Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about finally going to see someone to help me with SA. I'm sure they are going to ask me question (or interview me, if you will) about my problems and experiences. I know I am going to be anxious and nervous...I already have a hard time talking to people, so how am I going to be able to cleary & thoroughly explain my problems to the doctor without being able to think about what I'm going to say & "rehearse" it in my mind beforehand?

·
Clever Status Title
1,049 Posts
Create a list of symptoms you experience, things you feel, situations you feel it in etc. It'll help you be proactive if you do become anxious for some reason it won't reduce the effectivity of the visit. If you are seeing a GP, you may need to do some research on Social Anxiety, as not all GP's are par with it. If you're seeing a mental health professional, just make the list.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Best advice I can give is simple--just be honest. An open and honest conversation with your doctor or therapist is needed for them to be able to help you. I remember countless times going into see my therapist or doctor and not being completely upfront about my situations or feelings, not because I am some liar, but because my SA scared me into not revealing my true feelings or I would fear that they would judge me. I had a therapist who, most likely could sense this, and she said to me, "I am not going to judge you. I am here to help. Our discussions are confidential, nothing we disucuss leaves this room.

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
Tell them you get severe anxiety in social situations that goes well beyond mere shyness and is impacting on your ability to live normally. At this point they generally ask you a few simple pre-written questions they have for people with anxiety disorders, which while not medically the best method of diagnosis is at least fairly painless to sit through. You should be fine with it if you can get over your nerves and actually go, once you are there it really isn't as bad as you'd imagine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.