Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
From the sound of your post you will be hunting in a different state than you live in. You will need to get a non-resident hunting license for that state. To get the license they will want proof of a hunter safety course. Some states allow the course to be done online.

The course is just basic gun safety, I did mine over 20 years ago so it probably is different. Most of the course was sitting in a class and the instructor going over a small book for and hour or so. After the class and short test we went to a shooting range and they did a demonstration with a few guns, shooting water jugs. Every question on the test was covered in the class, I was 11 or 12 when I did the test so don't remember any of the questions. But most of it was common sense.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I took my "hunters safety course" along time ago, you just go in for a couple hours over 3 days and they talk about stuff, you take a shooting test, usually 3 shots at skeet with shotgun, or shooting targets with a 22, don't have to hit anything you just demonstrate you can use a gun, I did the shotgun, they dictated the one you took, half took one, half took other, and on the last day you take the test, written multiple choice, they grade it instantly and if you pass you get your card, if for some reason you don't pass they would take you in the back of the room and explain what you got wrong and still give you your card. Then of course after you get your safety couse licence you will need a hunting licence, you have to get it in the state you are hunting, since each state has a hunting licence. You also need to know what you are hunting and how long.

In TN you can get a fishing license, small game and fishing license, big game license which comes with a "tag" for turkey or deer. Find out what kind of licenses you state has and get the one you need. I get mine at wal mart in the sporting goods section, all of them should be able to do it, they are also offered for various days like 3,7, the whole year I think also.

Try to get you dad to buy the license, out of state license is expensive, ex: TN resident for big game is maybe $20-30, out of state resident in TN: about $150, that's for 7 days.

To get the license they will want proof of a hunter safety course. Some states allow the course to be done online.
no they won't, TN doesn't care, but the game warden will if you get stoped, I got stopped once and he wanted to see both.

The safety course is really common sense, you either know it, don't care to know it or it doesn't apply to any situation you will be in, or think its to stupid to know( which sometimes happens). I do think one of the dumbest things they explained was that on a break action gun you should point the gun downward and close by pressing up on the stock, thats just ****ing silly, you just grab the foregrip and lock it shut like everyone else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts