always want to ask people to stop, but I feel like it would be rude to do so. And people would think that I'm weird. Imagining someone asking me to stop eating when I had a snack in class would probably make me not like that person, especially if I was really hungry and wanted that snack. I guess it would be better to be weird than raging, but I'm still afraid to tell people to stop. It's easier at home because I can just leave the room or go outside. It seems like enduring the noise wouldn't do much besides make me angrier, but I'll try it next time. I'm glad I'm not the only one like this. It makes me feel like I'm a psychopath sometimes. Thank you for the advice :p

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I've gotten head aches and bruises on my legs from hitting myself. I've tried googling for solutions, but everything is inconclusive. Any advice? :l
I know your pain. I've had it my whole life; unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any good treatment. I tried noise-reduction headphones but you can't wear them in class or exams. I wear them at home but they broke. Just make sure you get a quality one and don't use them too often because your system may become even more sensitized. A good site about this problem and research in this area is:

http://www.misophonia-uk.org/

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have this too, but it's only with people chewing and swallowing, or sometimes breathing really loudly. I don't know if it's a hypersensitivity or just like a brain thing..?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't hate styrofoam. It does make a yucky noise when it's being cut though.
Interesting. I thought that it might be related to hypersensitivity. I can't stand the sound touch, or feel of styrofoam but especially the sound as it rubs against another piece of styrofoam. It is worse than when someone scratches a chalkboard to me.

Also if you quote people they know you responded to their comment, just so you know.

·
Coughing Neon
123 Posts
I'm not sure if I have this or not but I remember last week when I was at the library and this old lady was beside me on a computer.

She kept lightly smacking her lips and it drove me so crazy that a left 5 minutes later.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I think I may have hypersensitivity. Any kind of eating/chewing noises bother me A LOT. For example, I was taking a test the other day and the guy next to me had a roll of life savers. I didn't care until he put one in his mouth and I could hear it clacking around. Then he crunched it up loudly. I was so relieved when he was done, but then he put another in his mouth. After that, another. Then another. And another. I was going BAT**** in my head. I couldn't concentrate on the test at all. All I could hear were the damn clacking and crunching noises. I felt like I was going to burst into tears out of frustration. One thing that helps relieve the anger is self harm, typically urges to hit my head. In that case, all I did was scratch the back of my neck as hard as I could because it would be weird if I hit myself in the middle of class. When I'm out of the sight of others and noises are bothering me, I do hit my head repeatedly and sometimes legs. Other noises bother me as well, like the sound of the TV when I can still hear it with headphones on and my parents' voices in the morning. The only thing to truly relieve any of the feelings is for the noise to stop, get out of hearing range, or drown out the noises with headphones blasting music. I really need to be able to get a better control over it, or do something to make it less severe. I've gotten head aches and bruises on my legs from hitting myself. I've tried googling for solutions, but everything is inconclusive. Any advice? :l
It sounds a little like Sensory Processing Disorder, which includes auditory processing disorder. I would put the link here but then I'll get another warning. :) I can send you a link to information about it or you can Google Sensory Processing Disorder and/or Auditory Processing Disorder. If it is SPD, OT and/or listening therapy can help.

I have problems with certain sounds too. One of mine is hearing my dog lick himself. I have to make him stop or leave the room, or I want to crawl out of my skin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts