Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was working out and hurt my pinky finger while doing so. I was loading weights on the bar and my skin got in between the round hole of the weight and the bar. It turned black right away (like 30 seconds) and swelled up a lot. It's been 5 days now and the wound is still pretty black. So, do I pop the wound to let the blood out or no?

Here are some pics:

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
No. The skin provides a protective covering better than any band-aid. The blood will clot and eventually the skin over the top will peel off on its own.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nice blood blister, everyone is going to advise against popping it because it's bad. But if you are ( most likely you already have) just sterilize a sewing needle over the stove until red hot, then alcohol swab it. Then try and puncture parallel to the skin.
If it's been five days the blood is probably already dried and stained your skin, so you might need to wait until that layer sheds, or you can peel it raw which is not advised.

·
permanently barnacled
4,801 Posts
No. The skin provides a protective covering better than any band-aid. The blood will clot and eventually the skin over the top will peel off on its own.
This^.
blisters (whether filled with a clear viscous material or blood) are one of the easiest infected lesions you can get. Just leave it alone. Even if it is popped in a sterile manner, as soon as it is in contact with the air, your just asking for a serious infection.

·
Seriously , never serious
6,456 Posts
Nice bag of coke in the background of the pic ha ha ha . ( I do know it's not but ha ha ha )

·
Banned
453 Posts
The Gym Gods (most likely Thor) were angered because you mix your creatine instead of snorting it. Snort your creatine next time, and the wound will heal itself.

·
Super Moderator
34,596 Posts
That's one of those that looks a lot worse than it is. I'd probably end up "popping" it but you should probably leave it alone. Unless you're very prone to infections it probably wouldn't hurt anything. I've had many such injuries and never had any issues with them eventually healing.

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
If its been five days I doubt you'll be able to pop it anyway because it will be dried. I get blood blisters fairly often...price you pay for working with your hands every day. I usually lance it with a needle to drain it but I don't tear it open or try to pop it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts