Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering because tonight I was out in a restaurant and despite how much I feel/hope I've improved over the last few months/years, I got somewhat shut down because it was oppressively hot for my liking.

This has always been a problem with me. In school I was usually too hot IIRC and often in college I'd feel rather hot even when people around me would seem to be wearing similar or more clothes and surely not everyone felt the way I did or they'd seem more agitated and/or it wouldn't happen in the first place.

I suppose I do prefer the cold to the heat, in the sense of I'd rather be too cold than too hot. The reason for that though is that I just feel incapable of thinking straight or relaxing when I'm overheating, which seems to happen more often to me than most people or at least it affects me more.

It's not like a lot of other things where you can sometimes think your way through it on a good day... it just shuts me right down. I become somewhat stiff and "trapped". I just can't move naturally or feel calm at all and my self-consciousness and anxiety rises quite considerably. My face just feels like it's flushing with a burning sensation and I can't ignore that feeling on my skin.

I dunno, maybe I'm rare enough, I have no idea. Do you people have that kind of problem much? Any of you have no problem with heat or see no correlation between heat and anxiety?
I never get this feeling from being out in sunshine on a hot day really either IIRC, it's more a feeling that comes from stuffy indoor places OR (to give a current example, as in right now this second) from using my computer in a rather small room where the heat is easily trapped.

I've always felt this really and I think it's made a massive difference with my anxiety in school etc. and one of the worst parts is that there's not much you can do about it.

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
I prefer hot over cold. You can just open the window and turn on a fan. And at night sleep with the air conditioning on.

I've been feeling really miserable the last few weeks since I moved into this house. It's much colder than the previous apartment. I feel like I can't get out of bed almost. Like I'm stuck. And I have to wear all these layers.

I feel much freer walking around in shorts and a tank top.

Japan has pretty crappy weather and you have 2 choices: live in the north where it snows a whole bunch (-10C at night) but has pleasant summers or live in the rest of Japan (osaka, tokyo) where it's cold but doesn't snow (2 or 3C at night) in the winter but the summers are like a sauna. I tried Sapporo for a while but just couldn't take it anymore and moved to Osaka. It was much better there.

The heat is not what bothered me so much. More it was the constant sweating that kind of grossed me out. Some parts don't dry very well. The under part of the bra and the waist band of my shorts were always damp. Feels yucky. I would walk from my air conditioned apartment to the subway. 4 minute walk. By the time I got there I was soaked in sweat, even though I dressed for the heat (shorts and sleeveless shirts).

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
I'm similar, except the opposite...cold just sucks the life out of me. I literally want to cry getting out of bed in the morning to face the cold, and much of the time just want to curl wrapped up in blankets and not move for ages. Even if I have to pee. ;_; And yes, I loathe how bulky cold-weather clothing is! It's hard enough to move around as it is!

Granted...I have hypothyroidism, which can make one less tolerant of cold...I've always hated the cold, but now it's ten times worse, just horrible. (It also makes me perpetually exhausted, so that's another reason I want to cry when I get out of bed in the morning!) I don't handle heat so well in that I sweat easily and sometimes would rather not move around much, but the cold is so much worse for me.

Sorry that I can't offer any sort of solution for your issue. :( Have you ever had any sort of tests done? To rule out any physiological causes of this intolerance? You mention problems with small stuffy places...are you claustrophobic in any way?

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I prefer hot over cold. You can just open the window and turn on a fan. And at night sleep with the air conditioning on.
I would've thought: err on the side of cold because you can always wear more clothes but it's harder to cool yourself down :b

The heat is not what bothered me so much. More it was the constant sweating that kind of grossed me out. Some parts don't dry very well.
I have a strange thing with sweating too...

Caffeine seems to make me sweat under my arms quite profusely almost all the time.
HOWEVER... I've noticed that it seems to me... I actually often sweat when it's COLD. Maybe it's something about temperature differences in different parts of my body (I think I Googled this and someone talked about sweating and cold feet...) or something but I swear I seem to sweat more when it's kind of cold in my room than when it's comfortably warm.

I literally want to cry getting out of bed in the morning to face the cold!
Yeah... I do get that too.

I bet I've lost many many hours since the autumn/winter came in due to not feeling up to getting out of bed in the morning until I've wasted an hour or more... ugh. It's just that few seconds where it's like jumping into an ice cold swimming pool... and then you're fine.

Sorry that I can't offer any sort of solution for your issue. :( Have you ever had any sort of tests done? To rule out any physiological causes of this intolerance? You mention problems with small stuffy places...are you claustrophobic in any way?
Not really, it's just the sort of... stuffy "artificial" heat gets to me.

Like, I think when there are radiators on, it's much worse than if it's a warm summer's day. Even a very warm summer's day. Something to do with the distribution of heat maybe. My face seems quite sensitive to heat specifically.

As far as I know, my dad used to complain about sweating a lot too. I guess it must be genetic at least somewhat, though sometimes I think perhaps anxiety/stress has a role too... maybe keeping me tense and warming me up, then perhaps the heat makes me more tense and causes a cycle, I dunno.

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
I would've thought: err on the side of cold because you can always wear more clothes but it's harder to cool yourself down :b
Once it gets below 10 C outside I can't stay warm in the house. I wear pajamas and a light jacket but I refuse to wear my outside coats. It's too much. Who the hell wears a parka inside?

Outside it is not so bad if you are walking but the moment you stay in one place you start to freeze your *** off.

·
Nope, still not!
3,273 Posts
I prefer the colder seasons but I'm learning to tolerate the heat better. I just keep telling myself to suck it up and that seems to work xD

·
28,958 Posts
Not really, it's just the sort of... stuffy "artificial" heat gets to me.

Like, I think when there are radiators on, it's much worse than if it's a warm summer's day. Even a very warm summer's day. Something to do with the distribution of heat maybe. My face seems quite sensitive to heat specifically.
Hm, interesting. I'm similar with air conditioners. I can tolerate an electric fan, but something about air conditioning grates on me...they use it a lot down south, and at times I felt almost ill because of it, I believe. Perhaps we're more sensitive to "artificial" forms of heating/cooling in some way...?

(ETA, though for whatever reason I have no problem with the heating vents for our furnace!)

·
Banned
3,670 Posts
I prefer cold over heat. Mainly because heat is far more prevalent in my city than cold weather, and the humidity makes it even more miserable. I relish the cold whenever I can. Also because I am mainly on my computer, which emits a lot of heat in my room and I'd prefer a colder room so it can also double as a space heater, rather than in hot weather where I need to use an AC or a fan to keep it tolerable.

Also, my current job has had me spend a lot of time in a cold room environment, where the temperature is always kept at 60F constantly. So I guess I have been spoiled by that when coming home.

Its easier to keep myself warm in cold weather than cold in hot weather. I can just bundle myself up and use my space heater computer, I don't have to turn on the heat. But in hot weather, I require the A/C which isn't exactly cheap.

·
electric
6,777 Posts
The cold feels kind of hostile and makes me want to confine myself and not do anything, but the upshot is I can sleep well at night. Too much heat and crankiness are practically the same thing for me. I just stop working. Nothing is right, and everything must be destroyed. It takes quite a bit of cold to be worse than that.

·
♛♚♝♞♟♜♚&
6,528 Posts
I just hate artificial temperature - like you said I hate turning on the radiator, or worse the air conditioning. I prefer leaving the window open all day and putting on a jumper. I can't stand blaring heat & no wind - you just have to sit there and sweat - I hate that, I'll sit in a bathtub all day if I have to and be Mr. Grumpy :(

·
SAS Member
2,118 Posts
I love the heat - it puts me in a better mood. Cold days just depress me.

My cold tolerance appears to be lower than most other peoples'. The office I work in gets so cold I'm often sitting there at my desk wrapped up in multiple layers freezing away while everyone else is getting around in just their shirts.

·
28,958 Posts
A weird thing is that even with my awful cold intolerance, I tend to overheat easily. I'm always having to take off my jacket or coat while walking around in Wal-Mart, even in winter, and I've been known to pass out before from overheating...unfortunately. :roll

·
Desu!~
5,166 Posts
I think I have a rather high tolerance for heat. I just love humid, hot kind of weather. My tolerance to the cold is quite poor though, end up shivering too much and... it's rather pain staking ><

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Once it gets below 10 C outside I can't stay warm in the house. I wear pajamas and a light jacket but I refuse to wear my outside coats. It's too much. Who the hell wears a parka inside?
Meh, it's strange, but a few months ago when it was warmer outside I'd feel cold in if it was 17 or so.

Now it can be 15 or even less and sometimes I feel fine despite just wearing a t-shirt.

I really seem to adapt to the heat with the seasons by the looks of things. Strange.

I think I must be more built for the cold than most people or something ;). That or my face is prone to sweating because I often feel too warm in the face and too cold in the hands/feet.

Perhaps we're more sensitive to "artificial" forms of heating/cooling in some way...?
Yeah, I've been thinking that maybe it's something about sudden bursts of temperature change? Like air pockets/regions that are quite hot/cold but the room as a whole might not be very hot/cold so that's why I might feel awfully uncomfortable when it's 18 one time and not another.

Also humidity is a factor I guess...

I suppose one more thing to mention... I love air conditioning in cars (again, I prefer it cooler than other people in the car, even quite cool on rather cold days once I've warmed up a bit) but after a reasonably long time I do find the cold air to make me feel a bit uncomfortable. Headachey even at times. Sorta stiff and weird in the head. Then I find it hard to find a balance between cool enough and not getting that feeling.
Mostly a long journey thing, especially on a hot day with cold air blowing at my face for a long time.

I like it about 25 C (77 F). And for sleeping I like it at 17 C (63 F).
Christ :um.

25 is like a complete sauna for me.

I guess it depends on what climate you're used to, though.

·
Patron St. of Mediocrity
3,188 Posts
I hate the heat. It makes my roceaca act up really bad. Also, really humid weather causes me to have nose bleeds.

I like it really cold. In fact, I rarely turn the heat on in my house.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts