Votes: 24 13.3%

Votes: 21 11.7%

Votes: 18 10.0%
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the year is almost out so I figured I'd ask this to all you fellow SASers out there...

I'd have to give this year a 5. It seems to be a turning point year for me, as I'm slowly starting to move myself out of this seemingly interminable rut that I've been in. I got out of my small underground apartment and out into a better place of my own, along with some other things to help me out. Plus my brother is now looking out for me so that's a plus.

The downside is that I still don't feel like I've made much progress mentally and as far as obtaining a social life that is satisfying on a decent level. Couple in with the fact that I've had this mental state for at least a decade now, this just only compounds my impatience. Hopefully that'll change next year and I'll be "on my way".

So how was this year for everyone else?

·
Banned
4,683 Posts
10. I found this site, and I gotten over a lot of my problems. My grades went up sharply, I lost my virginity, I'm more confident now, I lost weight, and I think I finally kicked SA's rear end. I doubt my SA would be gone completely, though. I was also miserable for not finding a girlfriend yet. I'm single, but this is the happiest I ever felt in years.

·
Banned
3,564 Posts
8. The SA is bad, but like you this year was a turning point for me. My last... 3.5 years were no higher than a 2. Last year was a -10. But this year was a huge improvement for me considering how horrible I felt. I'm very proud of myself honestly, I never would have imagined I'd feel this way a year ago. I hoped I would but I honestly didn't believe in myself. I think if I keep this up, with some good luck here and there and if I meet the right people (possibly find the right girl) I can get my social life going. That coupled with my writing being recognized would be a dream come true for me :boogie

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
8. I gotta agree that this site has really helped me evolve socially. I always used to think negatively about everything... Not knowing what my condition was. I initially came here to try to understand people with a lot of anxiety or something like that or to help other people out but i began to realize that I had some problems of my own still and i think because I've been able to solve them or most of them my life has improved and so have I.

·
Registered
75 Posts
5. This summer was absolutely amazing and I really thought it was a huge turning point in my life. As soon as it was over and I went back to school, I couldn't tell you what happened but everything went downhill. I haven't talked to any of my friends, I've returned to old habits I thought I would never have to face again, my anxiety has gotten worse and actually getting help looms over me as something way more scary than just dealing with it and continue doing what I'm doing, even though I know I'm not happy. The first half of the year is just sort of a blur, I don't remember anything particularly good or particularly bad about it.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
8. The SA is bad, but like you this year was a turning point for me. My last... 3.5 years were no higher than a 2. Last year was a -10. But this year was a huge improvement for me considering how horrible I felt. I'm very proud of myself honestly, I never would have imagined I'd feel this way a year ago. I hoped I would but I honestly didn't believe in myself. I think if I keep this up, with some good luck here and there and if I meet the right people (possibly find the right girl) I can get my social life going. That coupled with my writing being recognized would be a dream come true for me :boogie
Thats the spirit!! I am happy for you. :)

·
Banned
3,564 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

It would be lower, and as sad as this sounds, I had one weekend in the summer when I went away with a few friends and I had such a great time that it kind of made this year a little better. The only bad thing though is that I constantly think about that weekend and relive everything that happened because it just seemed that for those 3 days and nights my SA was non existent and I did things I never imagined I would be able to do.

·
Rat in a cage
393 Posts
7. I've made a dent in my anxiety and made some progress. Got a lot of heavy stuff done like a couple of surgeries and such, which in the end helped me feel better about my appearance. It's been OK, I suppose.

·
Registered
486 Posts
9. This has been one of my better years. My worst moment was in March when I got rejected by a girl that I had really liked. Everything else has gone pretty well for the most part. I really grew as a person during the summer while I was working at a summer camp. I earned a 3.8 GPA this semester at college, my best grades ever. I made a bunch of new friends. I have been talking a lot more to people. I have grown a lot spiritually as well. I capped off my year by asking out a gorgeous girl that I had been crushing on and we have gone out a few times already.

It's been a great year overall, looking forward to an even better 2012.

·
Next to normal
2,727 Posts
About a 3 or 4, maybe 4. It started out kind of bad when I switched roommates and had even more problems with them than the last and basically lived in my room and would starve to avoid them. Then the summer was really stressful for me because I was forced to learn how to drive because I decided to transfer close to home and needed to commut back and forth to school. Learning how to drive was and is still really hard for me and my dad made it worse with yelling at me when he taught me and it made my summer depressing. I also got depressed after the summer when I transferred and came back home. I've never been this depressed in my life. I hope next year will be better and I'll be mature enough to move out of this house soon.

·
Believe in yourself
291 Posts
About a 8. I'd say the highlight of it was my college graduation, which allowed me to obtain my degree. Other than that, I haven't really did vastly different this yr. I'm looking forward to making drastic changes next yr, so I can't wait for a new start.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Highs and lows....my depression getting the worst it's been in awhile and me losing my voice (figuratively) for a bit make it a 6.

·
Banned
12,909 Posts
5/10

Graduating HS was the best part of this year as well as my college orientation...too bad college isn't nearly is amazing as orientation made it seem.

·
Sooo..come here often?
204 Posts
Well, the year is almost out so I figured I'd ask this to all you fellow SASers out there...

I'd have to give this year a 5. It seems to be a turning point year for me, as I'm slowly starting to move myself out of this seemingly interminable rut that I've been in. I got out of my small underground apartment and out into a better place of my own, along with some other things to help me out. Plus my brother is now looking out for me so that's a plus.

The downside is that I still don't feel like I've made much progress mentally and as far as obtaining a social life that is satisfying on a decent level. Couple in with the fact that I've had this mental state for at least a decade now, this just only compounds my impatience. Hopefully that'll change next year and I'll be "on my way".

So how was this year for everyone else?
An 8 for me. Many good things happened in this year. BUT the SA is still a big part of it and my social life is still pretty much non-existant. Would like for it to change though I know it would probably stay the same. Been that way since forever and I don't see how something that I've grown so accustomed to will change overnight. Something worth working on - or at least try to. My biggest problem is I find it hard to trust people and with my luck when I do make new friends, we live far apart. Most of the ones I currently have are already married, or have social lives and I don't want to be a burden so I just keep to myself.

On the upside: I've learned to strike up random conversations with strangers from time to time, on better days. Not too fond of drawing unnecessary attention to myself - the fact that I'm 5'8, almost 5'9 does a pretty good job already. But it's nice to know that there are people out there who are approachable enough to just make small talk with someone they don't know from a bar of soap :yes

And it also helps to smile a lot. Lately I've found that I'm not quite as shy in the car anymore though I do sometimes avoid looking at the car next to me at a traffic light because I just get that feeling that they're staring at me. So I just look straight ahead, no matter how badly I want to look at them... All in all, not too bad a year. Will keep getting better at this whole socializing thing. In time.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
6/10. Slightly above average.

I found this site
My confidence has gone up somewhat
The Iraq War is over
The economy is improving

Actually, I think I should've given this year a 7/10.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts