Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
This is why amphetamines need to be trialed for use in SA.

I wish Dexamyl (or some modern day combo of d-amphetamine and a benzo) were still around - it'd probably extinguish SA completely. It's too bad the government found Dexamyl to be without any legit medical use (read: too effective compared to other drugs on the market) and consequently took it off the market.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
^ You might benefit from taking a GABAergic (pregabalin) and some magnesium, for the muscle spasms. You'd also need to increase acetylcholine (huperzine?) with dopamine that high, or you'll probably encounter confusion and psychosis eventually if doses are high.

·
Banned
497 Posts
I was trying to reach the bottom of this, and apparently we have hyperactive Amygdalae.

According to wikipedia:

I've seen on a different website an fMRI of normal amygdalae compared with the hyperactive amygdalae of a person suffering from SA. So I've been thinking what if we could make our amygdalae calm the **** down?

That's when I found this article:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080722090555.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/images/2005/12/051207180159.jpg

Oxytocin nasal spray, anyone?
this is true but an overactive amygdala is aneffect not the cause

an overactive amygdala does not casue sa but sa causes an overactive amygala

it all comes down to beleifs. sa suferers percieve a social event as threatening cos they filter the event through their beleifs, this then triggers the amygdala

to fix an over active amygdala you must fixyour perception and to fix your perception you must fix your beleifs

·
Banned
31 Posts
I'd love to have someone look at my brain, and tell me exactly what is wrong and how to fix it. It would be facinating too. In the mean time, I'll check out those links... :)

·
Banned
642 Posts
^Good Post

Social anxiety is a pain in the ***. Often it leads to bigger problems like depression or other neurological disorder (failing in your career etcetra ). I actually believe now that stuff like obsessive compulsive disorder are the result of social anxiety. What about physical problems? Often (well me) people sitting for hours at home because they are too afraid to go anywhere.
This results in heart diseases and god knows what more.

Highly dopamine people are often religious (if you are hyper religious you being close to a psychosis). That would explain that those people do not suffer so much from social anxiety. They enjoy life so much that they need a god for an afterlife.

These are my ****ty theories.
And my theory is to locate the mechanism's introverts use and treat those areas. I do believe the things that make an introvert a introvert are a huge contributor to SA. Think about it, introverts get drained around people, they lack the social reward that extroverts get. If we were more driven by reward then punishment, the SA population would (in my opinion) drop by a large number. However that is by far, a politically correct statement. You'd be hard-pressed to find many sites condemning introverted behavior. Personally I believe it should be treated as a disorder, humans were meant to be social for a varieties of reasons.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f03/web1/nkrimgold.html

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
^Good Post

And my theory is to locate the mechanism's introverts use and treat those areas. I do believe the things that make an introvert a introvert are a huge contributor to SA. Think about it, introverts get drained around people, they lack the social reward that extroverts get. If we were more driven by reward then punishment, the SA population would (in my opinion) drop by a large number. However that is by far, a politically correct statement. You'd be hard-pressed to find many sites condemning introverted behavior. Personally I believe it should be treated as a disorder, humans were meant to be social for a varieties of reasons.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f03/web1/nkrimgold.html
Things like that are controversial to say, but very true. A lot of introverts are just in denial, and the fact is that their families are likely to be similarly introverted as them (due to genetics), and perhaps even encourage the un-social behaviour.

·
Banned
642 Posts
Things like that are controversial to say, but very true. A lot of introverts are just in denial, and the fact is that their families are likely to be similarly introverted as them (due to genetics), and perhaps even encourage the un-social behaviour.
It is without question to say that extroverted folks feel more positive emotion. They laugh easier, enthusiastic, and driven by social reward. I'm introverted, I have a sense of humor and can be enthusiastic, so I am not saying introverts don't have those. However, it is MUCH more difficult for me to utilize those areas my brain. I was watching a comedy with a group of my extroverted friends, first off, I didn't even feel like doing it or hanging out. While watching the movie, my friends were literally pissing there pants from laughing so hard. I was like....ugggg hahaha. Just rolling with the flow.

Purhaps 150 years ago this wasn't a necessity and being an introvert wasn't that bad, but you were dead by 40. With people living well into there 90's it is critical from a mental health stand point NOT to be cut short from feeling positive emotions or have a desire to be alone....

Think about how a lack of positive emotions or healthy social support system leads depression and anxiety.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Think about how a lack of positive emotions or healthy social support system leads depression and anxiety.
Yeah, I've isolated myself from the world for a long time, and even if my brain is starting to be "fixed" from these disorders, it's very hard to build up any sort of life again. The easiest way is to take drugs that make you extroverted, but then I guess you're not "fixing" anything and it's more a lifestyle choice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts