·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
die

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I graduated in 07 and can hardly remember most of it, I remember what the place look like and how I sat there till I got my "fake" diploma and then walked back after it was all over to get the real diploma and then met my parents and went home, overall not as special as some people would have you believe.

As for women crying, well, I see it all the time, happened on the last day of middle school, when any pets die, watching someone come out of Twilight on opening night(went with my sister), not trying to be sexist but I can think of many situations where there is some girl out there who would cry for it, even if it isin't sad or great or anything.

·
Registered
433 Posts
It was miserable, but in a different way.

My last name has a long history of being mispronounced. It's Laux, but most people think it's "Lau" or "Law", when really it's pronounced "Locks".

At the graduation rehearsal, one of the teachers who was reading off all the names went through the names to make sure the pronunciations were correct. He mispronounces my last name (no surprise), and a lot of people shout "Locks!", which I was surprised that so many people in my class actually knew me. The teacher says "Yeah yeah, 'locks', whatever." That offended me, and I had a bad feeling of what was to come.

Graduation day, I drive over to the building myself. The building is actually a basketball arena for a major local university. I lined up near the podium, and the woman there tells me to smile. Yeah right, I knew what was coming. Of course, my last name gets mispronounced. The crowd corrected him, but he didn't bother, and it's obviously too late because it was captured on people's camcorders. I quickly walked over to get my diploma, shook the principal's hand, and walked off.

I just couldn't wait to storm out of the building after that. I was so pissed. After the ceremony was over, I walked as fast I could to my car. I didn't bother with friends, because they were too busy talking to their other friends. I was like a ghost. I'm surprised I didn't get pulled over for a speeding ticket that day; I must've been going 60 in a 35 or 40.

My parents got home later, and talked about how my last name got mispronounced. Afterwards, they emailed the principal about the mispronunciation, and that was it. There was nothing memorable about my graduation. I think people make too big of a deal out of it. My parents took about a dozen photos, and there was one professional photo of my frown reacting from my name mispronunciation.

It's funny though, because now that I think about it, my high school graduation pretty much summed up my high school experience. Hardly any friends, and my name got mispronounced all the ****ing time.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Mine was pretty good actually- I was looking forward to college, I had done well my last year in HS and was proud of that, I had made some good friends in my last two years of HS and I was beginning to become more social, I was shocked that when I crossed the stage to get my diploma a ton of my classmates actually cheered and yelled my name and clapped and I was also shocked that one girl I had always thought was the hottest girl in class came over to me and hugged me, I remember seeing my grandparents there and family. It was actually a pretty good day. I wish every day after that had been that good.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine wasn't that bad, better than I thought it would be. Pretty boring though.

The thing that I didn't like was our school tradition of having the students who had 3.6 GPAs or higher wear gold robes and everyone else wear purple ones. My GPA was 3.4 but I still felt stupid. Our class actually signed a petition against calling the gold robes seperately. I actally wanted to skip my graduation but finally decided to humor my family and go.

Go to an out of state college, will probably have them send my diploma when I graduate, don't really feel like flying halfway across the country for a long ceremony and a piece of paper that's taken me 7 years to get. We'll see though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There was nothing memorable about my graduation. I think people make too big of a deal out of it.
Exactly why im not spending 40 bucks to rent a damn gown. Im not even going to the thing.

I don't like people.

I don't like 'ceremony's'.

I don't like tradition.

I don't like attention.

I don't like wasting money on useless ****.

I cant think of one good reason to go.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
They announced the wrong name for me. The girl who was ahead of me in rehearsal never showed up. So I crossed the stage being recognized as some goth chick named September with about 11 piercing in her face who never attended class.

·
Protector of the Den
15,158 Posts
I finished my diploma early at a career center. I didn't bother going to the career center's graduation ceremony. It wasn't like I actually knew anyone there. Since I left my high school, I wasn't a part of their graduation ceremony either. I'm lucky that I received a diploma at all. My dad talked me out of a graduation party. I doubt there would have been a large turn out anyway. None of my, so called, friends invited me to their parties. They just told be about the great times they had. Only one person(a family member), other than my parents, actually congratulated me on my graduation and gave me a gift. I'm glad my high school days are behind me. Those days will not be missed.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
The ceremony was kind of lame. I accidentally got out of place in line because I followed another guy, assuming he knew what he was doing.

After the ceremony, everyone (teachers included) went to the bar to celebrate. Those were the days of OAC (an additional year of high school meant to prepare you for university) so most of us were drinking age by that point (graduation took place during the fall, months after HS had ended). That was kind of cool I guess. My drunken former geography teacher told me I should be a farmer, and one of the popular girls apologised to me and my friends for being such an evil b*tch all through high school.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
The ceremony was kind of lame. I accidentally got out of place in line because I followed another guy, assuming he knew what he was doing.

After the ceremony, everyone (teachers included) went to the bar to celebrate. Those were the days of OAC (an additional year of high school meant to prepare you for university) so most of us were drinking age by that point (graduation took place during the fall, months after HS had ended). That was kind of cool I guess. My drunken former geography teacher told me I should be a farmer, and one of the popular girls apologised to me and my friends for being such an evil b*tch all through high school.
What is drinking age in Canada, 18? Drinking with your HS teachers actually sounds like fun- I'd have fun drinking with some of my college profs...tho I actually probably wouldn't have liked drinking with my HS teachers back when I was that age, I probably would have been weirded out. Bet it would be fun if you were a teacher tho.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
What is drinking age in Canada, 18? Drinking with your HS teachers actually sounds like fun- I'd have fun drinking with some of my college profs...tho I actually probably wouldn't have liked drinking with my HS teachers back when I was that age, I probably would have been weirded out. Bet it would be fun if you were a teacher tho.
Drinking age is 19 in my province. There were a few people who couldn't go because their birthdays weren't until after Thanksgiving.

I think the teachers had a great time. OAC was a very casual kind of year for people at my school, so by the time we graduated it didn't feel weird to drink a pitcher with your math teacher.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mine was ok, but I hated it. Last time I saw someone who meant a lot to me. Everyone else did the typical thing and went to college, military, etc. Only the others losers like myself stayed in this worthless little town.

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
I wasn't allowed to go; I failed Algebra and had to go to summer school. Not much of a loss considering I couldn't wait for it all to end.

·
Banned
877 Posts
Stupid question but,

are you required to get out of your seat and walk on stage alone or is there a line of students going along with you, just curious?

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
Mine was okay. I would of been contempt not going, but my parent's wanted me to go. They never made my brother go, but he graduated early. He was taking some college classes when he was a senior which counted toward his HS credits so he only had to go one semester of his senior year. No one cheered me and I didn't even say goodbye to anyone. After I shook all the parent's hands I got the heck out of there. I could care less about those people that create hell for me. They never gave any crap about me. It was like being paroled from prison.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,113 Posts
Hot and boring.
395 Graduating Seniors and their families packed into a non-air conditioned gym for 2 hours, sitting on wooden bleachers and metal folding chairs.

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
Hot and boring.
395 Graduating Seniors and their families packed into a non-air conditioned gym for 2 hours, sitting on wooden bleachers and metal folding chairs.
It was lucky it was a cool day when I graduated. It is usually very hot and humid that time of year in southern Iowa.

·
one stop away
1,454 Posts
My high school graduation was really a joke. I got to sit outside in a covered area and listen to the stupid football coach give a motivational speech. And the people who sat next to me wouldn't stop talking throughout the entire ceremony! I felt like I had always felt--I just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. And then after the ceremony we all piled in a school bus and went to a really lame arcade for our grad night. It was ridiculous. I am definitely not walking at my college graduation. I'll be just fine with a diploma sent to me in the mail.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
I didn't go to it. I officially graduated two months later, so I recieved my diploma in the teacher's lounge with a couple of teachers, the assistant principal, and the principal.

I sort of regret that I didn't graduate with everyone else, but that would have been nerve wracking for me. I attended the graduation the year before it (one of my friends was graduating), and just sitting in the audience made me nervous. Too many people.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts