Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since coming to Montreal, QC (Canada) two months ago, my quality of life has gone up tenfold :blank I'm a non-French-speaking 22yo woman from Vancouver, BC, no completed postsecondary education, nothing going on for me.

1. I came alone on an impulsive trip, and knew no one in the city besides my landlord and few potential employers I've spoken to (while still on the coast). I was alone, but that was also a good thing because everyone else back in Vancouver was a reminder of hell.

2. The rental market in Montreal is RIDICULOUS. My monthly rent in my current studio is $750, and that is on the higher end of prices. I have no roommates, it includes furniture, utilities and WiFi/cable included, is in a rental building with a front entrance, and close to public transit and amenities. My landlord leaves me alone most of the time, and is very nice. Do you know what this would cost back in Vancouver? $750 would get you a dank basement with mold on the walls and 10 other health violations and a roommate and a landlady who hounds you about your use of hot water :no I found apartments for as low as $415 here in Montreal that are just as livable as the one I'm currently in (I only chose this one because it rents month-to-month, and I wasn't ready to sign a yearly lease).

3. Being away from my family has done wonders for me mentally. I do laundry every Sunday, buy groceries for myself, clean the apartment as needed (i.e. whenever I expect someone other than me to see it :lol), come and go whenever I want, stay up as late as I want, and sit around in my bra and underwear without being berated for it being "unladylike" :) Freedom!

4. Financial worries: Living alone has a lot of hidden costs, aside from rent, groceries, and toiletries. There's laundry, medical costs (I live in Canada but it's not all-inclusive), monthly transit (or car insurance/gas if you drive), tuition as I may go back to school soon, etc. My Dad is still paying my phone bill as I'm on a family plan, but I'm thinking of breaking the contract so I can get something cheaper locally if I decide to stay long-term in Montreal.

5. It has strengthened my relationships with my older brother and best friend back in Vancouver, and I've met new people at the temp job I got in Montreal that I adore. The job is ending this week which makes me sad, and also raises my stress levels as I'll have to job-hunt again, but it was a wonderful experience! 12-hour shifts into the evening going delirious with my idiot coworkers and sharing coffee and cookies, losing my cellphone and having my coworkers help me try to find it, waiting for the bus with my girlfriend coworker in the warm summer evening on the grass, unblinking eye contact and grins every morning with a cute stranger on the bus, feeling grateful for these moments that I'll remember forever :heart (I'm still an awkward penguin and an outcast mind you, especially as a temp, but personally it's been good for me relatively speaking).

6. I don't know where anything right now is going, but being day-to-day is nice. Life the past two months has been good :) QoL rating= 8/10

tl;dr- If you ever feel suicidal and you're still living at home, try moving out to somewhere you've never been to before, no one knows you, and you know no one. You're forced to communicate, be resourceful, and it forces you out of your shell like nothing else does. It might save you :blank It could also backfire, but going by objective results so far, I'm so much more happier right now :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Since coming to Montreal, QC (Canada) two months ago, my quality of life has gone up tenfold :blank I'm a non-French-speaking 22yo woman from Vancouver, BC, no completed postsecondary education, nothing going on for me.

1. I came alone on an impulsive trip, and knew no one in the city besides my landlord and few potential employers I've spoken to (while still on the coast). I was alone, but that was also a good thing because everyone else back in Vancouver was a reminder of hell.

2. The rental market in Montreal is RIDICULOUS. My monthly rent in my current studio is $750, and that is on the higher end of prices. I have no roommates, it includes furniture, utilities and WiFi/cable included, is in a rental building with a front entrance, and close to public transit and amenities. My landlord leaves me alone most of the time, and is very nice. Do you know what this would cost back in Vancouver? $750 would get you a dank basement with mold on the walls and 10 other health violations and a roommate and a landlady who hounds you about your use of hot water :no I found apartments for as low as $415 here in Montreal that are just as livable as the one I'm currently in (I only chose this one because it rents month-to-month, and I wasn't ready to sign a yearly lease).

3. Being away from my family has done wonders for me mentally. I do laundry every Sunday, buy groceries for myself, clean the apartment as needed (i.e. whenever I expect someone other than me to see it :lol), come and go whenever I want, stay up as late as I want, and sit around in my bra and underwear without being berated for it being "unladylike" :) Freedom!

4. Financial worries: Living alone has a lot of hidden costs, aside from rent, groceries, and toiletries. There's laundry, medical costs (I live in Canada but it's not all-inclusive), monthly transit (or car insurance/gas if you drive), tuition as I may go back to school soon, etc. My Dad is still paying my phone bill as I'm on a family plan, but I'm thinking of breaking the contract so I can get something cheaper locally if I decide to stay long-term in Montreal.

5. It has strengthened my relationships with my older brother and best friend back in Vancouver, and I've met new people at the temp job I got in Montreal that I adore. The job is ending this week which makes me sad, and also raises my stress levels as I'll have to job-hunt again, but it was a wonderful experience! 12-hour shifts into the evening going delirious with my idiot coworkers and sharing coffee and cookies, losing my cellphone and having my coworkers help me try to find it, waiting for the bus with my girlfriend coworker in the warm summer evening on the grass, unblinking eye contact and grins every morning with a cute stranger on the bus, feeling grateful for these moments that I'll remember forever :heart (I'm still an awkward penguin and an outcast mind you, especially as a temp, but personally it's been good for me relatively speaking).

6. I don't know where anything right now is going, but being day-to-day is nice. Life the past two months has been good :) QoL rating= 8/10

tl;dr- If you ever feel suicidal and you're still living at home, try moving out to somewhere you've never been to before, no one knows you, and you know no one. You're forced to communicate, be resourceful, and it forces you out of your shell like nothing else does. It might save you :blank It could also backfire, but going by objective results so far, I'm so much more happier right now :)
Wow!! Good for you my dear;)

·
FashioNigsta
3,256 Posts
Interesting. I really want to move to Costa Rica (maybe thailand for a while) and really live there while I work. Is kinda interesting how you say your relationship with your family has become stronger now that you are away :haha I completely understand it.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. I really want to move to Costa Rica (maybe thailand for a while) and really live there while I work. Is kinda interesting how you say your relationship with your family has become stronger now that you are away :haha I completely understand it.
Just my brother, and he's been supportive of me since the beginning. I'm partly estranged from my parents now :| I stopped picking up calls from my mother because she would cry every time saying she misses me and wants me back "home"... Emotionally tedious and not what I need.

·
FashioNigsta
3,256 Posts
Just my brother, and he's been supportive of me since the beginning. I'm partly estranged from my parents now :| I stopped picking up calls from my mother because she would cry every time saying she misses me and wants me back "home"... Emotionally tedious and not what I need.
You are so much on the right with this my friend. From someone seeing this first hand I can assure you this is some serious parental emotional pulling. Don't buy into it and cut all ties that you can.

From someone that has done his research (since I might just decide to leave any day now lol) I recommend you get Voip, or get yourself a nice android smartphone and hook it up the sim card with something like pure talk. It can even work with iphones. Not sure if they will work where you live (i'm sure Voip does, not so sure about puretalk) but there are cheap and incredibly reliable services. Not sure if it will work where you live but at least you pay once and you stop relying on your parents. Do they pay anything else?

·
Power Trip
1,016 Posts
The place where I live is nice - both the house I live in with my parents, and the local area but I'm really starting to feel constrained being here all the time since my job, family and the small amount of friends I have are all here. Like, I don't even really go to the city anymore (I live in smaller satellite town-city about 45 minutes from the actual city) because if I did I'd probably be alone, or with my parents in doing so. I'm going on a trip to the US later this year and I'm actually looking forward to the culture shock and population difference. Staying in the same place breeds close-minded, unfulfilled, conforming people and that's not who I am or who I'm meant to be.

I want to quit my job, go back to uni, and move to a flat in the city but a lack of social life/circle is the only thing stopping me.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are so much on the right with this my friend. From someone seeing this first hand I can assure you this is some serious parental emotional pulling. Don't buy into it and cut all ties that you can.

From someone that has done his research (since I might just decide to leave any day now lol) I recommend you get Voip, or get yourself a nice android smartphone and hook it up the sim card with something like pure talk. It can even work with iphones. Not sure if they will work where you live (i'm sure Voip does, not so sure about puretalk) but there are cheap and incredibly reliable services. Not sure if it will work where you live but at least you pay once and you stop relying on your parents. Do they pay anything else?
It's difficult... Guilt trips everywhere. My Dad said in a phone call last night he wants to move to my current city to live with me, and expects that I will be his caretaker in old age.

At the moment, it's just the phone... And I will be negotiating a break from the contract once I figure out which city I'll be staying in long-term. If I'm back in City A, they house me and have substantially more influence over me and my life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts