Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mega awesome
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate calling people. I always think I say stupid stuff and embarrass myself. I think people are judging and saying what a weirdo when I get off the phone. Anybody have this? Like you think you embarrass yourself all the time so you never want to call people or answer your phone. Which is problem for me cause I have health problems.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Very much so. I avoid talking on the phone whenever possible, but when I absolutely have to make a call, I'll put it off for days. And then, when I can't wait another day, I'll put it off for hours. Then minutes, while I pace back and forth running through the conversation in my head.

I also write down a voice-mail message ahead of time, just in case they don't answer. Whenever I try to improv those, I make a major fool of myself.

Writing things down and practicing doesn't help my anxiety much, but it does make me more coherent in the middle of a conversation. I suppose that's a good thing.

·
We Found Love
4,685 Posts
Yeah, that is a huge problem for me. I haven't called anyone outside of my family in about 8 years.

·
Registered
193 Posts
In my experience, yes, I used to get so much anxiety whenever I would have to deal with a phone. Leaving voicemails especially! I would often right down what I would have to say, pace around, often practicing/rehearsing so that it felt as natural as possible. I currently work with clients so it has gotten way better through time and practice. I still get anxious, however, I have learned to breathe and not feed any energy into the anxiety. Focusing on the task at hand, and realizing that the person on the other side, whether it be a friend, family member or service/professional, probably can care less about how you sound, if you stutter or if your nervous, as long you are doing your best to be clear with the intention that your are on the phone for. We put to much emphasis on whether someone will judge us or look down upon us that in reality we are simply doing that to ourselves. When I know I will have to leave a voicemail, I accept my anxiety, take a deep breathe and press forward, with an open mind. It was difficult at first, but it can be done. Letting go is key.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
me too. I HATE using the phone! this is one area where my anxiety has not progressed at all--in fact it's probably gotten worse over time. I avoid the phone whenever possible, and get massively anxious if I have to use it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
This is a great video and is the key to overcoming your phobia and SA....

only problem is most people will either
a. not bother watching it
b. watch part of it and lose interest

Everyone want's a quick solution to SA even though there is none. The real way to overcome it is to put in the effort, time, counter neg thoughts, and gradually expose yourself.

There is no magic bullet kids.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have the same thing, and my parents don't understand it at all. The worst to call is someone I don't know. I needed to call around some mechanic shops to get an estimate for my car, and I put it off for weeks until my dad yelled at me and threatened to take my car away if I didn't call. I had to write down a script and all of the phone numbers before I could call. I did just fine and said about the same things every call. It definitely gets easier for me after the first call.

My biggest fear is dialing a wrong number and having a random stranger with a scary voice/accent answering. I won't call friends' home phone numbers because I'm terrified of a family member (parent or sibling) answering instead of my friend too. Thank goodness it's the texting age...

I've realized that most of my anxiety, regardless of the situation, is a sense of dread right before it. When I actually go through with whatever it is, I calm down very quickly.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I can totally relate, i'm fine with anwsering the phone but i hate calling people up out of the blue, I dont know what say in the frist place plus i dont know to keep a conversation going i get stuck for words.

I heard if you really have to call someone up, you should it write down what you want to say before hand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have this too. It's affecting my job search because I can only apply for jobs by e-mail or in person.

I think what triggered this phobia, was when I used to skip school all the time. My school would ring up my house to find out where I was. Eventually, I'd just avoid answering all telephones, in fear of it being someone I didn't wanna speak to. I'm 23 now, so I've had this problem for a while. :(

·
Registered
769 Posts
me too. I HATE using the phone! this is one area where my anxiety has not progressed at all--in fact it's probably gotten worse over time. I avoid the phone whenever possible, and get massively anxious if I have to use it.
This is me too! I hate the phone. I think it's gotten worse. I put off phone calls as long as possible. When I'm forced to use the phone, I either practice what I'm going to say or write down what I'm going to say. And once I'm on the phone, I pace my house as I talk. I can't sit still and I can't have anyone watch me while I talk on the phone. My mom hovers around me when I'm on the phone and it drives me crazy!

And thank goodness for Caller ID! I answer only if it's family or a close friend.

·
Quack
1,673 Posts
I think the day I realized I absolutely HATE calling people/talking on the phone was my first shift as a receptionist. That job didn't last long. But I've always had phone anxiety and it is especially bad when I have to make an inquiry - I fear that the person on the other end won't know what the heck I'm talking about and think I'm stupid.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I hate the phone also, if I have to do it does bother me, but I'm able to do it once I start. The problem is getting the nerve to really call someone and not knowing want to say or how to end it that bothers me .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts