Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Ulysses by James Joyce

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Votes: 18 28.1%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Banned
3,608 Posts
Of the above books The Stranger is my favorite. The protagonist was pretty fascinating to me.

Aside from The Stranger, I've read To Kill a Mockingbird, Harry Potter series, East of Eden and 1984.
Haven't read all of Shakespeare's works, I've read Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, Macbeth, Much Ado About Nothing and Twelfth Night.

Much Ado About Nothing and Twelfth Night would be my favorite works by Shakespeare.

· Spread Your Wings
1,512 Posts
Clockwork Orange?? Catcher in the rye??? Lolita??? No these?

I only read the first three Harry Potter books. (The fourth one onwards blows)

-To kill a mockingbird (embarrassingly, I had the chance to read this, but forgo it for catcher in the rye)
-Catch 22
-The Count of Monte Cristo by A. Dumas

Three amazing books that I want to read sometime.

· unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've read 4.

Does reading one Harry Potter book count as reading the series?
Um, I'm gonna go with no, it doesn't.

I can't believe somebody read Ulysses! I thought nobody had ever managed to plough through that book - I tried twice and gave up.

· resident classicist
4,415 Posts
I've read nine.

I haven't read the complete works of Shakespeare but that's my summer goal, so far I've read - Hamlet, Romeo & Juliet, Titus Andronicus, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Macbeth, The Tempest, and Julius Caesar.

Oh, and the ones I've read are: To Kill A Mockingbird, The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Midnight's Children, East of Eden, 1984, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Stranger and Catch-22.

My favorite was either The Stranger or Monte Cristo, although I really liked them all.

· gone
5,223 Posts
I've read six of those. I didn't include complete works of Shakespeare because I haven't read everything there...although I recently got a Pelican edition of Shakespeare's complete works for only $2 at a used book sale recently!

Hey, is On Beauty good? From Zadie Smith I've read White Teeth, which I enjoyed lots, and The Autograph Man, which I remember not liking much at all.

· unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I absolutely love On Beauty, I've read it four or five times and I think it's her best :)

Oh, and Hot Chocolate, Clockwork Orange and Catcher aren't there cos I didn't like them all that much, and Lolita's not ther cos I haven't read it and don't know much about it. I'll put it on my "to read" list. I'm regretting calling this "how well-read are you?" Because I think it's possible to be very well read without reading many of the books on the list!

I thought more people would have read Harry Potter. I thought everyone ahd read Harry Potter :)

· Memorial Profile
38,514 Posts
I read only one, sort of at least. I'm sure I read some pages of it, as few as possible. English was always my least favorite class back in HS. To Kill A Mocking Bird -- as required back in high school. Wasn't it about a black man unjustly accused a raping a white woman in the deep south of the 1930s era or about that time period? I definitely know the murder of birds was not the main plot. I'm hoping I got that right otherwise I'm really looking like an idiot here. Most of the books on that list I can't even ID. About 8 of them I've actually heard of -- never read, but heard of. The rest I didn't even know they existed at all.

Ironic how I, one of the least read guys here, inspired a poll on books, isn't it?

Now off to Amazon to check if I got the basic plot of Mockingbird right. Keep in mind I'm old, so reading this junk in HS was 20 years ago.

· Memorial Profile
38,514 Posts
From Amazon:

Set in the small Southern town of Maycomb, Alabama, during the Depression, To Kill a Mockingbird follows three years in the life of 8-year-old Scout Finch, her brother, Jem, and their father, Atticus--three years punctuated by the arrest and eventual trial of a young black man accused of raping a white woman.
At least I got the basic plot right even after 20 years of just barely reading it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.