Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went to a group meeting and encountered other SAers for the first time in real life and I am amazed at how well they can articulate themselves. If I didn't know they had SA, I would never have guessed. I guess I've been living in a bubble too long because I thought others woul be like me and have trouble speaking.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Not well at all. I have a speech impediment.

Whenever I meet a person who is really articulate, especially when they're cool and I think I might want to be friends with them, it only makes me feel intimidated because I become preoccupied with trying to figure out a way to get this person to like me, and I feel afraid they'll judge me because I cannot articulate my thoughts as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a stammer so when I finally think of something to say I usually can't get it all out before others decide to start talking about something else. = / That plus I censor pretty much everything I say and psyche myself out of speaking at all...

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Depends in which language. English is my second language but my most used and familiar one. I can articulate well in English writing, but my speech is just not heard because of my voice being too quiet or me mumbling.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a stammer so when I finally think of something to say I usually can't get it all out before others decide to start talking about something else. = / That plus I censor pretty much everything I say and psyche myself out of speaking at all...
I used to stammer for 4 years of my life, so I know what it feels like. How I overcame it was, ironically, not to think about it. The less I thought about my stammer, the less I stammered. Also, tell yourself it's okay to stammer and make mistakes. Hope you can get over this.

Other than that I have a hard time verbalizing what I think. I can think about topics in-depth, but when I repeat to people it comes out all wrong.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I can organize my thoughts into words fairly decently, the problem is my speech. I stumble over my words a lot, it's like I learned to speak last year. When I was younger I didn't have this problem, I don't know what happened. Maybe it's one of the consequences of spending years without much interaction with other people. I tend to say what I want to say as fast as possible too, so that I don't have to be talking. So maybe that doesn't help either.

·
Commissioner of Kawaii
68 Posts
It all depends really. On the internet I am extremely articulate and I sound so much smarter than I feel like I am. In real life it all depends - when I'm around people I'm comfortable with it's no big deal. If I'm nervous it's hard to get a sentence out. Sometimes if I'm tired it doesn't even matter who I'm talking to, I just can't get a coherent thought out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used to stammer for 4 years of my life, so I know what it feels like. How I overcame it was, ironically, not to think about it. The less I thought about my stammer, the less I stammered. Also, tell yourself it's okay to stammer and make mistakes. Hope you can get over this.

Other than that I have a hard time verbalizing what I think. I can think about topics in-depth, but when I repeat to people it comes out all wrong.
I've tried this and its definitely helped me ~ I think the worst thing is when I do finally manage to respond and people don't acknowledge it. =/ That basically just makes me give up for the rest of the conversation and accept that I'll never be able to partake like a normal person, which I realize is also a self fulfilling prophecy.

Ah well, I'll keep trying, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
IRL I try to be articulate but I'm either prone to stammering/general awkwardness or I'm under the belief that my peers will find my pretentious and therefore, I don't bother trying to speak eloquently. Through all forms of text/writing, I tend to try and write the way I want to speak.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I am generally pretty articulate, to the extent that people comment on it, but I think it's partly because I don't really have any anxiety in terms of the literal act of talking. Conversation is another story, but I find breaking it into listening and speaking makes it easier to me to be articulate/well-spoken, and handle conversation better in terms of anxiety. It's almost entirely semantic, but the shift in thinking helps me.

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
Pretty *****ing bad. Having Tourette's also doesn't help.

·
SAS Member
8800 blue lick road
42,179 Posts
I got told 'I'm surprised to hear you have SA I wouldn't have guessed' when I went to one too. Also 'Wow I wouldn't have guessed you were 23 you look a lot younger.' Every time lol. But yeah it depends, especially on my mood.

·
seduced by gravity
246 Posts
This is an interesting problem, because my issue is that, being 23, I have always had trouble articulating as well as I'd like to in person regardless of who it is I'm talking to - fam, friends, coworkers, strangers, etc. However, I was working at a call center for 5 years up until a year ago and I was ALWAYS able to articulate and let my speaking flow very well and be in control of the convo with no issues at all while I was talking to customers over the phone.

But yet if I am talking to someone I knew personally over the phone, I have trouble with articulation :(

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm a wreck in person. When I get ready to speak my anxiety totally blocks me from being able to focus on what I want to say, so mid sentence I'll forget what point I was trying to make or where I was trying to take the conversation. :blank

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
I'm a wreck in person. When I get ready to speak my anxiety totally blocks me from being able to focus on what I want to say, so mid sentence I'll forget what point I was trying to make or where I was trying to take the conversation. :blank
I remember you! Welcome back. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts