Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title says. I have one of these things (exactly like this)

It takes a while to build up endurance to stay on it long enough to do any good but the real problem is my knees hurt something awful for days if I just use it for like a minute.

So my question is (If anyone knows), am I actually damaging my knees or does it just take a while for your knees to get used to the punishment?

I used to use it like 10 years ago or something and I know if I can build up my endurance it really burns fat but I don't remember my knees hurting this bad. Give me any info you have or any thoughts at all. I need to figure out how to use this thing again and I can't buy anything better.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You might want to check if you have arthritis. Inflammation causes both anxiety and weak joints.

Also read the reviews for that product if this is very common.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Not sure about a stair master hurting my knees, but my left knee starts hurting if I run on the treadmill often(cause of martial arts I used to do which has made my knee a bit sensitive). I prefer the elliptical, doesn't bother my knee at all.

·
INTJ
108 Posts
I've had bad knees and joints since childhood. I was told by my doctor and workout partner to wear I wear orthotic insoles whenever I run, use a stair climber or kick box and the shoes you pick out are also important...but if you don't have bad knees or joints to begin with...then I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Is there any height adjustment on the equipment? It may be improperly aligned with your body.

Also if you sit alot your knees may hurt from this.

You could try knee exercises that will help strengthen your knees.

http://www.pamf.org/sports/king/kneerehab.html

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/knee_injuries/a/aa082603a.htm

I like to sit down on the floor with one knee bent and the other straight.
Push your bent heel down to the floor to put some resistance on your knee.
Hold for about 10 seconds. Do 5reps.

Knee rehabilitation strength exercises

- Pretty informative

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
It's possible that you have the beginning of arthritis &/or Chondromalacia Patella (softening of the underside of the kneecaps) which is caused by a quadriceps imbalance pulling the kneecap out of alignment. So, like with any exercise, you'll need to build up gradually. It would be best if you didn't even start out with the stair climber, perhaps strengthen your quads with a few squats a day, or wall sits.

I recommend this program, but starting out on the easiest level. Don't try to go higher or you'll be in a world of hurt!

http://www.twohundredsquats.com/

Also, you don't have to reach the end of two hundred, just find a happy middle ground.

You'll need to strengthen the hamstrings too.

Do these exercises every other day, or every two days when you first start out. Then, when (hopefully) your pain decreases after a 4-6 weeks, attempt the stair climber. Again, you'll have to work up gradually according to tolerance.

Expect to have a slight increase in pain initially, but if it continues to get worse, back off.

If you don't get out much, you might want to have your vitamin D levels tested, as painful knees can be symptomatic of deficiency. Either that, or start supplementing your diet with 1000-2000 IU of D3 per day.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses.

In response to the recommendation for other exercises, that's what I was trying to avoid. Really, even the stepper is more strenuous than I really wanted to do. Like I said, I only tried to use it because I can't afford a treadmill and my SA keeps me from just going outside and walking. I HATE exercises like squats and so forth. I used to have a teacher that punished us by making us do wall sits so that's permanently in my brain as punishment.

I know this sounds like I'm just arguing for the sake of it but I wanted something that was easy enough that I wouldn't give up in a week or less. This is why I never did pushups or anything. It's just too hard and I give up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts